Green Disney?

Just wondering if anyone knows if Disney does anything substantial environmentally at the resort.

I know they have a massive trash sorting facility that reduces landfill (which saves them a lot of money). They also have a lot of bottle/can recycling bins.

I know they are also test bed for a number of transportation technology as well.

But beyond that anything large?

Why am I asking this? Well they are a large consumer of power (it was reported they consume 10% of a nuclear power plant and that is just a fraction of what the resort uses) and then tell use visitors to be more earth friendly.

They seem to have a lot of roof space for solar cell and solar water heaters. They could with solar water heaters (in sunny Florida) reduce dramatically the energy used to heating resort water (tap and/or pool). Or how about cover some of the roofs in parks with PV. Those attraction roofs are hugh! I am sure that imagineering could spare a few people to work on this.

I know they can’t provide base load but they could lower their drag on the power use in the region by providing fill power during peak usage. This would also help lower their energy cost.

Anyone know of anything Disney might be doing?

I have an excellent contact at WDW.

I’ll be back.

I know they do recycle @ wdw. FW has excellent recycling facilities. I think Disney has a green website regarding the whole environment for the resorts. I’ve seen it but I can’t remember where I’ve seen it.

They have an incredible trash sort and recycling system. I am wondering if they are doing anything substantial beyond that.

I saw a story over the weekend that said the WDW consumed 10% of the power generated by a nuclear plant…and that was only a fraction of what they consume.

I wonder how many watts the resort consumes a day…hmmm…I am sure that it inflates the price of tickets.

The solar thing really makes you think. They could heat all the pools by solar power, to say nothing of the resorts.

I think most major corporations now are paying lip service to the Environmentalists by trying to demonstrate they are aware of the global warming issues and other evironmental causes.
I know Disney ask in the resort rooms to be sparing with the towels as to save on water and electricity etc, however, it then seems incredulous then that most of the resorts and parks are then over lit, over air conditioned (or heated) which then negates the good intention.
I think it would be far more feasable if they just stated that due to the very nature of their business it would be difficult to be 100% environmentally friendly but they do what they can with what means they have. Thats as fair as they can be in their sort of industry.

Great topic! I have seen a few can and bottle bins around but not very many. I also see most people ignoring the use of them. The amount of plastic trash is humongous, even mind boggling! What does WDW actually do to “sort trash”? Could they reduce the amount of plastic they use versus recycle it? We all need to REUSE, RECYLE, AND RESTORE!

I did notice that on my last visit it seemed they didn’t have the AC on. It was only in the mid 70’s but when you cram all those people in a room waiting to enter an attraction it gets a little muggy. Also HM and PotC didn’t have that familiar chill.

I know that PV are expensive but you would think that they could get a sponsor to show case the case for solar energy. Think how much cooler the roofs of those building would look too!

(The state of FL needs to update their laws making solar energy more attractive as well. Funny the Sunshine State is one of the most anti-solar energy States I have lived in.)

Thus far I have seen more ‘signage’ for guests to please turn everything off when the rooms are not occupied. At the DVC homes, they leave cards in the bathroom to reuse your towels. Though passive, signs and explainations can be an effective way to to pressure your guests. A great idea I saw in the UK is that your guest/room card acts as your power card. You put the card in slot in the room and that completes the circuit for high consumption appliances. Once you leave the room with your card, it shuts the power off in a few minutes.
While doing the Segway tour, they mentioned that all the water they use for the flowers is recycled from the storm drains. I really think Disney does what it can to leave less of a foot print than other corperations.

[QUOTE=tigger;1026286]I did notice that on my last visit it seemed they didn’t have the AC on. It was only in the mid 70’s but when you cram all those people in a room waiting to enter an attraction it gets a little muggy. Also HM and PotC didn’t have that familiar chill.

[/QUOTE]

I’ve DEFINATELY noticed this change in the past year or two. I remember last June entering SO many stores & attractions shocked to find it was nearly more hot & stuffy inside.

[QUOTE=dixie;1026280]I think most major corporations now are paying lip service to the Environmentalists by trying to demonstrate they are aware of the global warming issues and other evironmental causes.
I know Disney ask in the resort rooms to be sparing with the towels as to save on water and electricity etc, however, it then seems incredulous then that most of the resorts and parks are then over lit, over air conditioned (or heated) which then negates the good intention.
I think it would be far more feasable if they just stated that due to the very nature of their business it would be difficult to be 100% environmentally friendly but they do what they can with what means they have. Thats as fair as they can be in their sort of industry.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post Dixie. I think they could start with the things that they have “complete” control over - like the solar-heating for the pools. I religiously separate my recyclables. But then one day I saw both our garbage and our recycle bin being dumped into the same dumpster by a CM:laugh: Kind of defeats the purpose.

When we were in the Greek Isles last year we were shocked to learn that at least 75% of all houses and buildings had solar panels on their roofs. They’re given a tax credit for doing it. Very smart people, those Greeks.

It’s seasonal, but I suppose you can count all the LED lights they now use at Christmas, rather than conventional lights. I find them annoying because they are so much darker than standard Christmas lights, and they don’t show up in pictures as well either.

However, they do use about 10% of the energy of standard Christmas lights, or so I’ve been told.

The article I read a few weeks ago said that nuclear plant (that supplies 10% of WDW’s power) has been taken off line and Disney was having to get that power else were or from conservation efforts.

Conservation is ok but real production that would supplement base load would be much better.

FLA needs to catch up with their rules on power production. The power companies (and the State) have a monopoly that needs to be addressed (and yes I am working on that).

They do this at Disney! I only know because the same panels were installed at the Country Club I work at in Jupiter, FL! We were asked by the organization to post signage around alerting people of the usage. When I was talking to their designer, she asked me if I wanted to use the same signage Disney used, just replacing their logo with ours . . . of course I said YES! :happy:

Disney is also using the energy efficient bulbs in all their rooms. When you walk in and turn on the light, there is the low glow that gets brighter. They also NO LONGER use the plastic plate covers when you buy CS meal, you have to ASK for one to get one.

I also saw this sign posted in our room (new this last trip, which was this month) So they are doing things to save money & energy.

Here is more info: The Walt Disney Company - Corporate Responsibility

There is a WHOLE team of CM that handpick through the garbage sorting the items. I was talking to a CM on Main Street once and asked (He was higher management) he told me they found that most people put garbage in the recycle bins and recyclable is the garbage so they did away with most of them, and have a sorting facility and “dedicated CMs” that sort the garbage.

Thats one job I would NOT want in Disney!! :blow:

you know what bothers me about all these green movements,is it is the now thing to do,let me explain almost anyone that goes to disney,and stays on property turns the tv on,so in the long run would the green message be better on the tv,and not on the signs telling you to be green,even if the paper is recycled, it is just that recycled,it has to be shipped,made,posted and yes once again discarded…it is about time we in this country really got innovative and not just in with the new movement…like driving a hybrid…save gas,but what about all the extra materials for the batteries and what about there disposal…you do know they weigh a ton…so how much energy is used in just getting those batteries to the plant,what macinery,is used to move them and how much energy is used in their disposal,bottom line is what is the bottom line…just me venting on how easily we are dumbified…and in some cases allowing others to dictate…how intelligent we can be…sorry,i will return back to my original programming…21 days to go …yeah…then i will be able to recycle my love for disney,see i am doing my part…ha ha

I agree it would be really difficult to be 100% eco-friendly for any of us :slight_smile: But, Disney can afford to do some of the bigger steps like solar power ect…

I have to say, I did take an extra paper straw from AK to show my friends how cool that was! Why can’t all straws be paper? I mean, most people do not wash and re-use the plastic ones.
I don’t like all of the plastic covers and plates ect…either.
AND, I wish the refillable mugs were marked with a bar code and usable anywhere at Disney. Up the charge to $25 or something. That would be a HUGE saver on waste.

[QUOTE=zoey9797;1026373]I agree it would be really difficult to be 100% eco-friendly for any of us :slight_smile: But, Disney can afford to do some of the bigger steps like solar power ect…

I have to say, I did take an extra paper straw from AK to show my friends how cool that was! Why can’t all straws be paper? I mean, most people do not wash and re-use the plastic ones.
AND, I wish the refillable mugs were marked with a bar code and usable anywhere at Disney. Up the charge to $25 or something. That would be a HUGE saver on waste.[/QUOTE]ah the big picture,someone who thinks outside the box ,be careful someone might listen…next time you are at disney ,notice that on the roofs of the attractions thereare no air condtioning units and find out why…you willbe fascinated …disney always has a long term plan,and yes they will innovate usually before anyone else

[QUOTE=zoey9797;1026373]I agree it would be really difficult to be 100% eco-friendly for any of us :slight_smile: But, Disney can afford to do some of the bigger steps like solar power ect…

AND, I wish the refillable mugs were marked with a bar code and usable anywhere at Disney. Up the charge to $25 or something. That would be a HUGE saver on waste.[/QUOTE]paper straw,had plenty of those when i was kid…and then that new fangled thing PLASTIC became popular…