Gulf coast beaches

Can anyone suggest a gulf area beach that is good for a day trip? Would like to have access to some type of shower facility if possible, even if it is a beach shower just to rinse off the salt water and sand.

We are planning an anniversary trip to “Orlando” for late October…We are doing the Food and Wine festival at EP but that is probably all we will do Disney wise :ohmy: because we will be back in Dec. for the family trip.

Any other suggestions of (dare I say it :crying:) non Disney activities that we would enjoy?

Thanks!

In May we took a day trip (approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes each way) to Sarasota Siesta Key beach. It was by far the most beautiful beach I’ve seen in a long time. It has concessions, showers, picnic tables, and the most beautiful baby powder sand I’ve ever seen. And btw, parking is free.

I agree, we spent a week at Siesta Key Beach in April (we’re going back April 2010). BEAUTIFUL is an understatement!! The sand is actually white quartz, it’s like powdered sugar…and it NEVER gets hot! If you go, you definitely will not be disapointed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. The pictures are just beautiful.

You’re welcome! It’s a really good beach for kids, the waves were AWESOME. Make sure to grab a bogy board…we had such a fun time learning how to ride the waves with the kids. One more thing, there are some really great places in town to stop and grab a meal before heading back to Orlando.

I agree with Siesta Key-absolutely beautiful!!!

I checked out Siesta Key’s website and it looks perfect. Thanks again to the MB family for their wonderful responses

I echo the Siesta Key!! I’ve gone every year for the last 15 years and can’t wait to go back next Spring Break!

those Siesta Key photos are so gorgeous! We spent the day at Fort DeSoto beach and had a wonderful time. It’s a state park, we paid a couple of bucks in tolls and the parking was free. I hope to return some time soon. Link to my flickr pics:

ftdesotobeachchairs on Flickr - Photo Sharing!