"Happiest New Year's Eve EVER" trip report

((Finally got to add my photos))

We got back this morning from WDW (the Newark security breach kept us from getting in last night) and we had the BEST TRIP EVER. I mean really after a dozen or more trips, this was the best! New Years at Disney is awesome!!!

I will be on to give all details, plus pics from my camera and DD’s camera as well. Give me a few hours, and I can show you pics of TT like you have never ever seen before! Plus some really cool tales of true Disney magic and some tales of weird crowd patterns. And I love Saratoga Springs Resort – especially Grandstand Building #8!! Never in a milion years did I think I would love that place so much!

Have to get some unpacking done, chili on the stove and dirty vacation clothes in the laundry, then I will start. :wub::wub::wub::wub:

YAY! I am glad it was such a great trip! I can’t wait to hear & see all the details! :biggrin: Hurry back now, ya hear?!?! :tongue:

stop the presses! you’re actually going to do a trip report??? woot woot!!

Yeah!!! Can’t wait to hear and read all about it :slight_smile:

YEA! I can’t wait to hear about your trip.

I am excited for the TR too because I am thinking that DW and I might head to WDW for New Years next year.

Umm, excuse me!?! I am now home from the gym, ate dinner, and I am here to read more!!!

are you done with the laundry yet??? we’re waiting :slight_smile:

OK, Day 1

We flew down on JetBlue, which was fantastic. On-time everything, TVs for everyone, and our bags arrived at the same time we did. Perfect. My new favorite airline! Remember that last line for when we get to the part of my report about the return flight… LOL!

Now, here’s my dirty little secret: I have never been even a little interested in SSR. But we booked late in the year because we were actually going to WDW for a soccer tournament at World Of Sports and we found out late that DD’s team was accepted. I scrambled to book DVC and was grateful SS had a 1-br for us. So, it was to be SSR, my least favorite DVC property, right? I thought it was far away from the action, too peaceful, too generic, not magical. I avoided it every trip. So I was prepared to do the whole “anything to be at Disney” routine, right?

I had called Member Services and told them that I would love a golf course view room because DH is a rabid golfer. I also said that because we were travelling with teens who would be getting around WDW on their own, that it would be cool if we were in Grandstand or Springs – I knew I was being a total greedy pig to make such specific special requests, but you know how it is… ask and sometimes it magically happens.

We got onto property, and were totally surprised by the incredible beauty of the grounds, and the fun theming of the pool areas. The CMs were very enthusiastic about their jobs, and their happiness was really contagious. We were given Room 8303 in Grandstand, and when we arrived at the building, we realized that we had been given a HUGE gift… our view was the 10th fairway fo LBV Golf Course, the first bus stop for SS was immediately outside our door, and we were a two-minute walk from the main building with front desk, dining etc… Wow what a room – the usual floor plan, but such beautiful fabrics and materials!!! We were also just about 3 minutes from the dock for the DTD boats! This was so great!

The groceries arrived and we found that the Artists Palette restaurant had excellent turkey-brie sandwiches that we practically lived on for the whole week! The pool nearest us was themed like a racetrack.

DH played golf at LBV that first day (he wasn’t happy with his score!) and the kids and I hung out in the hot tub… can’t tell you hopw many hours we logged in that hot tub all week!

SSR is my new favorite property!!! Seriously I mean that!

We all got ready for dinner at CG and we took a quick monorail tour before dinner. I have to recommend a dish that was insanely good – the Malibu Roll, which is mostly tuna with other fishes and caviar and an amazing sauce (maybe yuzu? ponzu?) YUM! We are pretty jaded sushi eaters, and this roll really impressed!!! Should be on everyone’s appetizer list.

Photos: At the GF, some reindeer for Christmas. Love them.

Night 1

After dinner at CG, we monorailed over to MK and arrived just after the parade ended. The kids raced over to Space and DH and I strolled over to Adventureland – when we crossed over the tiki bridge, the place was deserted! In fact, I thought the section might be closed, and we were sort of looking to see if anyone was even working at Dole Whips! DD texted that there was an 80-minute wait for Space at the same time we arrived at Pirates to find it was walk-on! So we texted back and they met us at the exit and we all rode again… PEOPLE, Pirates was walk-on in the middle of the evening!

The four of us wandered over to Frontierland and rode BTMRR twice as well. Now, here is Magical Moment #1: On our first ride on BTMRR, the finale of Wishes was going on, and we watched the best part of the show while riding the coaster, and it was like having the best seats in the house for the best show in the house!!! It had neve rhappened to me before and it was so exciting and a moment I will never forget! We’d come out of a cave and be surrounded by fireworks! Absolutely unbelievable!!!

Next we rode HM twice as well, then DH and I headed back to SS and the kids (18 years and 17 years haha) stayed and played. I actually don’t know exactly when they got home that night… maybe midnight or so! Having older teens at WDW is such a luxury!!! They finally got on Space, but said somebody had left a basement light on and they could see the tracks and everything in the room!

Photos: Walk-on at Pirates after dinner – where the heck are those Christmas crowds? I mean seriously… they were letting empty boats go!

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1011040]Night 1

Now, here is Magical Moment #1: On our first ride on BTMRR, the finale of Wishes was going on, and we watched the best part of the show while riding the coaster, and it was like having the best seats in the house for the best show in the house!!! It had neve rhappened to me before and it was so exciting and a moment I will never forget! We’d come out of a cave and be surrounded by fireworks! Absolutely unbelievable!!!
[/QUOTE]

We had that happen when we were on Splash once! It was so nice - I know exactly what you are talking about!

Wow, glad your trip was so great! I have never been interested in SS either, maybe I should try it out some time!

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1011040]

The four of us wandered over to Frontierland and rode BTMRR twice as well. Now, here is Magical Moment #1: On our first ride on BTMRR, the finale of Wishes was going on, and we watched the best part of the show while riding the coaster, and it was like having the best seats in the house for the best show in the house!!! It had neve rhappened to me before and it was so exciting and a moment I will never forget! We’d come out of a cave and be surrounded by fireworks! Absolutely unbelievable!!!

I had the same experience on BTTM! You feel like you could reach out and touch them.

Great TR so far! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed SSR, it is my home resort and I find it so relaxing there. More people should give it a try !

can’t wait for more…I love TR, I can live vicariously through others:laugh:

Great TR so far. SSR is beautiful. Those flat bread pizzas are sogood.
When my oldest was 2ish we went to wdw and while on dumbo we seen the fireworks. It was the best wdw memory i have had to date. Looking foward to the rest.

YAY! I am glad you loved SSR & your room, I disliked the resort greatly at first but I definately warmed up to it eventually. It sounds like you had the PERFECT location & view!

I love that you had such a magical moment on BTMRR! :biggrin:

It’s funny how many people want to book “anything but SSR” but when they actually STAY there, they end up saying the exact same thing. :laugh:

Saratoga Springs is seriously under rated by DVC members.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1011040]Night 1

After dinner at CG, we monorailed over to MK and arrived just after the parade ended. The kids raced over to Space and DH and I strolled over to Adventureland – when we crossed over the tiki bridge, the place was deserted! In fact, I thought the section might be closed, and we were sort of looking to see if anyone was even working at Dole Whips! DD texted that there was an 80-minute wait for Space at the same time we arrived at Pirates to find it was walk-on! So we texted back and they met us at the exit and we all rode again… PEOPLE, Pirates was walk-on in the middle of the evening!

Next we rode HM twice as well, then DH and I headed back to SS and the kids (18 years and 17 years haha) stayed and played. I actually don’t know exactly when they got home that night… maybe midnight or so! Having older teens at WDW is such a luxury!!! They finally got on Space, but said somebody had left a basement light on and they could see the tracks and everything in the room![/QUOTE]

It is just amazing to be on that ride during Wishes. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1011086]It’s funny how many people want to book “anything but SSR” but when they actually STAY there, they end up saying the exact same thing. :laugh:

Saratoga Springs is seriously under rated by DVC members.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is exactly right!I never felt far from anything, and in fact I think that it’s faster bus service from SSR to MK than it is from BWV to MK!

Day and Night 2

Animal Kingdom day!!! I was picking up an extra ticket at the ticket window first thing, and it took so long that we sent the kids on inside and DH and I waited at the window. Once it all got resolved, they ended up giving me a special fast pass good for any ride at any time… for four people!!! Yes, magical passes do exist. I have a photo of it, and I will post it later.
So, we finally got through the gates and headed over to Kilmanjaro, just in time for the kids to meet up with us after getting FPs for EE. We were in the front row and it was a bit of a problem because we kept wanting to laugh at our poor driver – he was absolutely racing through his lines so that he was talking a blue streak that nobody could understand. WOW! It ended up being very amusing, because we never understood a single word he uttered, and everyone on board was laughing, just in stitches.
Next up was a quick burger at Restaurantosaurus (love the mushrooms on the condiments bar!) - but why do they only have double burgers? Who eats double burgers???
Then off to Dinosaur and then to use the FPs for EE. My poor DH was trying to film the kids coming out of the cave and whipping around the track, but every single person looked like our kids, and so he filmed about a zillion people on that ride, none of whom are related to us… if any of you were riding that day, we probably have you on film. Let me know and I will send you a copy of your ride. Haha!
Back to SSE for more hot-tubbing (ahhhhh love this hot tub, did I mention that already?) and then off to Wolfgang Puck’s for an early dinner. Now this summer I ate with DSat WPC, and it was phenomenal. This time… BLECH! Really awful. The only good dishes were the artichoke dip and the macadamia chicken. I had the meatloaf which was raw and bland. My DH had a sausage and tomato pizza, and again, the sausage was raw and hey had managed to burn the crust. My son ordered ravioli and meatballs that tasted like the ones we buy frozen at the grocery store.
Ah well. can’t all be winners, right?
We were ready for a low-key evening, so we kicked around DTD and Marketplace and PI areas and had a lovely time, at least as long as we could stand the cold. We had taken only fleece jackets, and they came up way short of keeping us warm all week!
Good news about the cold: I really think it kep the park crowds pretty manageable and a little savvy navigation let us do pretty much all attractions we wanted to do!

Photo: The magical FP for any ride, any time!!!