Has Anyone Done the Illuminations Cruise Recently?

We are going to do this in August for DH’s birthday. He has never been on it (I have but it was several years ago, before the pricing and policies changed). For the first time, I have found the information on allears to be slightly confusing and even contradictory.

(btw: I didn’t make the reservation, a person I don’t know booked it and we are sharing the cruise.)

Are the snacks/beverages included or not? Allears says you must arrange it through YC private dining and cannot bring your own, but the Disney website says they are included.

Can anyone give me more specific information?

The last time we did the cruise was October 2007.
They still have some snacks and drinks, but nothing special, or at least did at the time.
I’m assuming that All Ears is saying if you want anything specific or anything more substantial, you’ll need to set it up with the Yacht Club’s private dining/room service people.
I sense you’ll still have questions, so either call WDW-PLAY and ask them first or go directly to the Yacht’s private dining office.

I think when the price changed Disney added some chips and drinks. I’m guessing if you want more than that you can add it for a fee.

Have fun on the cruise, we used to try to book one every trip until the price went too high. We would still do it for special celebrations but not like we used to.

There are some new fireworks cruises that start in July (I think) - I read about them on allears.

Okay, that makes sense now. Allears says you cannot bring your own food or drink and if you want something you have to arrange it thru dining. So if they have even something little, it will be more than enough. Thanks guys.

I don’t know if it’s changed or not but we always took water or other drinks on the cruise and the CMs didn’t seem to care. At one time there was some rule about proving you bought the food and drink from WDW but no one ever asked for proof. I don’t think the CMs care about a simple drink, maybe a full dinner but not a drink or simple snack.

I took the Capt. Nemo cruise once. I didn’t see squat.

I wonder if we’d be pushing our luck to bring a bottle of champagne for the birthday boy?

I figured the CM’s wouldn’t care too much since they can take tips.

Uhh Boss… :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That’s because you were blindfolded and weren’t allowed access to the periscope or SONAR.

[QUOTE=ddoll;967182]I wonder if we’d be pushing our luck to bring a bottle of champagne for the birthday boy?

I figured the CM’s wouldn’t care too much since they can take tips.

Uhh Boss… :laugh::laugh::laugh:[/QUOTE]

In 2007 we brought our own liquor to mix w/ the sodas they provided in WDW shopping bags. I tipped the captain as we went on what he normally would get after the cruise. Then I gave him another 20 for allowing us to mix our own drinks and not saying anything. I did set up what soadas we wanted. Bring your own juices if needed. And water bottles were available.

Had thought about booking it for our anni this year till I read the reviews on it. The amt of excessive smoke apparently was unappealing while being water level with the show. I remember watching in '07 from Me-e-co and all the smoke looming so I could understand what they were saying. Other that it sounds like a party.:cool:

Actually, whether you have smoke near you is dependent on which way the wind is blowing that night. It could blow on you no matter where you sit around the WS. We’ve done the cruise with no smoke coming our way and have watched on the bridge many times without it too. The wind blows from all over and some people somewhere around the WS will have to cough. :happy:

Can you tell me specifically what was provided for you? Did they ask you for preferences, or was it just pre-packaged?

As Ddoll posted, the smoke has everything to do with which way the wind is blowing and nothing to do with being on the water and nothing to do with any specific location on World Showcase Lagoon.
In fact, we’ve done three cruises as well as watching from the bridge above 6 times and have not once been smoked out.
On the other hand, I’ve been totally smoked out in Canada and the sit down area at the top of WSLagoon isn’t even opened up many nights because the wind is blowing south to north.

Our cruise was prepackaged with the minimum snacks and beverages (beer, soda, and chips). I don’t recall if I was offered any upgrades. I was just happy to even be able to get the boat. Basically, all of the boats were locked up between 7 and 8 AM 90 days out.
As I’ve posted before, it’s a lot easier to get a boat for MK fireworks than it is for Illuminations because of the extremely limited mooring area. (Only room for 6 boats and one of those 6 is reserved for Disney Travel guests and one, perhaps two boats held in reserve for YC/BC/BW concierge guests).

I think we’ve taken 5 criuses and smoke has never been an issue. I could see how it might be but it never has been an issue for us. We also try to watch Illuminations from the viewing area next to the cruises and smoke has never been an issue there either and we’re maybe 5 feet from the boats.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;967245]
As I’ve posted before, it’s a lot easier to get a boat for MK fireworks than it is for Illuminations because of the extremely limited mooring area. (Only room for 6 boats and one of those 6 is reserved for Disney Travel guests and one, perhaps two boats held in reserve for YC/BC/BW concierge guests).[/QUOTE]

Actually, the family we’re sharing with are BC concierge guests. That’s how we got it. And we lucked out by splitting the price tag too. :happy:

If they have beer then DH will be happy. I will not, however. :pinch: Still thinking of bringing the bottle of bubbly with me as part of the celebration.
Any glasses with that package, or was it strictly cans?

It’s all cans and plastic cups.

Capt. Nemo?

Please try to keep up.
Capt. Nemo was yesterday’s discussion.