Has anyone seen SPACE MOUNTAIN

in the light…just curious…would we laugh at how tame it is or is it worse. I know some coasters are worse bc you can see whats coming

My very first time on Space Mountain, a Tuesday morning in early November 96, the lights were on. This is the ONLY time I’ve ever ridden in the light.
I can’t really say if it was worse or better, that is more or less frightening. I do know that I’ll NEVER put my hands up during most of the ride. There’s a lot of low steel!

My DH and DD have ridden it with the lights on. My DH thought it was more scary as you could see what was coming. We also saw it lit up when we were on the People Mover once. I was surprised how small it appeared- I am sure it doesn’t feel small when you’re on it.

Here you go: Space Mountain (WDW) with the lights on POV! - YouTube

The lights were sorta on when we were there this past December. It was most annoying bc I like the darkness. There were just enough lights on to ruin the effect.

We got stuck on SpaceMountain for about 15 minutes once and they had to turn the lights on. It’s scarier with the lights on than with them off.

I’ve seen it several times with the lights on. It’s scarier with the lights on. You can see everything coming and all the metal bars seem really close to you.

In all of my years and all of my visits, Space Mountain has NEVER run right. It is down, or breaks down when you are on it, etc. So, two years ago when we were there, we rode Space Mountain without interruption - and, I can honestly say, I will never ride it again. It was jerky, uncomfortable, and being able to see the steel bars everywhere makes you want to tuck into the little spaceship to avoid bumping your arms or worse, your head.

Give me rockin’ rollercoaster any day.
:laugh:

[QUOTE=Magic;1128441]In all of my years and all of my visits, Space Mountain has NEVER run right. It is down, or breaks down when you are on it, etc. So, two years ago when we were there, we rode Space Mountain without interruption - and, I can honestly say, I will never ride it again. It was jerky, uncomfortable, and being able to see the steel bars everywhere makes you want to tuck into the little spaceship to avoid bumping your arms or worse, your head.

Give me rockin’ rollercoaster any day.
:laugh:[/QUOTE]

I agree. Last year after getting off the ride, my dh and I looked at each other and said "well, I guess we have to face the truth - we’re too old for Space Mountain. It was so rough and jerky both of us had headaches and felt like we had whiplash.

Same thing for me in October. TT, RnRC, BTM, EE, and even Dino and Tricerptop were all OK. But after our second ride on SM one day I thought I threw my back out. Went on again 2 days later feeling great and the experienced the same thing. I don’t know if it is the new rehab, or just an old coaster and car item, but I’ll have to consider if I ride SM this upcoming trip.

LOL. . . yup, another thing to add to the list of “to avoid at old age”. :laugh:

Space Mountain is classed as either a mini coaster or a family coaster.
Neither are known for being large.
There aren’t any big drops, just lots of smaller ones and lots of helixes.
I’ve seen it lit from the TTA Peoplemover many times, but always too briefly.

My biggest issue is that many times, soft sensitive body parts located where my legs meet get squashed:crying:
I’ll not be drawing a picture.

It isn’t anything they did during the refurb. The ride itself is completely unchanged, not even new track. The cars SHOULD have been totally torn apart and rebuilt. It has a lot to do with what seat you ride in. I can’t fit in the #1 and #4 seats because they don’t have enough legroom for me and the $6 seat will have a bit more “snap” being the tail of the short train which causes the above noted “squashing”.

It’s a little jerky, but in the light of day, it would be considered very tame, in my opinion… I will post this lights-on video link again, and you can see that it’s a mild coaster:

Space Mountain (WDW) with the lights on POV! - YouTube

It’s probably not a whole lot different than BTMRR actually, maybe a little tighter.

Hahaha! I have to smile when I watch it. I love this ride.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1128467]
It’s probably not a whole lot different than BTMRR actually, maybe a little tighter.[/QUOTE]

I understand it’s your opinion, but I have to disagree.
Big Thunder and Space Mountain are very different animals though I see why you’d feel as you do.
It’s the multiple helix elements on both coasters, and yes, Space’s are much tighter, if for no reason other than the Big Thunder trains being very much longer, heavier, and wider.

For me, Space Mountain reminds me of the boardwalk wild mouse coasters that used to be in a few places on the Jersey shore. Tight and dense layouts with quick drops and very tight turns.
Big Thunder, on the other hand, is the most evolved (themed) version of the runaway mine train coaster in the world. There are two coasters in WDW that are related. Of course Everest is considered an oversized mine train coaster (with two one of a kind on ride switches) and is Big Thunder’s big brother. The other coaster is The Barnstormer, a family coaster with a smooth, fun layout. Big Thunder and all mine trains, are oversized family coasters once you get under the hood.

Ack!!! Sorry.
We all know any discussion of coasters brings this out in me.

Do you have any extra scoop on the Seven Dwarfs Train??? It looks super tame and perfect for young kids!
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Roller Coaster Animation New Fantasyland Magic Kingdom Walt Disney World - YouTube
(at 1:34 you get a taste of the ride!)

I only know generalities of the Seven Dwarfs coaster.
It’s supposed to be completely enclosed (so I heard originally) and it’s a mine train coaster.
Just knowing it’s a mine train tells me it isn’t going to be a super screamer. It also tells me this will very much be a family ride in Walt’s tradition. You know, the line about being able to ride with your kids instead of sitting on a bench watching them.
Beyond that, I’m treating it like the rest of New Fantasyland. I’d rather know as little as possible so I can at least see it through fresh eyes the first time I see it. I’m old enough now that I’ve learned how to be able to wait for the surprise instead of searching for Christmas presents to find out what I’m getting.

FYI interesting roller coaster note. I took Sweet Emotion off my iPod because I can’t bear to listen to it if I am not on RnRC…

…funny story about BTMRR…my Dad had various health problems and eventually quit going to WDW before his death…but many years ago we were there and Dad kept talking about BTMRR…he really wanted to ride it…I was hesitant…

Finally, I thought…why not…if he wants to ride it why not…so my DM sat with DD while D and I got on the ride.

My Dad LOVED it…absolutely loved it…squeeled with glee like a kid…and his comment when we got off? hey…that helped my neck feel better…can we go again?

Ahhh memories of WDW visits past… :smile:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1128478]
My Dad LOVED it…absolutely loved it…squeeled with glee like a kid…and his comment when we got off? hey…that helped my neck feel better…can we go again?

Ahhh memories of WDW visits past… :smile:[/QUOTE]

Excellent! My husband would ride BTMRR with the kids and he’d squeal out this harrowing “little girl” scream, just to make the kids laugh. Once they were preteens and even teenagers, he still did it, just to bug them!