Has this always been? SW question

I was looking on the SW site trying to find out when they will post flights for the fall. I seem to recalled someplace it will say something like “fall flights will be opened on or about Feb 1” or whatever. I can’t find anything like that. Does anyone know if they still post that and where?

But anyway, while looking, I came across this concerning the early bird booking…

We’ll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight’s departure - that’s 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. [B]While EarlyBird Check-In doesn’t guarantee an A boarding position[/B], it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.

I thought it did and if not, why pay the extra 10 bucks for a B boarding pass? And to file this under something I’d never think of…when reading comments from customers. It was noted that SW is cracking down on people who buy one earlybird pass and then try to hold “good” seats for people who got the lower level boarding passes. Either I’m a honest person or dumb as a stone. That would have never entered my brain.

On Feb 8th they will post flights til Sept. 30th

It boggles the mind the things people will do. The older(:pinch:) I get the more astonished I am by people’s behaviour. You’re not dumb jo-jo. Just a nice, decent person.

Thank you. Still not hitting my dates yet, guess it will still be a few more months.

So Joanne, are you saying that one buys an early bird, gets on board and holds a seat until the fellow passenger whom they are flying with gets onboard? Nope I wouldn’t think of doing that either:blink:
But on second thoughts, when we went to Vegas we had to walk right down the aisle as there were so many single travellers with coats bags etc on seats? Maybe thats what they were doing-Hmmm???

On my last flight, I was one of those persons who was holding a seat, but not for that reason. Was going with DSIL who had a separate boarding pass. Mine was at the front of A, and her’s was at the beginning of B, so I held her seat.

It also astonishes me what people do. I guess honesty blocks our minds of all the sneaky things other do.

When DH and I travel, we sit aisle and center with hopes no one will come and then I move over to the window seat. I’m not even brave enough to sit aisle and window and only moving IF someone comes to sit in the center seat. I am bold enough to say to my DH “try to look fat” to discourage someone sitting with us. :laugh:

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1062979]I was looking on the SW site trying to find out when they will post flights for the fall. I seem to recalled someplace it will say something like “fall flights will be opened on or about Feb 1” or whatever. I can’t find anything like that. Does anyone know if they still post that and where?

But anyway, while looking, I came across this concerning the early bird booking…

We’ll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight’s departure - that’s 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In doesn’t guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.

I thought it did and if not, why pay the extra 10 bucks for a B boarding pass? And to file this under something I’d never think of…when reading comments from customers. It was noted that SW is cracking down on people who buy one earlybird pass and then try to hold “good” seats for people who got the lower level boarding passes. Either I’m a honest person or dumb as a stone. That would have never entered my brain.[/QUOTE]

I’m in the dumb as a stone column!
Last June, I paid for the early bird boarding for a 3 of us.
We did get A boarding, as a matter of fact we were 12,13,14 on the plane. I did it more for the guaranty we could sit together as a family. We had an early flight and I really didn’t want to wake up early the day before (to print out tickets), so it worked out perfectly.
I didn’t get it for March, the flights are much later in the day.

I was thinking of using the early bird thing for coming home. I don’t have a phone that you can do the online checkin so that means I have to either hang around a hotel/guest service spot or depend on a family member to sit by to check us in. Once I was depending on my DD to check us in and at that moment my DGD decided she HAD to go potty.

The first time I ever rode on a plane was in 2005 (I was 32:eek:) and the plane was completely full. I have honestly never been on a plane that wasn’t packed full (although I’ve only traveled by plane three times.) Didn’t even know there was a possibility of empty seats. Is this typical?

I’ve only flown 4 times and it was to Orlando from Providence RI --go figure :happy:!
There has never been an empty seat on any of the flights.
:eek:I was 29 on my first flight Jen :blush:

My friend and I always sit aisle and window and then move closer if someone asks if the seat is empty. Or if the crew announces the flight is full, then obviously we wouldn’t even try.

I can’t fathom paying extra to pick my seat! I’m flying Air Tran my next trip (which if I’m correct got bought out by SW) and I’ll check in 24 hours in advance but I’m not forking over another $40 each way. Once people see I have two kids with me they are more than happy to switch. If not have fun with my boys on that 2 hour flight:rolleyes:

I’ve only flown Southwest once and didn’t bother to pay extra for the early bird seats. I just checked in 24 hours in advance and was in the A category. We got seats together, no problem. But, it really wouldn’t have mattered what category I got because both flights were only half full. I was shocked they hadn’t cancelled them and tried to combine flights!