"Haters" at WDW

When we arrived at HS this past Saturday for some “Star Wars Weekend” fun, Mackenzie alerted me to something she saw in the sky… and I was shocked… :eek:

There was a plane flying around towing a banner alerting everyone with sight to the fact that it was “Gay Day” at WDW and to turn around and run.

This was disgusting! :mad: I couldn’t believe how simple it is to take the “hatred” of a minute group of people, and to simply dump it on the “Happiest Place on Earth”!

We figured it was one of those minority rogue Christian groups and sure enough, it was.

Apparently, this specific hate filled Christian group found it necessary to pay $6,500 to have planes fly around the skies surrounding WDW to alert every one of the fact that it was “Gay Day”.

This is IMO completely repulsive and they should all be ashamed of themselves…

I would love to believe that in the USA, we, a “melting pot” nation would move towards “tolerance” for all, but it seem like lately, we are all moving “backwards” instead of forewards. And It’s a shame. :blow:

Boycott of Disney’s ‘Gay Day’ - The West Australian

But in other news, Star Wars Weekends was very cool as is the new Star Tours ride. It’s definitely an upgrade from the previous offering…

That article is almost funny it it were not so unenlightened.

I am sorry to read this had happened. It would be nice to think in this day and age that we have moved on from the persecution of others just because their lifestyle and preferences are different to ours. How sad that the same people who preach love and forgiveness are the same people dishing out their vitriolic, and hateful messages.

Many times I have seen skywriting planes visible from WDW that have never written anything in the sky except “Jesus” messages.
What I enjoy most is watching them trying to get the message completed before the winds blow away the first letters.
I think if the West Australian wants to whine about gays in this world, they should be looking much closer to home, say Perth or Sydney, and not even concerning themselves with what happens in Orlando Florida on private property.

As for the “Florida Family Association” and their “issues”, well, they aren’t very Christian at all, are they. I wonder how closely related to the Quaran burning church they are.
Flippin’ religious nut jobs should worry more about their own lives and less about people who have nothing to do with them.

“The six-day Pride celebration draws about 160,000 people, who spend an estimated $US150 million, to the area to celebrate. Thousands of the event’s participants visited Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom on June 4.”

In other words, there is nobody in the Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce that will ever put a stop to this kind of cash intake and increased positive publicity.

Edit: I take back the comment about the West Australian needing to concern itself with events closer to home as they were only reporting an international story of interest.

I’m actually surprised that a plane was allowed to fly anywhere near WDW. I really thought that after 9/11 it was considered restricted air space.

-H

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1079220]I’m actually surprised that a plane was allowed to fly anywhere near WDW. I really thought that after 9/11 it was considered restricted air space.

-H[/QUOTE]

The no fly zone over WDW ended while Bush was still in office. I don’t recall the exact year, but I’m comfortable saying 2005.
I have seen plenty of helicopters directly overflying WDW. These skywriters generally are not right overhead and can easily be over state and local roads and fields outside the boundaries of WDW and still be fully visible. They are a good mile in the air.

I encourage groups to boycott Disney. Makes the park less crowded for ME and all the cool people who are out to have fun! :laugh:

My favorite quote…

behaviour the group’s leaders believe will turn children gay if they witness it

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Some people need to do their homework before accepting myths that have been proved inaccurate in numerous studies…

And I don’t think that after people shell out money to get into WDW that they’re going to turn right around and leave.

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1079220]I’m actually surprised that a plane was allowed to fly anywhere near WDW. I really thought that after 9/11 it was considered restricted air space.

-H[/QUOTE]

That’s what I thought as well.

On topic: those people are disgusting…seriously disgusting. Have they nothing better to do with their time and money than that? It’s 2011…not 1911…I would think as a society we don’t judge who people love and why anymore…it’s kinda sad actually.

There STILL is a “Temporary” Flight Restriction in place…for some reason. (It was actually updated in 2009. It only covers 3 miles from MK so not even all of WDW is covered. And it only goes up to 3000 ft. It’s really a joke that it’s still there. I mean, what could I not do from 3,100 feet that I can’t do from lower in a matter of seconds?

There are procedures so that planes can fly in and through it, and even if it was a total ban it would do absolutely NOTHING if someone really wanted to do something awful. It’s a sad fact of life. Banner towers and tour choppers have waivers. Sky writers are much higher.

I’ve actually been at SSW several times during “Gay Days.” Like all groups, MOST of them were fine. There were exceptions, and some shirts that really shouldn’t be allowed in the park. (Can we ban those YELLOW shirt tour groups? :laugh:)

It’s not a Disney sanctioned event, but other than enforcing their policy on offensive clothing, there isn’t much they can do. WDW is open to the public.

I wonder what Walt would think about such a thing.

Ok folks I am a Christian and I am embarrassed by these folks.

The NT verses they most often site to support the view of homosexuality as a sin also list a few others that I bet…well betting isn’t very Christian…ok…well they should make sure they aren’t in that list with those homosexual sinners:

and they should be reminded of this:

As a Christian I am reminded by Christ that my sin is far worse for me than someone else’s sin is for me. I need to concern myself with my eye full of planks.

One word: Idiots.

Enough said. Can’t stand these people that do this.

We used to always be in the world over Memorial weekend since the kids had just gotten out of school. We made it a point to go to the park that was to be ‘the park of the day’. We found that it was always the most relaxed since many folks would do whatever they could to avoid the perceived crowds. There loss.

Like the post above, I wouldn’t have avoided anything either. I raised my daughter to accept everyone as is and have no judgement of people’s personal lives. I practice what I preach. As a woman who has ALWAYS had gay/lesbian friends around me in some capacity, I am proud that one of my DD’s best friends Michael is gay. He sleeps over all the time…goes on day trips etc. Had I not raised my daughter the way I did, she would have treated him like an outcast (like some of the kids at school) and would have missed out on a great friend.:heart: I am taking him to WDW with a few other kids next June…love that boy.

“Your opinion of me is none of my business”

The Boss mantra:
Learn it;
Live it;
Love it.

[QUOTE=tigger;1079245]Ok folks I am a Christian and I am embarrassed by these folks.

The NT verses they most often site to support the view of homosexuality as a sin also list a few others that I bet…well betting isn’t very Christian…ok…well they should make sure they aren’t in that list with those homosexual sinners:

and they should be reminded of this:

As a Christian I am reminded by Christ that my sin is far worse for me than someone else’s sin is for me. I need to concern myself with my eye full of planks.[/QUOTE]
I agree. We are not to judge. So many of these groups do and I am appauled at them. I too am a christain but love and accept everyone. It is not my place to accuse,judge or not friend anyone based on their belief.

This is despicable. I will never understand how some people think.

Their ignorance is absolutely appalling. Their intolerance is anything but “Christian” and totally disgusting. “Turn children gay”…it makes the mind boggle.

These people give Christians a bad name. I guess they forgot Jesus saying, you without sin cast the first stone.

I too am a christian with gay/lesbian friends that have left the church due to judgement…thing is, they are some of the most compassionate and forgiving people I have ever met in my life.