Healthy at WDW?

i know, i know…it’s a vacation and i shouldnt have to worry about such matters…however, eating light is always a better option (that is not to say i wont of course find a way to get a turkey leg, lol) but at least most of the time i’d like to eat better so i don’t need a nap after every meal lol. does anyone know any good places to grab a bite that have healthier options?

i mean i don’t know if this is possible haha- but im sure there are people here that frequent the parks and might have a bit of advice…

Sunshine Seasons is pretty health as far as counter service goes.
The Wave’s menu (new at the Contemporary) looks pretty healthy. Spoodles is also good.
In fact most, if not all, of the sit downs have healthy options. I’m trying to think about other counter service places that are “healthy”, but I’m drawing blank.
I suggest you review menus at All Ears Net.com.

Restaurant Dining Menus from Walt Disney World

[QUOTE=Soundgod;887593]I’m trying to think about other counter service places that are “healthy”, but I’m drawing blank.
I suggest you review menus at All Ears Net.com.

Restaurant Dining Menus from Walt Disney World[/QUOTE]

I can’t top the allears recommendation. But I do recall having plenty of healthy options at counter services. I remember a good chicken wrap at Pecos Bill’s. And I’m pretty sure we were able to substitute healthy alternatives for fries.

There are healthy alternatives at most of the restaurants. Lots of really good chicken salads.

Boy…I won’t be any help! I thought the turkey leg was healthy!!!:laugh:

This information is from Disney Dining | Disney Dining Plan - Everything about Disney Dining including the Disney Dining Plan, recipes and news from Walt Disney World restaurants.
That Turkey Leg is probably one of the most unhealthy choices. I think I read something about it. Here is the information. It’s definitely not healthy.
Well, I was reading today and was surprised to hear that Disney sells about 1.5 MILLION turkey legs every year! Just to put that in perspective, that would be about 7 turkey legs for every man, woman and child that lives in Orlando, Florida! Each of these monstrous bird legs weighs in at 1.5 pounds and they supposedly come from 40-50 pound turkeys! So you’re probably thinking ‘hey, it’s Turkey so it has to be good for you.’ Well, if you think that 1,092 calories, about a days worth of fat and two days worth of sodium PER TURKEY LEG is good then you’ll need to go see a nutritionist for a refresher.

[QUOTE=Jennatrz;887689]This information is from Disney Dining | Disney Dining Plan - Everything about Disney Dining including the Disney Dining Plan, recipes and news from Walt Disney World restaurants.
That Turkey Leg is probably one of the most unhealthy choices. I think I read something about it. Here is the information. It’s definitely not healthy.
Well, I was reading today and was surprised to hear that Disney sells about 1.5 MILLION turkey legs every year! Just to put that in perspective, that would be about 7 turkey legs for every man, woman and child that lives in Orlando, Florida! Each of these monstrous bird legs weighs in at 1.5 pounds and they supposedly come from 40-50 pound turkeys! So you’re probably thinking ‘hey, it’s Turkey so it has to be good for you.’ Well, if you think that 1,092 calories, about a days worth of fat and two days worth of sodium PER TURKEY LEG is good then you’ll need to go see a nutritionist for a refresher.[/QUOTE]

Gulp!:eek: Guess no turkey will be going legless for me. :redface:

Well if you wanted you could just eat that one thing and be done for the day.:laugh::laugh:

You should find decent options at many places. My 5yo is the healthiest eater in the family (:blink:) and we can find something for him in most places.

And ask questions. We’ve found that most servers are reasonably accomodating.

Most of the menu’s, even counter service have really healthy options like salads and wraps etc so you’ll definatly be ok!

We love Columbia Harbour House for the tuna salad sandwich on whole grain bread. It’s delicious.

The Boulangerie Bakery (France) has a great cheese and fruit plate, served with a baquette.

The Sunshine Seasons Food Court at The Land Pavillion has great healthy options. The grilled salmon filet is as good as anything you’ll find at one of the better restaurants. It’s served with your choice of vegetables, and olive tapinade. It’s delicious. It also has a soup, salad and sandwich bar - as does Cosmic Ray’s at the MK. And almost all counterservice restaurants has wraps and will give you carrots instead of french fries.

Flying Fish is a 2 points restaurant, but it has wonderful fresh fish and seafood. Spoodle (both these restaurants are on the Boardwalk) has great Mediterranean-style food with lots of vegetables. And Wolfgang Puck Express at the Marketplace has great salads. And remember - the portions at WDW are HUGE - my dh and I often share and have plenty to eat. Boma, the buffet at AKL has wonderful selections.

We always try to eat at least reasonably healthy - we just feel better when we do.

I was also going to recommend, counter service wise, Columbia House in the MK. We always get the tuna on whole grain bread. Also, if the counter service across from PotC is open you can choose a “vegetarian” taco salad. The KEY is you control the toppings. The vegetarian salad comes with beans and you can just add leetuce, tomatoes, olives, etc. from the toppings bar. You don’t have to add the fatening cheese, sour cream, etc.

Also, like many others have said “Sunshine Seasons” in EPCOT has some great salads and rotisserie chicken, fish, etc.

Most of the table service restaurants have healthy options already on their menu; you’d obviously just want to avoid places like Chef Mickey’s, Hollywood & Vine, etc… that are buffets packed with fats, carbs, & sugar.

I am the healthy eater in my family and i have found great options at all the parks. I always look for things that are not breaded and not fried. I ask for the dressing on the side of all my salads. I ask that if the meat choice has sauce on it or cheese on it i ask them to omit that and they have no problem doing so… Animal kingdom has fruit and vegetable carts and i know that most of the counter services have a fruit option. I also bring protein bars with me to the parks everyday just in case i just dont find something i want i know that i have something in my belly. Also you can always ask to speak to the chef and tell them you want to eat as light and healthy as possible and they are always willing to work with your dietiary needs. I do this all the time and the chefs are great. Good luck.

I do better eating lighter, so I understand. I get sick from all that heavy food. There are plenty of healthy options and alternatives to the same ol fast food at WDW. You will have no issues finding healthy things to eat.

Unless you’re Dana and they serve you green beans…:laugh:

At table service restaurants, in many cases you can ask for the to be eliminated or served on the side. Many times my wife ask for the sauce on the side so she can control the amount she uses. It is not a diet thing but a salt thing.

Also don’t feel like you have to clean your plate. Now a days, many restaurants server very large portions, way too much me to finish without feeling stuffed, so when I am full I stop eating. Another thing you can do is split plates. You each get a half portion which can be enough for each of you.