Heavy sigh

I was just on the IMDB site and read where Disney has Pixar making sequels to Cars (I knew this), Monsters Inc and possibly others? We all know that no one goes back to the cow more than Disney. DreamWorks which likes to follow around on Disneys’ heels is doing the same thing with ‘Shrek 11’ and ‘The Land Before Time Today’. But Disney is a serial sequel-ist. Why can’t they leave well enough alone? Luckily Pixar is strong enough to make great sequels to Toy Story, but how long can it last? Just one bomb of a sequel will scare people away from their movies. Let them continue to make fresh movies. Fresh movies means new characters. And yes Disney. That mean$ fre$h merchandi$e dollar$.

Just my .02.

I agree! While some sequels do amazing (toy story), most are just ok at best. For instance, the lion king and little mermaid sequels…sure they are cute little movies, but they will never live up to their successors. I think this is mainly because they don’t spend much time on them. TS3 is amazing because they put a TONNNNN of work into it. But most of the time the sequels are produced rather quickly and go straight to DVD.

Disney doesn’t do sequels well…PIXAR does, so let’s hope for the best.:heart:

True. I just wish Disney would (I know they “owns” them now) would let Pixar run itself and make it’s own decisions. If they don’t want to do a sequel, then there will be no sequel. Disney has to quit milking the cash cow until the magic has gone sour.

sequels are done,because of profit alot of sequels cost less because of so many repeat technologies,as far as disney not doing sequels well,pirates did ok i think…and as far as new merchandise,toy story is playing to the old but also a new generation of kids and parents

most peopleseem to forget that PIXARS movies where always under disney one way of anotherand despite being good movies the marriage also consists of,even from the beginning the disney name and marketing machine …some disney movies if not having been distributed by disney in the final run would not have done so well under a different production company…they feed each other…the one thing disney does better than pixar …is music …the lion king and beauty and the beast come to mind

Oh I agree as to why the sequels are made. And some have been deserving and/or very well done. Very well done. I just dislike the laziness of it sometimes. The original Disney’s downfall was from lack of creativity. Can anyone say Herbie Goes Here, Herbie Does That.:laugh: And it appears that this Disney is an even bigger offender. It’s as if their film division’s mantra is “Keep throwing it against the wall. Something will stick.”:laugh:

the down side to being disney is just that a huge conglomerate,one year ,great in sports,number one in tv and almost 3 block buster movies how can you top that…hard to do …and you left quite a hill to climb every year…and they are run by humans…the ships were a gamble,the broadway plays were a gamble…sometimes the gamble paysoff ,sometimes not so much…but it is still disney,dear too our hearts and may it live forever

Agreed. :cool:

It’s not JUST Disney that does this . . . “everything old is new again!” in the eyes of the entertainment industry.

Karate Kid for example - the new version was so violent and lacked story. I’m going to rent the OLD one for my girls so they can see how it’s SHOULD be done! :laugh:

Some Disney sequels stink, and that’s why they go straight to DVD! (cash flow people) The time it takes to make an animated film is soooooo long, that if they didn’t throw out these teasers, we’d loose interest. It was 1999 when TS2 was released . . . 10+ years later TS3.

Princess and the frog was a twist on an original and Tangled is a twist on an original and ENCHANTED that was just awesome!! :wub:

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;1037649]It’s not JUST Disney that does this . . . “everything old is new again!” in the eyes of the entertainment industry.

Karate Kid for example - the new version was so violent and lacked story. I’m going to rent the OLD one for my girls so they can see how it’s SHOULD be done! :laugh:

Some Disney sequels stink, and that’s why they go straight to DVD! (cash flow people) The time it takes to make an animated film is soooooo long, that if they did throw out these teasers, we’d loose interest. It was 1999 when TS2 was released . . . 10+ years later TS3.

Princess and the frog was a twist on an original and Tangled is a twist on an original and ENCHANTED that was just awesome!! :wub:[/QUOTE]

I agree with you entirely. Most Disney sequels (bar TS) are very poor indeed. In fact they spoil the original by developing an original character far beyond its means. The very fact that it’s 15 years since the first TS, is testament to the quality of Pixar. It is perfectly acceptable for us to appreciate that the ‘Andy’ character has now grown up and gone to college and thus TS 3 emerges!:happy:

No doubt that everyone in Hollywood has become stale minded. It’s quite obvious. But when you have the creative talent that Dis does, use it. And Disneys (Sorry but it’s true) strong arm tactics with Pixar (see how Ratatouille was promoted) is wrong. Disney needed Pixar more than Pixar needed Disney.

I have loved Disney for a long time. I have correspondence from them discussing what I needed to become an animator. A dream I unfortunately never saw fulfilled:frown:.

I’d like to hear what you think after you rent the old one. I watched it recently and thought it was more violent than I remeber and had a hokey story. I have not see the new one to compare.

On sequels - I really liked the most recent Shrek movie. I hope the Cars and Monsters inc are as good as TS3?

[QUOTE=jk8;1037732]I’d like to hear what you think after you rent the old one. I watched it recently and thought it was more violent than I remeber and had a hokey story. I have not see the new one to compare.

On sequels - I really liked the most recent Shrek movie. I hope the Cars and Monsters inc are as good as TS3?[/QUOTE]

Really? I guess I remember it from a kids perspective. The moves on the new Karate Kid would have killed him, broken ribs at least! I guess this is hokey too, but now I’m 38 not 12 and all :wub: over Ralph Macchio :laugh:. My DD10 said she really liked it so that’s all that counts.

I’m looking forward to Monsters Inc II. I just loved the first one so much, and can’t wait to visit with those loveable characters again! I have my fingers crossed that it will be good! Cars sequel…not so much… I didn’t really LOVE the first one…but DS6 sure did!

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;1037649]

Princess and the frog was a twist on an original and Tangled is a twist on an original and ENCHANTED that was just awesome!! :wub:[/QUOTE]

:wub::wub::wub:
I agree, and love those 2 movies! Especially ENCHANTED - it was so original!! I look forward to Tangled…sounds interesting!