Help/ advice about Paradise Pier Hotel

We have been considering a stay at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel and park. can any of you give me any advice about the Disneyland hotels in California.
Also advice about the park - how many days will it take? We are planning on spending the day around the pool and visiting the park on a evening.

We are thinking about September / October next year - any thoughts about the weather or deals?

The weather should be warm, but nice. It may be cool in the morning and evening, but hanging around the pool is definitely doable.

The closer it gets to Halloween, the more crowded the parks become, because they also do Halloween events.

I can’t help you with Paradise Pier- I’ve only stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. :heart: Which I love. :wub:

The parks get more crowded in the evenings because there are a LOT of annual pass holders who just stop by after work. Still, I think it’s a good time of year.

So are you not planning to go during the day at all? Because if that’s the case, it will take a LOT of days!

With regular touring, take four days. Three days used to be enough, but with Carsland, you need another day.

I don’t know about deals, but I do know that they have VERY good deals for AP holders, so that’s something to consider.

The Paradise Pier used to be the Pan Pacific, nestled inbetween the two Travel Lodge Motels and Godfather’s Pizza. It’s not a bad hotel, but I have never actually stayed there.

I could never afford to stay at any of the Disney Hotels. But they are nice to look at, especially the Grand Californian. The GC is really convenient, as it has a direct access to California Adventure. You have to be staying there to get into the park, but you can leave the park and go directly to the hotel, even if you’re not a guest.

As Andrea said, REALLY? It’s two to three days to see everything, especially with the addition of Buena Vista and Carsland. If you’re going to go Night Commando, perhaps a week is more appropriate.

That is actually a good time to go, the weather is cooler, and the crowds are much less a problem. :pirate:

We have stayed at the Paradise Pier a couple of times. The pool is a standard retangular pool with a slide and hot tub. The rooms are large and if you get the CA view on a higher level you can see the entire park. We had AP’s during our visits and were able to get the rooms for under $100/night.

We have also stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and now own Grand Californian DVC. If you are looking to hang out at the pools Paradise Pier is by far the least attractive. Disneyland Hotel has the most spacious and fun pool for kids (we haven’t stayed there since the renovation but it looks exciting). The Grand Californian pool has a more adult spa feel to it, very nice but not as kid friendly as the Disneyland Hotel pool.

If I were to go to use the pool facilities I would select the Disneyland Hotel. I have seen quite a few times when the Disneyland Hotel is just slightly more expensive than the Paradise Pier and has much better facilities. The cheapest season is during the window you are looking to visit and you might be able to find a terrific deal.

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;1116592]I could never afford to stay at any of the Disney Hotels. But they are nice to look at, especially the Grand Californian. The GC is really convenient, as it has a direct access to California Adventure. You have to be staying there to get into the park, but you can leave the park and go directly to the hotel, even if you’re not a guest.[QUOTE]

When we have stayed at other Disney Hotels we have been allowed to use the Grand Californian entrance to California Adventure even when they were restricting it to Disney Hotel guests only. If you are staying at the Paradise Pier it is a much shorter walk to cut through the Grand Californian to get to the parks.

[QUOTE=jimbo;1116524]We have been considering a stay at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel and park. can any of you give me any advice about the Disneyland hotels in California.
Also advice about the park - how many days will it take? We are planning on spending the day around the pool and visiting the park on a evening.

We are thinking about September / October next year - any thoughts about the weather or deals?[/QUOTE]

This is our favorite time to visit. During the day the crowds are very light and easily managed. We rarely even need to utilize fasspass. The parks will start to crowd up in the evening. Local AP’s show up for the Halloween festivities, and with nearly 1 million local AP’s it only takes a small percentage of them to fill the park quickly. On some nights, Disneyland has the Halloween party which is a premium price over the normal park entrance. Space Mountain has a Halloween overlay. The Haunted Mansion is in the Jack Skellington phase and the Halloween fireworks are some of the best I have every seen from Disney. And it is usually the cheapest time for hotel rates. In my opinion, the best time to go during the year. If this will be one of the only times you ever go to Disneyland I would expect to stay for at least four days to see everything, but if you will be returning over and over two to three days will do the trick.

I would not plan on putting the park off till evening. The parks always seemed empty to us until around 4 or 5. By 7:00 I was ready to head to the room. They seem to explode with people. Just my observations.

Thanks guys for all the help and advice.

Dw and I are planning on this been part of a two stop vacation that’s the only reason I thought about just doing it on an evening.
We have done Disney world a number of times, in-fact we are just 55 days off our next visit for 14 night @ POFQ.
Next year we are planning on 5 days in Vegas and 8 days in California. it will be our first visit to that side of the USA.

6Baggs4Dis- I was looking at Disneyland Hotel pool on youtube but it always seems to be in the shade - can this be true? I Everyone seems to be voting for Disneyland hotel I will look in to this option and price difference.

for the 8 days in California we are hoping to fit in universal and sea world.

Thanks again and please keep your help and advice coming along with any tips you can offer.:wub:

[QUOTE=jimbo;1116765]Thanks guys for all the help and advice.

Dw and I are planning on this been part of a two stop vacation that’s the only reason I thought about just doing it on an evening.
We have done Disney world a number of times, in-fact we are just 55 days off our next visit for 14 night @ POFQ.
Next year we are planning on 5 days in Vegas and 8 days in California. it will be our first visit to that side of the USA.

6Baggs4Dis- I was looking at Disneyland Hotel pool on youtube but it always seems to be in the shade - can this be true? I Everyone seems to be voting for Disneyland hotel I will look in to this option and price difference.

for the 8 days in California we are hoping to fit in universal and sea world.

Thanks again and please keep your help and advice coming along with any tips you can offer.:wub:[/QUOTE]

Love Las Vegas Jimbo! Have been four times, it’s an amazing place, you’ll love it:heart:

Since this is your first trip one note, be prepared for long drives in CA. Seaworld may look like a quick trip but can be 3 to 4 hours. Not trying to discourage you but want to give you a heads up. It took us 2 hours just to get from Hollywood to Anaheim at one point. The legendary LA traffic is not a tall tale. As for Vegas I would recommend a flight to the Grand Canyon if you can fit it in. We love Vegas much more than just gambling.

looking at staying at Paris or Vdara in Vegas. we were planning on flying to Toronto and staying at Niagara but the flights home were difficult so we are now looking at California. :wub:

cannot Waite for this trip

[QUOTE=jimbo;1116774]looking at staying at Paris or Vdara in Vegas. we were planning on flying to Toronto and staying at Niagara but the flights home were difficult so we are now looking at California. :wub:

cannot Waite for this trip[/QUOTE]

Sounds really wonderful! We stayed at the Bellagio every trip- its so nice we didn’t want to risk anywhere else-but almost all the hotels are really amazing! I can’t wait to hear your plans Jimbo!

[QUOTE=jimbo;1116765]Thanks guys for all the help and advice.

[/QUOTE]

We have always been to the pool in the morning and early afternoon. I don’t remember ever being in the shade. The used to be tucked back into a little rock covered area in the shade but I don’t know what it is like with the new pool. You should be able to find a sunny spot within the pool grounds.

Thanks for the heads up about the travel to sea world…

We are planning on doing a grand canyon helicopter trip for a day. We are looking at Vegas for shows and rides rather than gambling. lets face it you can gamble almost anywhere.

DW loves to have time to relax by the pool and take in some rays :nuke:

Honestly, if you are only going for the evening it might be a bit challenging. I’m an AP holder, so when I get there in the evening, most of the FPs are gone. That whittles down the number of attractions I can do, because the lines can get long (even in September). I would recommend a full day at DCA since they have Carsland now, and loooong lines, and maybe a half day at DL. Or maybe you could get there early, head back mid-day for some pool time, and back to the parks in the evening… just my thoughts.

Also, do not miss the new Transformers ride at Universal! I am NOT a Universal fan, but this ride is awesome.

And try to avoid traveling between 8-10 am and 4-7 pm while in Los Angeles/ San Diego so you can avoid the rush hour traffic. Have a great time!

[QUOTE=jimbo;1116765]

6Baggs4Dis- I was looking at Disneyland Hotel pool on youtube but it always seems to be in the shade - can this be true? I Everyone seems to be voting for Disneyland hotel I will look in to this option and price difference.[/QUOTE]

Weird. It is definitely not in the shade.

Vegas and DL in one trip? :ohmy: Two of my favorite destinations, AND at my favorite time of year? :wub: I hereby cheerfully volunteer my services to provide the two of you with onsite coordination and guide services. :laugh:

Kidding aside, it’s a great time to be at DL. It’s true that daytime crowd levels are low and manageable; for attractions like Peter Pan that have no Fastpass and only have longer lines as the day wears on, those less-busy hours early in the day are a real boon. Depending on how you prefer to approach the parks, it’s even possible to cover the majority of the “peak” attractions in the hours between breakfast and lunch. Taking advantage of the morning is a good way to make sure that you see and do all the things you want most; when you encounter bigger crowds and longer waits in the evenings (and you will), it won’t mean missing out on your favorites, because you’ll already have gotten them under your belt. Weather is generally very comfortable during the day, with slightly lower temps in the evenings. If you pack with a mind to light layers, you’ll be ready for anything.

There’s a Target a few blocks away from the parks on Harbor Boulevard, and there’s a Vons grocery, a CVS and a Walgreens nearby, so you can easily pick up anything you may need (batteries, snacks or beverages for the room, toothpaste, whatever) without having to pay the inflated prices at the gift shops and the neighborhood 7-11.

On average, most San Diego destinations are a good 90-odd miles from Anaheim, so you’ll need to allow a good two hours to get there. I’ve had that drive take as little as 75 minutes (don’t try that at home, kids) and as much as three hours. Plan accordingly, and try to keep some flexibility in your schedule. Personally, I prefer the Zoo to Sea World, but that’s me.

You’re going to have a great trip. Color me jealous.

Wow thanks folks - Thanks to you guys I’m starting to re think many things. glad to hear the sun shinnes around the pool, please you have told me about the tavel time. I’m thinking as we are doing sea world orlando this year ill give that a miss next year but will need to squeez in uiversal.
now thinking about park am pool for the afternoon and more park and shopping on the evening when the sun has gone to bed. ( we dont get much hot sun in my part of the UK:rolleyes:)

We are pricing up disneyland hotel and Paradise Pier. :mickey:

[QUOTE=jimbo;1117008]Wow thanks folks - Thanks to you guys I’m starting to re think many things. glad to hear the sun shinnes around the pool, please you have told me about the tavel time. I’m thinking as we are doing sea world orlando this year ill give that a miss next year but will need to squeez in uiversal.
now thinking about park am pool for the afternoon and more park and shopping on the evening when the sun has gone to bed. ( we dont get much hot sun in my part of the UK:rolleyes:)

We are pricing up disneyland hotel and Paradise Pier. :mickey:[/QUOTE]

This is definitely a better Disneyland Plan! :happy:

And I want to repeat what Voldemort said because it is SO TRUE and important: With the slightest bit of hustle, you can have every single one of your priority attractions done by noon (perhaps slightly later if the park opens late).

And since you’re staying on property, definitely plan on taking advantage of their early entry.