Help and advice about off property hotels

Hi folks I really need your help and advice about off property hotels.

The thing is my friend is coming to Orlando next year as one of her son’s is getting married on 31 October (Spooky). She has never been to the USA, not keen on thrill rides (But her husband and son do) (Son is 21) they all want to do the parks but not sure where, when or how.

They are not sure about staying in Disney in-case it is all too Disney in your face stuff. (I have tried to say it is not that way in some hotels)

I thought a Lake Buena Vista hotel/resort might fit the bill. They want something nice. not bargain basement, they will be there for 14 days. I have not stayed off site since 1999 so not sure what is out there.

They need a room or suite for two adults and the 21 year old son.

Thanks for your help

Many many years ago we used to stay in the Lake Buena Vista area at what was then the Grosvenor Resort. It ticked all the boxes for us at the time, it has buses to the Disney parks, is a stones throw from DTD, and a short walk down to the Crossroads shopping area and restaurants. I think alot of the hotels down Lake Buena Vista Boulevard are pretty much OK and a fairly reasonable standard.

thanks Dixie
I remember reading a long tome ago that you stayed at Grosvenor Resort, does it have characters over there?

would it fit the bill for two adults and a 21 year old?

I was wondering about the new resort near CBR i think thats were it is.

IMO, Lake Buena Vista= you get what you pay for! The free breakfast is a free for all alright meaning hundreds of kids spilling everything crying, yelling, and wasting most of the food they place on their plate. Parents are not concerned. Rooms are OK but I’ve had better military housing. I can’t figure out why anyone would not stay in a WDW hotel if they are going to the #1 vacation spot in the world!

At the time (23 years ago) we could not afford to stay in a WDW hotel. And there were no ‘free breakfasts’ at the Grosvenor, the rooms were (at that time) as nice, if not better, than POR-they were most certainly cleaner!. However, it may be different now. We are a family of high standards and I would not have remained in a hotel that was the standard you describe.

[QUOTE=jimbo;1083641]thanks Dixie
I remember reading a long tome ago that you stayed at Grosvenor Resort, does it have characters over there?

would it fit the bill for two adults and a 21 year old?

I was wondering about the new resort near CBR i think thats were it is.[/QUOTE]

I dont think it has characters Jimbo, but it used to have a Disney store and was known as a ‘Disney preferred partner’ hotel. So, although you didn’t get the full benefits of a resort hotel, it had its own Disney parks bus that serviced some of the LBV hotels (free of charge)
Its over twenty years since we stayed there, so alot of my info may be way out of date- and I do believe it has changed its name now, but I’m sure there are other members who can help with advice about staying off site.

Whoa - a little harsh. Many people can’t afford to stay at WDW - and I’ve seen children acting like - well - children at the classiest of Disney resorts.

On topic - the resorts at DTD very often have some good deals. We stayed at the Royal Plaza once and it was a nice place. Try MouseSavers.com - we’ve stayed at various Marriott’s. The timeshares at Marriott World Center are really nice. I would suggest that they talk to a travel agent specializing in Disney and the Orlando area.

We actually are looking at a condo in the area which we might buy - it’s called Caribe Cove and although it’s maybe about 3 miles from Disney it’s really beautiful! Very quiet. Gorgeous pool and the suites rival any DVC property. Presently they are advertising a 2 bedroom suite at $72.00 a night - you can’t beat that for an A+ resort.

There are a plethora of options out there.

The Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate is my favorite offsite resort. It’s two exits away from the Mickey Power Tower exit, they have a pool and a lazy river, they have various recreational activities, the restaurants are excellent, and so is the service. The Omni is slightly off the beaten path (further away from WDW and I-Drive) and it’s definitely not for everyone… :happy:

Orlando Hotels | Orlando Golf Resorts | ChampionsGate - Omni Hotels

Additionally, there are plenty of websites such as this one to help you get started (which is probably more in line with what you’re looking for…

MouseSavers.com - Orlando & Disney World Hotel Discount

Good luck…

IF I were ever to stay offsite again I would go back to renting a house. Good deals and private pool. I prefer VRBO.com. Make sure that the listing accepts credit cards though. Cash, checks, and ESPECIALLY Western Unions are no-no’s with a vacation rental.

Great minds, I was going to suggest looking at Mousesavers.com as well. I have only stayed off site once at the Nickelodian Hotel and that would definately NOT be a good choice for your friends. :laugh:

[QUOTE=papa bear;1083673]There are a plethora of options out there.

The Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate is my favorite offsite resort. It’s two exits away from the Mickey Power Tower exit, they have a pool and a lazy river, they have various recreational activities, the restaurants are excellent, and so is the service. The Omni is slightly off the beaten path (further away from WDW and I-Drive) and it’s definitely not for everyone… :happy:

Orlando Hotels | Orlando Golf Resorts | ChampionsGate - Omni Hotels

Additionally, there are plenty of websites such as this one to help you get started (which is probably more in line with what you’re looking for…

MouseSavers.com - Orlando & Disney World Hotel Discount

Good luck…[/QUOTE]

thanks for that Papa bare The Omni resort looks fantastic I will be googling that and checking out tripadvisor for more info.
Please keep your opinions coming you guy’s but please dont fall out about it we all have different taste and oppinions. :wub::heart:

Well we own a timeshare at Westgate Town Center the condo units are nice and only about 5 to 10 minutes from AK. you can take a back way into Disney straight up the road from the timeshare. Good luck with it all.

I was going to suggest renting a house too. If you’re going to stay off property and get a car anyway, I think this is a wonderful option. You get your own washer/dryer, own pool, can save on meals at home if you so choose, and just plain get away from crowds at the end of the day. There are MANY luxurious homes close by for a fraction of what you’d pay for a hotel.

Thanks cubsblue and ddoll
the VRBO site looks very useful with some very nice homes.
Personally I could not imagine staying off site now and I have attempted to encourage my friend to stay at a nice resort in Disney :pirate::mickey: I’m still working on it but the jury is still out.

What about the Dolphin or Swan??? They share Disney Transportation with YC/BC and it is a quick walk to the BW nightly entertainment and restaurants. The Swan has a character meal but there are other restaurants too. It is in the world but not a WDW resort persay.

We’ve had good experiences at Residence Inn (by Marriott)…we’ve stayed at both the Lake Buena Vista location and the Sea World one. The Sea World location is about 8 miles outside of Disney and is newer / a little nicer than the LBV one. They are suites with full kitchens…definitely roomy enough for a longer trip like this, and usually only around $100 a night. Breakfast is included, and it’s good breakfast…at least as good as the Disney breakfast buffets in my opinion. We’ve actually come to prefer it over staying on property – since on property for us has always been values or moderates. It’s a good place to decompress after the pace of Disney.

I too would HIGHLY suggest renting a home or townhouse. If you’re staying off property then they are the ONLY way to go!! Especially for privacy of the adults as well as the adult child. Some even offer 2 master suites so even better!! Most include their own pool/hot-tub or jacuzzi so why have to deal with a bunch of people when you can relax in your own peace & quiet “home away from home”.

Since our daughter hit the later teens we’ve been renting home/condo/townhouse as it affords us a larger, more comfortable space at a cheaper rate. Plus you have your own washer/dryer so less packing. Most homes come with a game room in the garage which features pool table, air hockey or fooseball so there is built in entertainment, as well as Wi-Fi too.

Considering they’re staying 14 days, renting a car, and not wanting “disney in your face 24/7” then a vacation home rental is the only way to go!! Why stay cramped up in a 1 room or 2 room hotel suite when you can have an entire 1800 sq ft house to stay in?!?! Plus if they WANT to eat in, grab a few groceries, drinks or whatever they have a full size fridge, stove and dishwasher all at their convenience. Hotel suites don’t offer this kind of service (that I’m aware of anyway). Plus the cost of a home is usually MUCH less than that of a hotel per night anyway!!

Just my opinion!! :wink:

Is there a website you use to find rentals? We are in Florida and take a lot of weekend trips, so I doubt it would help much in our case - but the info would be helpful for those who take longer trips.

Vacation All-Stars for condos or Coranado Springs on site, moderate resort and lots of ammenities, and not too Disney!

Thanks guy’s thats loads of options, I have been looking at the one bedroom villas at Saratoga springs they look nice.
I have passed this info on to my friend - I’m still trying to get her to stay on site.

thanks again everyone.:heart::mickey: