Help! DVC questions - I want to buy

I just got back from a wonderful vacation at Disney’s AKL and we are totally convinced that we would like to buy a dvc but we have some questions that I am sure you all can help me with.

1. Are we better off buying all of our points in one spot (AK or Contemp.)?

2. If I buy 160 at AK and 50 at Contemp can I combine the two to go to Keywest (for example)?

3.Do you have issues getting other hotels then your home?

1. Am I better off extending myself (alittle) to buy as many points as I may need in the furture?

2. Is there any incentive for buying into the Comtemp as a DVC member? I can buy the AK then wait a month and buy the contemp for any deals.?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Hi there~
I send ya a PM

I would buy as many points as you think you’ll need at the resort you want to stay at. You can buy any resort through Disney, even the sold out ones. You can stay at any resort you want but it can be hard to get some resorts at certain times of the year. If you don’t mind where you stay and you are flexible with your dates you can usually get a reservation.

Check out the referral thread. You can use a member’s name and get an offer that maybe only given to people who call with a referral. A lot of people here are happy to share their information to help you with a referral.

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/dvc-corner/46338-need-referral-dvc-guide.html

I would be happy to help, just let me know if you would like a referral.

Hey - I just looked on the resale site - why not buy ressale at a cheaper rate per point? Vero Beach or Hilton Head is much more cost efficient. Why not do that???

If you are flexible with your dates and don’t really have a must stay resort then that might work for you. My DH and I are both in education and have very few weeks we can go (my DH teaches in the summer) so we wanted to own where we wanted to stay so we could book it at 11 months out. If you own at VB or HH you would have to wait until 7 months to book a WDW resort. Most of the year you should be fine but holidays are a very busy time for DVC resorts and some may be booked before your 7 month window opens.

I teach too so thinks for the tip - I forgot our vacation time is limited to the busiest times.

We have had very good luck getting BCV at less than 7 months out. We usually go with friends who own at SSR and we’ve never had trouble switching resorts at 7 months in the summer. We booked a short trip to BCV last July about 5 months out and got what we wanted. Summer isn’t the busiest time for DVC resorts but holidays can be tough.

We bought at BCV because that’s where we wanted to stay, I didn’t want to have to worry about trying to get our favorite resort at 7 months.

I thought about DVC for years before we finally bought in. I wish we could have done it sooner but we had other things we needed to do first. Once the time was finally right it was an easy decision. Let me know if you have any questions, I love helping people decide about DVC.

Don’t for get to look at the annual dues. The highest annual dues are VB and HH.
http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/dvc-corner/43247-dvc-annual-dues-chart-1991-present.html

[QUOTE=2nd Star;889849]Don’t for get to look at the annual dues. The highest annual dues are VB and HH.
http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/dvc-corner/43247-dvc-annual-dues-chart-1991-present.html[/QUOTE]

Good point and not something people always think about before they buy.

Teacher here too so I understand being there at specific times. Luckily I now get a fall break and yes we are going next Saturday!
As far as where to buy unless you have an absolute favorite resort then it really does not matter where you buy since your window is the same for every resort except your home one. We really have never had a problem. Our home resort is SSR so our annual dues are lowest. We have stayed at OKW, WL, AKL, and SSR. If you think about it everyone is going to try for the Contemp. now that it is open and might be easier to get a different resort.
If I were you I would buy the number of points needed to stay a week plus at your favorite resort during your normal time of the year. After you have paid this off, start saving and then buy add on points. That is what we plan on doing. Someday.
Oh and we have 220 points that seem to be a really good number for us.

[QUOTE=tiptonsara;889884]
Oh and we have 220 points that seem to be a really good number for us.[/QUOTE]

We have 200 points and that seems like a good number for us. We get about 10 nights in a studio per year or a week every other year in a 2 bedroom when we alternate with friends.

Thanks for all the info. We were thinking about getting the initial 160 at AKV and additional 50 at Bay Lake.

A couple of additional questions:
Is there any incentive for using DVC financing?

Also, how do the points equate when staying off disney property? Lets say we want to use the Marriot in Aurba. anyone have any idea or a site I can look it up on? Also, is it worth doing this?

[QUOTE=Pixie Mom;889951]Thanks for all the info. We were thinking about getting the initial 160 at AKV and additional 50 at Bay Lake.

A couple of additional questions:
Is there any incentive for using DVC financing?

Also, how do the points equate when staying off disney property? Lets say we want to use the Marriot in Aurba. anyone have any idea or a site I can look it up on? Also, is it worth doing this?[/QUOTE]

Nothing special for using Disney financing that I know of. Do you have the blue/purple ‘Dreams’ book from DVC? I believe there’s information in that about using your points outside DVC resorts. I’ve never done it but I’m sure you can get some help from another member if it’s important to know before you join. Have you called DVC yet for information?

I will call tomorrow but I always like to get information from non-sales people first. It is always benificial to get information from those who actually use it.

You’re right, it’s always good to get information from the people who have been there and done it. Have fun learning about DVC, there’s so much to know. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

[QUOTE=Pixie Mom;889951]
Also, how do the points equate when staying off disney property? Lets say we want to use the Marriot in Aurba. anyone have any idea or a site I can look it up on? Also, is it worth doing this?[/QUOTE]

When using the World Passport Collection (specifically, trading via Interval International), the point cost for a 7-night stay is:

SEASON     1-BR       2-BR
Low         124        207
Mid         144        252       
High        160        270