HELP! How far is Vegas? HONESTLY!

Okay all you Disneyland gurus…especially from the surronding areas. We are planning another trip to Disneyland at the end of September, but since we are flying from Hawaii and it is very expensive, I was wondering to save $$$ on airfare if it would be worth it to drive to Vegas and back instead of taking a commuter flight. I’ve heard anywhere from 3 to 6 hours! We would save the price of the hotels rooms and the rental van if we did Honolulu to LA and the drove to Vegas and back and flew back to Honolulu from LA VS. Honolulu to Vegas (one way priced ticket) then Vegas to LA (one way priced ticket) and the from LA to Honolulu (one way priced ticket) or does anyone have any ideas? I appreciate all the help I can get!

ooo…does anyone have a suggestion for a good inexpensive hotel for our large group in the Disneyand area???

I am going to Vegas in March for an NASCAR race and I sort of have an itch to “swing” by Disneyland on one leg of the journey… So I am interested in hearing what some of the locals know about this too! :wink:

I will most likely be driving down from my place waaaaaaay up here… :tongue:

Is that DL to Vegas trip very lengthy? How long does it take? Is it safe? Etc? :biggrin:

THANKS!

Las Vegas to Disneyland is about 250 miles. It’s all on Interstate 15, with most of the trip being on two lane (in each direction) roads. You do have to cross a major mountain range in the process, but the road is well engineered and there are no sharp corners or really steep grades.

With good weather and traffic conditions, it takes about 4 hours if you drive the speed limit or thereabouts.

That being said, however, if you drive from Disneyland to Las Vegas on Friday, especially in the evening, or from Las Vegas to Disneyland on Sunday, especially in the eveing, count on that time at least doubling and spending all 250 miles in bumper-to-bumper traffic. There is a major migration of people from Southern California to Las Vegas every Friday for the weekend, and a return on Sunday so everyone can be back for work.

I’ve done the drive many times, and it’s not too bad at all unless you choose one of those busy periods. It’s mostly through desert, and there’s NOTHING to see, however, so don’t look for a scenic drive.

it’s 5 or 6 hours driving I think…maybe the train would be nicer than driving, but it’s totally close enough to “swing” by :mickey:

as for a hotel, Candy Cane Inn is - by FAR - the BEST off-site Hotel around! You should go to their website or call them to see if they have group bookings…

EXCELLENT TIPS! :biggrin:

I may need to see if I can talk my pops into going! :wink: I think it would be fun and he has never been there before! :blush: I have a Premium AP, so I have no excuse!

Yeah, I agree with Turnwrench–it’s about a 4 hour drive. I have also drove it many times en route to San Diego. The drive is definitely not scenic, but it seems to always go by pretty fast for me.

Ah, Goof Father…my dad is a huge NASCAR fan and wants to go to the Vegas race so bad since he’s only 8 hours from Vegas. I hope to take him someday within the next few years. I will be expecting a NASCAR trip report when you get back, because I love it as well. :happy: And yes, you have no excuse being an AP holder to not stop by Disneyland for a quick visit.

I Just Booked A Trip From San Diego To Vegas For One-way $54 On Southwest. I Didn’t Think That Was Bad.

Thank you Turnwrench and Gingita! I was getting some conflicting stories, so I thought I’d ask the ‘experts’ because we live here in Hawaii…AAA agent told me 6 1/2 hours and a friend told me 3-4 hours, it took him 4 hours because he took the wrong exit…
Thanks Tessa for the CCI info, I would love to stay there…but the rest of my family was looking for more ‘suite’ types of rooms…aka the type of room thats cheap and got a lot of space (so we can SQUEEZE everyone in…like a room that should hold 10 and but for us it’ll hold 15!) We were looking at Derest Inn…any info?

again guys Thanks for all the info and help!
Kristina