Help me weigh the pros/cons

That “surprise” WDW trip I was going to plan for my sister’s HS graduation next year? Yeah…she recently told me she wants to go to Cedar Point.

Oh. :huh: Okay.

Don’t get me wrong, I love roller coasters and all…but…you know…I’m Disney deprived. :rolleyes:

Which means I’m back to planning a trip for me, DH and the girls instead!

Problem being, I can’t seem to decide if we should go to DL or WDW. It will be the girls’ first trip and there are pros and cons to both WDW and DL.

[B]The pros for DL:[/B]

~Free admission (CM friends :happy:)
~We can drive, which will save airfare $$
~Smaller size might be less overwhelming for the girls’ first trip
~More economical all around; we could go sooner

[B]The cons for DL:[/B]

~Free admission means waiting on my CM friends to sign us into the parks. (The last time we did this - before we had kids - we ended up waiting [I]a lot[/I]. My friends are not the most reliable.)
~I’d be obligated to pay visits to friends both at DL and in the immediate area. Which means less time at the parks, and more dragging the kids around.
~No dining plan. I consider that a con because having meals planned out/paid for would be a huge blessing - DH and the girls (okay, all of us) need to eat at regular intervals to avoid crankiness. :laugh:
~Would have to be an off-site hotel…the DL hotels are just not financially viable for us.

[B]The pros for WDW:[/B]

~Dining plan
~No friends to visit; it would be a more relaxing vacation
~We could afford to stay on-site

[B]The cons for WDW:[/B]

~More expensive. Period.
~The sheer size of WDW might be overwhelming for our first trip with 2 little ones
~We would have to save longer

As always, my post is ridiculously long. Sorry! If you read it, thank you. :laugh: If not, I don’t blame you. I’m just trying to think aloud. I’d appreciate any feedback/thoughts.

I would say DL because it’s closer and faster!!

When my 2 were little we lived in So Cal…and went to DL monthly. Perfect size, easy to navigate, and the off-site hotels were close and cheap. I waited until they were much older (and after we had moved to Atlanta) to take them to WDW. How old are your girls?
My two cents (which isn’t worth a lot): DL…put up with the unreliable friends, and enjoy!

Hmm, that is a tough conundrum. My heart is telling me that maybe you should save the extra bit of money to return to WDW. My line of thinking is that if DL is more accessible & economical than it’s something you guys could do more ‘on the fly’ for a future date. There’s just SO much construction going on in DCA, etc. Do you really wants the girls first experience to be that? I think it would be worth the wait to discover SUCH a new Disneyland resort experience all together as a family, closer to when things are done.

Also, the girls may be more adaptable to “wait around” for admission from your CM friends in a couple years. Right now they may not get why they have to interupt their agenda to wait for your friends, meet with your friends, & other obligations.

I know the huge WDW property could be overwhelming for your girls on their first trip BUT you guys are pros & know how to pace yourself. Think of how AMAZING taking them to AK will be for the first time, etc. There’s less to worry about with social obligations & it would be a totally immersive experience for them.

Ya know?

[QUOTE=diofthesouth;977314]When my 2 were little we lived in So Cal…and went to DL monthly. Perfect size, easy to navigate, and the off-site hotels were close and cheap. I waited until they were much older (and after we had moved to Atlanta) to take them to WDW. How old are your girls?
My two cents (which isn’t worth a lot): DL…put up with the unreliable friends, and enjoy![/QUOTE]

Thanks I appreciate the help!!

Our girls are currently tiny…2-1/2 and 6 months. If we go to DL I am hoping it will be in January, which would make them 3 and 1. So it’s going to be a slow-moving trip with lots of nap/pool breaks. :laugh:

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;977316]Hmm, that is a tough conundrum. My heart is telling me that maybe you should save the extra bit of money to return to WDW. My line of thinking is that if DL is more accessible & economical than it’s something you guys could do more ‘on the fly’ for a future date. There’s just SO much construction going on in DCA, etc. Do you really wants the girls first experience to be that? I think it would be worth the wait to discover SUCH a new Disneyland resort experience all together as a family, closer to when things are done.

Also, the girls may be more adaptable to “wait around” for admission from your CM friends in a couple years. Right now they may not get why they have to interupt their agenda to wait for your friends, meet with your friends, & other obligations.

I know the huge WDW property could be overwhelming for your girls on their first trip BUT you guys are pros & know how to pace yourself. Think of how AMAZING taking them to AK will be for the first time, etc. There’s less to worry about with social obligations & it would be a totally immersive experience for them.

Ya know?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Wishy!! I think you have hit the nail on the head…this is why I started considering WDW. DL seems so much more doable, but I’m concerned that it would be a less-than-magical experience with construction, having to wait on my friends, etc.

It’s such a tough decision. :dry:

I guess since my kids and I both grew up with DL in our backyard, I’m a little prejudiced…but then, both options would be wonderful! You can’t really lose! Keep us posted on your choice!

I know right? It means faster gratification…which is part of what’s making the decision so hard!! Haha.

Hmmmm…Cali or Florida … Hmmmmmm I thinking South!!! Open up their minds to the World! … Walt Disney World that is :whistling

It sounds like her sister is still heading to Ohio! I think this is a new trip consideration for either DL or WDW; for just dizzy, her hubby & the kidlets.

Hands down I would say WDW, you may have to save a little while longer but I think it would be well worth it.:happy: Don’t get me wrong Dl is great but I agree with WishUponAStar, she made a lot of good points:happy:

Sorry Jess , I corrected it just after I submitted it … I had cedar point on the mind …:wacko:

Get your mind outta’ the gutter & back to WDW! :laugh:

Good one … Classic:laugh:

My vote goes to WDW. Do the values, go off site, wait for a great promo, etc. I just think you all would enjoy it more. I think DL would be better suited for when your girls are older.(I only say this because the visiting and waiting around can be draining on adults, let alone children!)

Wait for WDW- with free dining. With our 2 kids, and 2 adults- dining would be $800… Now yours would not be that much, but if it is free, it is free… Then you are looking at a value resort, plus room tickets. You can save money by not getting park hoppers, and staying on property means no car rental- use ME, get to the hotel, and use Disney transportation the whole time… Then you just have to get there (flights)- I am no help with that because I drive every time… Then you have 4 parks, and all the time in the world to go back and forth. Mine were so excited that we did not go back and forth, but maybe once… It is SOOOOO Magical, and they love the animals at Ak, shows at HS, and of course Epcot (characters), and the MK- of course is pure fantasy for little ones… Don’t forget DTD, and water parks- which we did not even try to tackle with little ones… GO TO WDW!

Thanks everyone!! I am definitely leaning toward WDW. I feel like DL just wouldn’t be as much of a relaxing vacation for us. (The last time when we waited for my friend to sign us into the parks, it was excruciating…I can’t imagine how awful it would be if I had two toddlers in tow! :pinch:)

Now, of course, there is always the chance that DH will have a different opinion and will convince me to do DL. I guess as long as I get to go to Disney, that’s all that matters!! But I do think WDW would be more enjoyable.

Random question…what age do you have to start paying for kids on the DDP?

Here’s my two cents. Your girls are little and will not remember much about WDW (visiting that young). If a WDW visit is doable every couple of years then I would say go for it. If it’s a trip you can only make every 5 or more years I would say wait. Wait till both can really experiance it. They will love going to DL. The characters will still be there and all the magic of Disney. If the trip is secretlly about mom and dad and the complications in Cali that is different its your vacation do what works for you, your girls will love eather.Have fun eather way!!!

Well if the pricing I’m doing now is any indication, airfare could prevent us from going to WDW. :eek: These are definitely the worst prices I have ever seen…oh my. And now that we’d have to pay for 3 of us, yikes! $1,200? That’s the price of the whole WDW package with dining! :whistling

I’d go to DL and save the “big” trip to WDW for later. You can save up and do it the you want and have it to look forward to.