Help with cutting $300 from our trip

I need any ideas you can offer me that maybe I’m not seeing to cut $300 off our current reservation.

Here’s the background: My Dad, step mom, and sis are arriving for their vacation the day we leave and they’ve asked if DD and I could just stay and continue to vacation with them (they said WDW isn’t the same unless we’re all there together)! Because they can add us to their reservation, the only increase in cost would be for my Park Hopper since they’re getting the Free DDP promotion; about $300 is all that stands between me and another 7 days in The World! DH didn’t seem thrilled but said if I could shave the $300 off our vacation that I could stay.

My dilema: I don’t want to cut anything off of our vacation that would decrease his vacation fun since he’s not staying for the extended time. I want him to get his full vacation and not have to sacrifice anything so I can be selfish and stay longer. :wub: I’m totally open to taking a day or 2 off or changing resorts but is that fair to him??

Our current reservation:
8 nights/9 days @ Wilderness Lodge with free DDP and 9 day Park Hopper
$2767

Options I’ve considered/priced:
Decreasing our stay by 1 day (yucky because it would be a sacrifice for DH, not fair). Savings would be about $250; might be close enough to $300 that he’d call it good.

Staying at AKL with the same details and using the room rate discount that is available instead of free DDP. This would only save us $176 over the free DDP but it’s something. I like this option if I can find another $125 savings here since it wouldn’t be big changes to DH’s vacation.

Staying at CBR or Coronado Springs with free DDP. This would save us about $600! The problem with this option is we stayed at CBR last time and while we love it, we wanted to do something different and fancier. DH seemed pretty excited about it too. Coronado Springs doesn’t excite me at all but I’m open if DH doesn’t have a preference in where we stay.

I thought about getting rid of the Park Hopper option too but then we’re limited on where we can dine of course. Right now, a lot of our ADR’s are based on Hopping and many a times we’ve had to take advantage of hopping due to crowds or whatever.

Anything I’ve missed or overlooked? I feel like I’ve been pretty thorough but if anyone can help me cut costs, it’s you all! I’m listening! TIA! Of course, I still need to ask DH what he would prefer I cut or change and that may be my answer right there. But, what I’m anticipating he’ll say is, “I don’t care, you’re the planner.”

When are you coming in to town? Is it possible that you could stay the first night at some off site hotel, then make it to check in at WL the next day, and save some money? I think this only works if you are driving in, maybe not with flying… If not, change to AKL- heard it is beautiful…

Have a garage sale, sell stuff on ebay and craigslist . . . don’t change your trip for $300 . . . it sounds AWESOME!!

(I wasn’t much help was I?):blush:

PS. Do you have the trip insurance? They charge a lot for that and just tack it on . . . you have to ask to remove it. (About $68/pp) I never get it, since the cancellation fee is $100 and you can move the trip with NO FEE! Just double check BEFORE you take it off.

I think AKL is way cooler then WL . . . but that’s just me!

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;974193]Have a garage sale, sell stuff on ebay and craigslist . . . don’t change your trip for $300 . . . it sounds AWESOME!!

[/QUOTE]
This is a great idea!

Staying at AKL is as well.

Thanks! I agree changing the trip for $300 isn’t a great idea but it wasn’t my idea! :wink: We could definitely do a garage sale! We have a huge designated area in our basement full of stuff we need to sell. I’ll see if that would suffice. :mickey:

We don’t have trip insurance. I did know to decline that when I originally booked our trip.

I’m glad to hear a couple positives about AKL! The only reason we didn’t pick it to begin with was it’s distance from everything else. We don’t go to the Animal Kingdom (we don’t like it…please don’t bite…) and it’s a bus ride to all other parks just like a mod but you’re still paying deluxe prices. Granted, the theming is rediculously awesome. Thoughts on ease of transportation?

This is a tough one! We do stay off site the first night, but we are usually on later flights that get us in after 7, so not a big deal. We have a quick bkfst and then start out day at WDW. The idea about the trip insurance is one worth looking into as well. I believe as long as you cancel w/in 48 hours, you get your $$ back. (Don’t quote me on that one though). That would really be an awesome trip for you and DD!! Keep working on that!

We’re flying and arrive at 1pm, taking ME to our resort. Staying elsewhere would be a good option if we didn’t plan to visit a park that day or had our own car so we didn’t have to pay a service to drive us to another hotel. On the up side, our flights are free with DH’s frequent flyer miles! That alone is saving us lots! :happy: Thanks for the idea though!

[QUOTE=jk8;974197]This is a great idea!

Staying at AKL is as well.[/QUOTE]

I was about to suggest AKL. Standard view rooms at AKL are pretty moderately priced (Savanna view costs extra, of course). It’s very similar to the Wilderness Lodge.

[QUOTE=TaraRae82;974203]Thanks! I agree changing the trip for $300 isn’t a great idea but it wasn’t my idea! :wink: We could definitely do a garage sale! We have a huge designated area in our basement full of stuff we need to sell. I’ll see if that would suffice. :mickey:

We don’t have trip insurance. I did know to decline that when I originally booked our trip.

I’m glad to hear a couple positives about AKL! The only reason we didn’t pick it to begin with was it’s distance from everything else. We don’t go to the Animal Kingdom (we don’t like it…please don’t bite…) and it’s a bus ride to all other parks just like a mod but you’re still paying deluxe prices. Granted, the theming is rediculously awesome. Thoughts on ease of transportation?[/QUOTE]

I definitely don’t think it’s a mod with Deluxe prices…the resort is UNBELIEVABLE!!! Their theming is second to none, their dining authentic and their activities and pool areas are amazing. We stayed there in November on rented points (before we bought DVC!) and I was worried about the bus service. But we didn’t use our car AT ALL!!! The bus service was GREAT!!! I can’t see NOT staying there just because it’s kinda far from everything. Honestly, every resort is further away from “something” and just a bus ride away. GO FOR IT!!!

[QUOTE=TaraRae82;974203]Thanks! I agree changing the trip for $300 isn’t a great idea but it wasn’t my idea! :wink: We could definitely do a garage sale! We have a huge designated area in our basement full of stuff we need to sell. I’ll see if that would suffice. :mickey:

I’m glad to hear a couple positives about AKL! The only reason we didn’t pick it to begin with was it’s distance from everything else. We don’t go to the Animal Kingdom (we don’t like it…please don’t bite…) and it’s a bus ride to all other parks just like a mod but you’re still paying deluxe prices. Granted, the theming is rediculously awesome. Thoughts on ease of transportation?[/QUOTE]

Oh, yes. Transportation is the main reason we don’t do AKL, as well (though after reading Wishy’s TR, I’m definitely tossing Kidani Village into the bag).

The water launch at WLR is quite convenient to MK, especially if that’s the park you do most (it is for us).

I agree that $300 isn’t worth messing with perfection! :laugh: You could always vow to cut out souvenirs.

Thanks! That’s what I needed to hear! I agree it’s not a mod with deluxe prices…not exactly what I meant…just that the only transportation there is bus vs. buses, boats, monorail at other deluxe resorts. :blush:

I’m definitely sold on AKL. Now to find another $125 in savings somehow. Maybe that garage sale will take care of it, or maybe craigslist…

Oooo, littlemissmagic…limiting souvenirs…that’s an idea! We easily spent that much last time.

Well, if you don’t mind cutting out free DDP, you could rent DVC points to stay at VWL. It will cut quite a bit of $$ out of your reservation. You could still get DDP, too. I believe they’ve upped the price form $38/night to $41/night. So, in the end, what you have may be the better value.

However, I’m not always convinced that DDP saves money. If you’re using it on a buffet, it is sort of a waste because your dessert is included in the buffet, anyway. I typically wouldn’t order a dessert at a table service restaurant, anyway (I also often opt for the least expensive item on the menu - ordering appetizers is the way to go. You get a large amount of food for less than the cost of an entree), so it doesn’t really save me any money. Plus, when I eat QS, I usually order off the children’s menu (it’s the best value!).

I don’t know. What you have sounds great.

AKL is amazing! It’s my favorite resort on property. We stayed there for our honeymoon and it was so wonderful!
It’s very similar to WL so I think you’ll be happy there.

Do you have an OOP meal you could cut out? The Plaza Restaurant is a cheap sit down restaurant that you could add if you want something other than counter service that day.

I agree with everyone else, stay at AKL to save a bit of money. Also, is a different view at WL a possibility? I know it’s nice to have the boat transportation, be so close to the MK, etc. so is there like a “standard” or “garden” view at WL that could decrease the resort price?

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;974218]Well, if you don’t mind cutting out free DDP, you could rent DVC points to stay at VWL. It will cut quite a bit of $$ out of your reservation. You could still get DDP, too. I believe they’ve upped the price form $38/night to $41/night. So, in the end, what you have may be the better value.

However, I’m not always convinced that DDP saves money. If you’re using it on a buffet, it is sort of a waste because your dessert is included in the buffet, anyway. I typically wouldn’t order a dessert at a table service restaurant, anyway (I also often opt for the least expensive item on the menu - ordering appetizers is the way to go. You get a large amount of food for less than the cost of an entree), so it doesn’t really save me any money. Plus, when I eat QS, I usually order off the children’s menu (it’s the best value!).

I don’t know. What you have sounds great.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t think you could add DDP to a rented points ressie. :confused: Anyone know for sure? I’m absolutely open to renting points if we can still do the DDP. For us, DDP definitely saves money. We eat a lot and not cheap things like pasta. :laugh: Food is definitely something we splurge on, even in our everyday lives. I get dessert no matter where we go and often times I choose restaurants (locally) based on their dessert menu. :blush:

You can…you just can’t get the free DDP promotion. We rented points and added the DDP no problem.

I think I would perhaps do away with the hopper option unless you absolutly sure you would make use of it…Garage sale is a great thing we just had one but had to use the profits for other bills ($1300.00) in three days. If you are only $125away I think a garage sale and perhaps save all your loose change if you don’t do it now and that could easily make the gap up for you. Good Luck.

You absoutely CAN book the DDP when renting DVC points you just can’t get FREE dining during that promotion.