Help with park tickets

Ok planning a two week trip for Disney, one week off site the second week onsite. either Pop or WL depending on discounts the first week of Jan.
the Question is if I buy 10day hopper tickets for the first week offsite and use three days of them can we transfer the other seven days to our resort key card upon check in at the resort for the second week. As it is my plan to do nothing but disney for the second whole week. my oldest DS that will be 22 is not that excited about that much time at Disney but hey I told him we will have our van and you are old enough to go on your own with your girlfriend if you want. but the DW the girls and I are doing disney. as this will be last trip most likely until 2013 for us there the DW wants to do other places for a couple of years. but who knows a good discount might change it for us again. HAHA.
but can anyone help me out with info for the tickets?

My recommendation is that you get annual passes if you are going to be in the parks for ten or more days. You cannot transfer park hoppers to your room key as you would have to have a separate ticket for when you are off-site and once that ticket is activated, you have so many days to use it unless you choose the no expire option. Likewise, the tickets that are attached to your room key are activated when you check-in and expire at check out. That is why I would recommend annual passes, plus you get many other perks with those as well. You get discounts in the stores and dining, free parking at all the parks anytime, and room discounts (so maybe you could go again before the year is up since you won’t have to purchase the tickets, cause you already did). We got annual passes in Feb. 2010 when we went and my daughter used hers when she went with her grandma (who also has an annual pass) in May and she is going with me again in JUly and we are staying off-site. She has used 14 days on her pass and I have used seven, and we are about to get another 5 days on there, and then we will get another 5 in Dec. I happen to think that’s a bargain when a regular ticket would cost $60 per day. I have definitely gotten my money’s worth.

OK if I buy Annual passes is it from the date of purchase or the date that I activate them when we use them the first time that my year starts?

The year starts when you use them the first time.

The two sentences I quoted above are incorrect.

An Annual Pass costs $489. A 10-day base ticket costs $243. A 10-day park hopper costs $295. Therefore, a 10-day ticket is MUCH less expensive than an AP. In fact, you could buy 2 10-day base tickets for less than the cost of an AP. If you like park hopping, a 10-day park hopper ($295) and an additional 1-day park hopper ($131), a total of 11 days, costs $426, still less than the AP. If you will be park hopping for 12 or more days, THEN the AP will be the better deal financially. Telling someone that if they need 10 park hopping days that they should buy an AP wastes almost $200 of their money.

Secondly, it is completely incorrect that your park tickets attached to your room key are “activated” at check-in and “expire” at check-out. Simply untrue.

Park tickets bought elsewhere definitely CAN be put onto your Key To The World card. It’s very easy, they do it many times every day. It’s also important to realize that receiving your tickets on your KTTW card (like when you buy a Disney resort package) or having your elsewhere-bought tickets added to your KTTW card does NOT “activate” the tickets. This is a very important point, because tickets expire 14 days from the first use of the ticket, NOT 14 days from the time you receive them and NOT 14 days from your check-in day.

And speaking of that, there is no such thing as tickets that expire when you check-out of your Disney resort. The last time Disney had that in place, it was 2004. There is no such thing anymore as “length of stay” tickets. Since the beginning of 2005, tickets operate completely independent from the KTTW card, even though they are coded onto the KTTW card. For example, you could book a 1-night Disney resort package, and purchase a 10-day ticket as part of that package. You check-out of your Disney resort tomorrow, but those tickets are still good for 14 days from the date of first use of the ticket … it has NOTHING to do with when you check-out of your resort. Likewise, you can book a 10-day Disney resort package stay with a 1-day park ticket. This is the essence of Disney’s naming their ticketing system “Magic Your Way” … you choose exactly the type of ticket you want, and it is not dictated by when you check-out of your Disney resort.

I’m not trying to be negative, but I DO very much want people to get accurate information. THANKS!

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1036199]
Park tickets bought elsewhere definitely CAN be put onto your Key To The World card. It’s very easy, they do it many times every day. It’s also important to realize that receiving your tickets on your KTTW card (like when you buy a Disney resort package) or having your elsewhere-bought tickets added to your KTTW card does NOT “activate” the tickets. This is a very important point, because tickets expire 14 days from the first use of the ticket, NOT 14 days from the time you receive them and NOT 14 days from your check-in day.[/QUOTE]

I’m an annual FL passholder, so different rules apply for me BUT, are you 100% sure that you can apply your park tickets to your room key? I don’t think you can? I had friends that had the OLD no expiration tickets, and altho they changed them to new park tickets, they could not add them to the room key because they were NOT park of the original package?

Sadly, since every CM you talk to will give you different info, it’s best to just wait to speak to someone at check in. It’s no big deal to have two different tixs, my annuals are never on my room key, just my room/cc/dining! :happy:

Remember too, you can add the no expiration to your tickets at any time! Last trip, my Mom had a 3 day hopper, but only used two days. At checkout we asked if we could make it a no expiration, and we could but we had to pay the $5/day - but $15 is cheaper then losing a $70+ ticket.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;1036207]I’m an annual FL passholder, so different rules apply for me BUT, are you 100% sure that you can apply your park tickets to your room key? I don’t think you can? I had friends that had the OLD no expiration tickets, and altho they changed them to new park tickets, they could not add them to the room key because they were NOT park of the original package?
[/QUOTE]
The rason your friends couldn’t have those tickets coded onto their KTTW cards had nothing to do with the fact that they weren’t part of the package. Rather, it’s because they were “old” tickets.

Disney has very specific ticketing policies and procedures. These policies and procedures have nothing to do with logic and common sense, and therefore it’s literally impossible to use logic to figure out what “should be” … it’s just a matter of what is and what isn’t.

In this case, it’s true that an “old” ticket can’t be coded onto a KTTW card. But a ticket that is is still eligible for upgrading CAN be coded onto the card. Tickets can only be added-to, upgraded, echanged for credit, etc., up to 14 days from the date of their first use. This applies even to a ticket with the No Expiration option. [There are, however, some different rules for some Florida resident tickets and some military tickets, which further complicates everything].

DId you ever hear the old saying that English is such a difficult language to learn because it has so many rules AND so many exceptions to those rules? It’s the same with Disney tickets. But I’ve spent years studying the system, keeping up with the changes, etc., plus I’m one of those people who is very detail-oriented, so I’m confident in my knowledge of Disney ticketing.

But to come back to a specific example, there are many people every day who book room-only resort reservations and who separately buy new park tickets from places like AAA, Maple Leaf Tickets, Undercover Tourist, Official Ticket Center, and others. These folks show up at their Disney resort, check-in at the front desk, and then, since they’d rather not carry around two different cards, go to their resort’s Lobby Concierge desk or go to any park ticket window and have their tickets coded onto their KTTW cards. It happens every single day, it’s nothing odd or exotic for the DIsney cast members.

But remember the exceptions to the rule, the fact that a ticket that is no longer eligible for upgrading can’t be coded onto the card. Neither can any sort of Annual Pass or Florida seasonal pass or Play Three or Play Four ticket, by the way.

ClevRocks - If you have your park tickets that you purchased at a nonDisney vendor put on your KTTW card and loose the card :eek: are the tickets recoverable? Sorry to thread jack :blush: - I’ve always wondered about this.

[QUOTE=FairyGranmama;1036215]ClevRocks - If you have your park tickets that you purchased at a nonDisney vendor put on your KTTW card and loose the card :eek: are the tickets recoverable? Sorry to thread jack :blush: - I’ve always wondered about this.[/QUOTE]ANY Disney ticket is recoverable if you have the numbers on the front or the back.

To make sure you have access to the numbers if you lose the ticket, you can write down the numbers. In our high-tech world, I’d suggest taking a photo with your cellphone and e-mailing it to yourself, or dictating the numbers onto your home voice mail.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1036218]ANY Disney ticket is recoverable if you have the numbers on the front or the back.

To make sure you have access to the numbers if you lose the ticket, you can write down the numbers. In our high-tech world, I’d suggest taking a photo with your cellphone and e-mailing it to yourself, or dictating the numbers onto your home voice mail.[/QUOTE]

Do the same with your photopass numbers, I know at the end of a trip, I can have 4 to 5 of those and keeping track of them all is tough! As long as you have the numbers you can retrieve the pictures.

ok help me out with this one, if i buy a AP but I do not activate it until we go the last week of the year for our offsite stay. and then we check in at disney on Jan 2 for a six night stay can I book and use any AP perks that come with it for room rates for the stay before I activate it but after i buy the voucher for the ap?

I have asked Mouseketrips this very question, and I have been told that you can get the reduced room rate prior to activation, but you have to call to get it. You can check with them to be sure. They will answer you quickly and there is no cost or obligation. They are glad to help. Then you will have to show your activated AP at the desk at Check-in. I have activated my passes before check-in everytime at Downtown Disney when we were staying outside the parks. The passes were good for one year from the date of activation, not the date of purchase. This past time, I purchased them a month before and activated them when we arrived, and the expire date is the date I activated them at DTD. Being a DVC member and with the number of trips we have made this year alone, I prefer the annual passes, but the choice is up to you and it is very dependent on whether you plan to return in a year.

Well If I do get an AP than it would make common sense to have to do more than one trip within the year to make the most out of the AP. hehe

My thoughts exactly. that’s part of the fun of having one. That spur of the moment Disney Trip.