Hey Veterans Did You Know?

I read another thread talking about active service personnel and the rates they get at Shades of Green. As a veteran from another time ( long, long, long time ago ), I thought it was awfully decent that Disney is taking care of the active duty guys & gals, believe me there was nothing like that back when I served.

So I decided to see if Disney had thought about us guys who served during other conflicts and sure enough they did! Now all disabled vets get the same treatment as active duty personnel and that is as it should be. But wait there’s more…

Did you know that twice a year, in January and September, SoG opens it’s doors to all honorably discharged veterans, all you need to do is show your DD214 ( I knew there was a reason I kept mine in the safe all these years ). They even have a link to help you get a copy if you have lost yours.

In addition, 365 days a year if you call SoG they will get you a discount at any of the other Disney Resorts! ! !

Check this link out Shades of Green® Resort on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort offical website is the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in the continental U.S. Shades of Green® on WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort is a military resort serving the U.S. Army, Navy, Air

Anyhow, I just thought that was about as cool as it gets and wanted to share with the other vets out there.

-Harry

Actually, DoD owns and operates Shades of Green.
But I could think of many worse ways to spend our tax money.

As for discounts being made available to active servicemen and vets, that is nice that Disney has arranged discounts. It’s the least they could do.

We 20+ year retired folk also have access to SoG year round. And the Jan and Sept options are new. I know they have had trouble filling all of the rooms with the recent economy, so they are offering lots of new temporary options to boost occupancy. Lots of varied weekend escape packages have popped up recently.

We like SoG for the size of the roomand stay there if we have no more points. Their rooms and those at CR and Poly are the biggest standard rooms on site. Not much in the way of theming, but for the price who cares ($120 a night for me). Clean, safe and a very courteous staff looking after their guests.

If you get a chance to stay at SoG please note that the food is good, but in no way great. And the transportation schedule is not as frequent as regular WDW transportation. You actually have to plan to be at the bus stop at a certain time. I know that is tough for some, but we have never had a problem.

My good friend just got back from WDW and although she is no longer active but served 9 years in the Air Force 15 years ago…she got AWESOME rates on park tickets as well as the room. I think she got a 4day hopper for $149 or something ridiculous like that! I was so glad that Disney treated her and her family well as it was their first visit and they are scraping by as it is.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1076964]Actually, DoD owns and operates Shades of Green.
But I could think of many worse ways to spend our tax money.

As for discounts being made available to active servicemen and vets, that is nice that Disney has arranged discounts. It’s the least they could do.[/QUOTE]

I could think of many ways period to spend tax money, but SoG isn’t one of then. The resort is self supported and operates by the revenue brought in. (so they say anyway)

Wondering how she got that. The $136 Four day hopper or water is supposed to be only for active, full retired, Activated Guard and Reserves and that rate just recently extended through next year. There have been Caretaker specials for dependants as well as a few select other programs valid only certain times of the year. Maybe she qualified for one of those but to date the Salute tics still aren’t authorized for Disabled/Discharged Vets, something I hope they’ll reconsider one day.

Outstanding point. The $$ spent to purchase the property was originally from the Dept of the Army funds and also funds generated at the base store/commisary level and paid back by those who stay there.

Only a guess now, but all of these extrended offers are to ensure there is a sufficient cash flow to pay back the purchse and expansion funds borowed. God forbid the DOD recreation division be blamed for running up the federal deficit.

And how a non-active duty, retired or disabled vet used the proerty is not a concern during these tight $$$ times. As long as the bill is paid I’m for it.

So true Rich. I hope you didn’t miss the point of my question though. It wasn’t whether or not how someone can stay at the resort but rather being able to qualify for the Salute tics. SoG always tries to have an open door policy to the resort for most who have served, even the RAF but Disney on the other had is a bit more tight-gripped with the tics.

SoG might have been granted permission from Disney to issue them. If so, BRAVO ZULU to Disney.

We all know that going all the way back to Walt Disney himself there has been an overwhelming support for all troops and Veterans woven into the Disney culture. This might be another example of their support. If so, I say Thank You to the upper brass within the corporation.

I’m so glad that SoG is there. Without it we couldn’t afford to go to Disney and stay on site as often as we have. Offering the Salute tics is a HUGE bonus too.:happy:

We both could and we would agree and disagree on various line items.
As for SoG being “self supporting”, does the USG have anything that’s truly self supporting?

And that’s all I’ll say about that.:blush:

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1077075]SoG might have been granted permission from Disney to issue them. If so, BRAVO ZULU to Disney.

[/QUOTE]

And if not? Bravo Sierra?:eek:

:laugh:

I was surprised too…We read through the rules before she left and she said she triple checked with the CM that sold them to her. He even said it was good until next year so they are trying to plan another trip if possible!
9 years serving is good enough for me :slight_smile: I am happy they were able to get a little magic!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1077097]We both could and we would agree and disagree on various line items.
As for SoG being “self supporting”, does the USG have anything that’s truly self supporting?

And that’s all I’ll say about that.:blush:[/QUOTE]

The non appropriated fund facilities have to be self supporting per federal law or they have to be closed.

The only other recreation funds within the US Military are the funds given to the commands. These funds are only a few dollars per year per member. And again, that goes to that troops individual unit. Those few dollars are used for unit functions (hail and farewell functions, unit picnics for the troops and their families, etc). The total alloted per troop, per month, is less than the number of singles in my wallet as I type. Other than that all recreation funds must be self generated by the facility. I personally know about the troop unit recreation allowances becasue I ran the fund as part of our supply department my last 5 years on active duty. It was worse to loose accounting of that fund than if I lost accountability for one of our vehicles from the motor pool.

So in short, yes, SoG is “self supporting”.

Ok all,

This was supposed to be a happy thread, let’s forget about who is paying what. The bottom line is SoG and Disney are remembering all the vets and that is what we should be happy about.

-Harry

GrumpyDad thank you so much for the reminders of how wonderful SoG is. The location, price, staff and facility itself. As stated before because of SoG we can afford the opportunities to go to Disney as often as we have.

My response was more of a concern than trying to be argumentive. Reason being as of now the “public policy” being announced do not include Vet’s on that particular discount. If someone was awarded it then I think that’s AWESOME! Imo I think anyone who puts their life on the line to protect others whether it be military, police, fire etc all deserve praise in some way.

There may be some extenuating circumstances as to why the family above qualified but it is not the norm. We all know how the CM roulette works. One says No then right after another will say Yes to the same question. I had my own experience last summer when a CM used his magic fingers to push magic buttons for something that wasn’t supposed to happen involving GADGAD.
I also read on another site where some who served but weren’t active/retired got to the gate and made a big stink when they were told they weren’t eligible. But with Disney being Disney and wanting to please and not draw a scene, the Supervisor did an override of the system. But not all will do that and I’d hate for a family on a really tight budget to get to the gate anticipating a heavy discount that could be the deciding factor as to whether they could go or not get turned away.

So if you have served but are not listed in the eligibility requirements, Please Please Please check before you go and if possible purchase those tics in advance to make sure it’s applicable.

I’m just glad it’s there, even if I’m not qualified.

A tip if you stay at SOG: take their shuttle to the TTC and then use disney’s transportation from there, ESPECIALLY if going to AK or HS, unless you just happen to be at the entrance in plenty of time to high-tale it to BFE. I prefer SOG due to size and cost but just decided last week that we are going next month and SOG was booked so I got 35% off POFQ which came out to “about” the same price. If it weren’t for these military deals, we could not afford it either.

My dad and husband are both veterans. My dad does receive some disability from the VA but I’m not sure if he is 100%. If he is 100% he qualifies right? DH is a veteran also but doesn’t qualify but from this information it sounds like I should check it out. So how do we do that? We would just need tics as we are already renting points for our room.

Never mind, I see it I read it wrong, RETIRED and not disabled. Oh well, I’m glad they offer something for those who served! My cousin in the Marine Corps has taken his family several times due to the military discounts and I know they could not have went any other way.