Hi Speed rail MCO to WDW

This sounds interesting!!
MCO to WDW!!!

Is Disney fully on board with plans for high-speed rail? | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com

I wonder if it would work kinda like the MagicExpress.
The Rail people get your bags to the resort, the “patrons” as they say at the Masters would take the rail to a TTC-like place with a bus station much like they have now at the parks and catch a bus…

Wonder how long it would take to get your bags to the resorts??
You’d have to pack a carry on with “stuff” for the day.

Frank

[QUOTE=fjs08;1031018]This sounds interesting!!
MCO to WDW!!!

Is Disney fully on board with plans for high-speed rail? | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com

I wonder if it would work kinda like the MagicExpress.
The Rail people get your bags to the resort, the “patrons” as they say at the Masters would take the rail to a TTC-like place with a bus station much like they have now at the parks and catch a bus…

Wonder how long it would take to get your bags to the resorts??
You’d have to pack a carry on with “stuff” for the day.

Frank[/QUOTE]

This is a pretty hot topic down here. From all the talk I have heard the train station would be close to Disney property (Disney is looking at selling a few acres on the edge of there south edge). I think it is south of Celebration.

So if the train was in place you would have to catch it at the airport then transfer to a bus for the last few miles (yes miles) on to Disney property.

As for the high speed part. The train will be making 3 (possibly more) stops in 10-15 mile leg out towards Disney so I don’t think it will be whizzing at high speed (then it will stop in lakeland before heading to downtown Tampa). The estimates is it will maybe do 80mph. That is just a few miles faster then the current Amtrak line that the new train will more or less follow.

My personal opinion (you all knew you were going to get it so buckle up) is they shouldn’t be doing this right now because 1) the region is under water budget wise 2) the State is struggling to stay above water budget wise 3) the Federal government has a little debt issue of it’s own.

Don’t get me wrong I love the HSR train idea. The truth is we already have a train that runs almost the same route (just have to add 3 stations) that runs just a few mph slower. It would be much cheaper just to upgrade this line for now.

Also we are getting a local commuter rail system in central FLA. IMO this is the one that should be linking Disney and OIA (as well as international drive). Sunrail will run from the north of Orlando thru downtown to the south (total about 60 miles). It by passes the airport, I drive, and Disney. It follows CSX freight line with little residential or commercial development around it (there are plans and there are some areas with this but the majority is industrial or vacant).

IMO if we are going to spend the money give it all to central FLA to put in a high speed elevated monorail system that links the northern and southern suburbs with downtown, OIA, I-drive, Disney. Build feeder in the future out to UCF/Easter suburbs.

Anyway these rail projects have a way of not happening in FLA so don’t get your hopes up on taking the rail into WDW…even though Walt would have loved that.

OIA??
Interesting to get a locals input on this. Usually YOU do know the real ins and outs of it.
We spend a lot of time in Tampa/St Pete and the people there know we love to go to Disney. They were talking to me about it.
I told them I doubted I would take it from Tampa. I figure, I can literally get in my car and drive the 4 over quicker than all that would be entailed in going to the rail station, etc, etc, etc.
Frank

[QUOTE=fjs08;1031030]OIA??
Interesting to get a locals input on this. Usually YOU do know the real ins and outs of it.
We spend a lot of time in Tampa/St Pete and the people there know we love to go to Disney. They were talking to me about it.
I told them I doubted I would take it from Tampa. I figure, I can literally get in my car and drive the 4 over quicker than all that would be entailed in going to the rail station, etc, etc, etc.
Frank[/QUOTE]

OIA = Orlando International Airport (I use to call it MCO but no one knew what I was talking about).

The HSR line is suppose to connect downtown Tampa to OIA with stop in between. Eventually it will continue and connect to Tri-Rail in south FLA. This would provide HSR connection from Tampa to Miami. Funny thing is there is already an Amtrak route that runs only a few mph slower then the HSR will be able to go.

The amusing thing was when they held a presser on in support of the HSR they gave some estimated time. A reporter pointed out that it took more time by train then by without including; driving to the station, parking, waiting on the train, travel, finding transportation once you arrive.

Like I said I like the train idea I just think they need to find a better integration. Florida will never have the density of a NYC, Chicago, or LA. We are spread out like crazy. I would love to see a system like this:

people cargo mover | People Cargo Mover

It would fit easily along the I-4 corridor as well being compact enough to access downtown, Disney, I-drive, and OIA with out massive infrastructure change.

If the State would invest a few 100 million into me I would be happy to start a company here in FLA creating lots of jobs creating a next generation transportation system that could then be exported to other States and countries :biggrin:

I’ll comment later.

It has been a well know fact that Walt wanted this when he was planning WDW and if I remember correctly it was in conjunction with EPCOT.

Yes Walt had big plans for EPCOT. It was suppose to be a city not a theme park (Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow). Part of that was suppose to be an airport linked by monorail.

You can learn more here:

Walt Disney’s Original Epcot Project

(Orlando could have learned so much from the ECOT idea but they choose sprawls instead.)