Hilton Head v. Vero Beach

I’ve never visited either resort, but we are thinking of going to one of them next year. The chart on DVC website says there is no table service dining or tennis at Hilton Head. It also looks like the resort is near neither the beach, nor the section of the island that has restaurants and shopping.

Soooo…

Has anyone been to both or either resort? Can you give me any information that helps me decide between the two? I have a golfing husband, so being at Hilton Head would be heaven for him, but the rest of us would only survive if there is a ton of (non-golf) stuff for us to do.

Well, Hilton Head is an island… it’s not beach-front. You have to take a tram to the beach. Hilton Head is fun for biking, golfing, and fishing. It’s kind of a relaxing, outdoorsy place.

But if you want the beach, go for Vero, where it’s guaranteed.

I hate to say it, because I am a South Carolinian and HI is one of my favorite places on earth, but if you want the beach - go to Vero.

I’ve never been to Vero but I grew up in HH and can probably tell you everything you want to know about it. :laugh:
There is TONS of shopping, eating and beach activities to do there but they aren’t all near the resort so it will take some driving. It’s a great place to go and I love it there.

[QUOTE=cinderbella;868885]I’ve never been to Vero but I grew up in HH and can probably tell you everything you want to know about it. :laugh:
There is TONS of shopping, eating and beach activities to do there but they aren’t all near the resort so it will take some driving. It’s a great place to go and I love it there.[/QUOTE]

My favorite place to eat on HHI is the Old Oyster Factory, get there before 6:00 and get a seat on the small deck. Amazing!!!

Haven’t been to Vero yet, but we LOVE HHI! So much to do in the area. One day we went out on the America’s Cup Stars and Stripes for about 2 1/2 hours…it was awesome. Also went light house visiting and drove to Savannah GA and Charleston SC…we stayed busy the entire week. The beach is just a tramride away (or bike ride, but we had too big of a party with varying ages so we didn’t do that); at the beachfront property, there’s a pool and bar for those who don’t really want to beach it.

We spent Spring Break @ Hilton Head and loved it!! We are returning next year!! It was a fun Disney vacation minus the parks. The have activities for all ages and the island is so relaxing!!:mickey::mickey::mickey:

Thanks for th efeedback… sounds like HH has its fans, but what about that dining situation? Where are you supposed to eat if the nearest restaurant is pretty far away?

There is a counter service restaurant on the site and another one at the beach house. One or two nights a week they have a low country shrimp boil buffet with tons of choices. (It was yummy!!) This is held at the beach house. You are walking distance to several restaurants on the harbour which are good also. We had a studio room which had a microwave and fridge so we had snack food and drinks in the room. They also have the refillable mugs and you can fill them up at the general store until it closes. We never had a problem finding a place to at. I recommend the Salty Dog Cafe over at Sea Pines. Sticky Fingers is another yummy choice!!

Would you not have a car?

Shelter Cove Harbour is the area that the resort is in (although it’s gated and set back a little bit) and there are numerous restaurants there. Also there is a very small mall close by. You could walk or ride bikes to either of those places no problems.