"Holiday Surcharge" returning to WDW character meals & buffets

Just saw this on AllEars:

The holiday surcharge for buffet and character meals around the World is returning, as previously announced. Prices for meals during these dates will be several dollars more per person than at other times of the year. The dates affected are April 5 - April 18, 2009, and May 24 - July 11, 2009. For example, at the Magic Kingdom’s Crystal Palace, prices will be as follows:

Breakfast: $22.99/Guest (10 and older)–$12.99/Guest (3-9) (regularly $18.99/$10.99)
Lunch: $24.99/Guest (10 and older)–$13.99/Guest (3-9) (regularly $20.99/$11.99)
Dinner: $34.99/Guest (10 and older)–$16.99 Guest (3-9) (regularly $28.99/$13.99)

Alright, I have to say that a part of this REALLY annoys me. I can understand charging a couple bucks more for a buffet meal that has a special holiday offering. Like when we were at 1900 Park Fare for Thanksgiving Day a couple years ago. It was a ‘special menu’ so I wouldn’t mind a small extra charge. Christmas Day, Easter Sunday, heck even Saint Patrick’s Day… fine. BUT, why in the world would they charge a ‘holiday surcharge’ EVERYDAY between the dates of May 24th-July 11th? :huh: Yes, Memorial Day is ONE DAY at the end of May and then the 4th of July but WHY charge a surcharge for the WHOLE month of June? Is the month of June a national holiday now that I am unaware of?

:glare:

We always do the dining plan so I am not too concerned with individual meal prices BUT I just don’t know how they get away with calling something a ‘holiday surcharge’ then charge the increased prices EVERYDAY for more than a month! :huh:?

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;936132]Just saw this on AllEars:

The holiday surcharge for buffet and character meals around the World is returning, as previously announced. Prices for meals during these dates will be several dollars more per person than at other times of the year. The dates affected are April 5 - April 18, 2009, and May 24 - July 11, 2009. For example, at the Magic Kingdom’s Crystal Palace, prices will be as follows:

Breakfast: $22.99/Guest (10 and older)–$12.99/Guest (3-9) (regularly $18.99/$10.99)
Lunch: $24.99/Guest (10 and older)–$13.99/Guest (3-9) (regularly $20.99/$11.99)
Dinner: $34.99/Guest (10 and older)–$16.99 Guest (3-9) (regularly $28.99/$13.99)[/QUOTE]

Those prices are just crazy! If we were going during that time we would skip some buffets because those prices are just too high. Why is June a holiday?

I don’t know, I REALLY thought that holiday meal prices were for the day of a holiday only. I had NO idea they were extending those jacked-up prices to a whole SEASON!

Truth be told, they NEED to call it “Seasonal Surcharge.” :glare:

That was my first thought- the whole “season”??!? For the May-July you only have Memorial Day and 4th of July and Father’s Day. Why not make it for the weekend of the holiday?
Those prices are way too much!

This makes ZERO sense. I can understand charging more for the holidays themselves (maybe a few days before or after…) but WHY A WHOLE MONTH???

ANNOYING. :glare:

I just love how the entire month of June now qualifies for “holiday” price surcharges.
What holiday? Flag Day/Soundgod’s Birthday? Flag Day isn’t even a major holiday!
Or are they just trying to scratch out some extra income during June when Florida schools just let out?
I say the whole thing stinks like last week’s diapers.

My birthday is in June. That means I’m going to have to pay extra for my breakfast at Crystal Palace. Sure is a good thing I’m getting that $70 gift card.
I’m seriously beginning to think about not renewing my AP in October and giving WDW a one year time out.
Florida resident rates are almost as good as AP rates at the hotels anyway. And I can get a 3 day hopper for $120.

WHAT’s next a surcharge for a Monday - Sunday meal

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anyway, a $23 breakfast had better be incredibly tasty!

this is ridiculous i know they are hurting but this just seems wrong. we have adrs for cp in April for bf… im not sure it is worth $22.99 for breakfast. that is $46.00 for dh and i .we pay for bf and use dp for dinner. have to think about this one.

I to am outraged. This is so crazy. Is there a number that we can call and give them some feedback on how we feel about this. Maybe if enough people say something, maybe they will do something about it. Maybe!!

Guess they have to make up for the “buy four get three” somehow. :glare:

Ha Ha, so very true!!!:laugh::laugh:

That is just not right. I hope people speak up by writing, e-mailing, or stopping into Guest Services.

So, does this include Ohana’s. I know it is not a buffet but it is an all you can eat. We are planning on going there in June,but boy at the price I may go somewhere else. Does anyone know if Ohana’s is included?

Well, my instint would tell me that no O’hana dinner wouldn’t be included. Although, their breakfast is a character meal so I am assuming that would be included.

Anyway, a $23 breakfast had better be incredibly tasty![/QUOTE]

I’ve got no quibbles with quality at CP and 1900 for breakfast and never have.

Breakfast and dinner at 'Ohana are subject to the surcharge, as would be Garden Grill and Liberty Tree as they are all “family style” service.