HooRah!

I must say I’m sort of disappointed. My honey is a former Marine. No longer enlisted, but not retired. I called to see if that still made him eligible for any military discounts and I was told no. He served our country…doesn’t that count for a little something??

The Military discounts, unfortunately are for active military/retired only. The current discount ends in October and no new ones has been released yet.

Wait, what?
It’s for active or retired only?
What about reservists and NG?
That don’t seem right. Not one bit.

Not when so many have pulled multiple tours in the war zones.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1111204]Wait, what?
It’s for active or retired only?
What about reservists and NG?
That don’t seem right. Not one bit.

Not when so many have pulled multiple tours in the war zones.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! He has an id from when he was enlisted. He has been out roughly 5 years. Why does that not count? He is technically a veteran.

Active Reservist do count for some of the discounts.
US non-retired Vet’son 100% disability status are invited to stay at SoG during the months of Sept & Jan at a Cat 2 or 3 rate. So does RAF assigned to a US station and Merchant Marines to name a few. That is a huge discount since lodging is a major part of the vacation budget.
As for Salute tics and discounts on WDW rooms you must be current or have retired.
I appreciate your husband’s service and your’s too, and i’m not trying to sound mean about it but if Disney contined to offer discounts to everyone that has served where would it stop. Next the Fire & Rescue and all Law Enforcement would want it. Well heck, everyone wants it but I think you get my point.

No, I get your point. I just think that if you were at any point in the military you should get a discount

SoG is reserved for the use of active and retired members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. Reserves, National Guard, as well as currently employed DOD civilians and U.S. Public Health Officers are eligible. So if he is an active Reserves or National Guard he is eligible for the SOG.

All eligible for discounts. That’s a LOT!

Armed Forces and their Families Members on active duty, Reserve, and National Guard, Cadets and Midshipmen of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Merchant Marine Academies.
ID is Common Access Card

Other Uniformed Services Public Health Service, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps.
ID is DD Form 2, PHS 1866-1 or 1866-3

Armed Forces Retirees and their Family Members Retired from active duty, Reserves, and National Guard with or without pay (gray area)
ID is DD Form 2, 1173 or 1173-1

Others Separated from the Armed Forces and their Family Members Honorably discharged veterans with 100 percent Service-connected disability. ID is DD Form 1173 or DD Form 2765
Involuntarily separated service members under the Transition Assistance Management Program ID is DD Form 2

Personnel separated under the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) and Special Separation Benefit (SSB) programs for two years after separation ID is DD Form 2

Former and/or Surviving Spouses and Family Members Unremarried surviving spouses of personnel who died while on active duty or while in retired status ID is DD Form 1173 or 1173-1
Un-remarried former spouses who were married to military members for at least 20 years while the military member was on active duty ID is DD Form 1173

Other Supporters of the Department of Defense Military personnel of foreign nations and their family members when assigned or attached to a U.S. military unit or installation or on U.S. Travel Orders.

U.S. employees of firms under contract to Department of Defense working in the Pacific Region outside the U.S. on Department of Defense Government orders.

Other personnel on official business with Department of Defense as may be specifically authorized by the General Manager or his designee.

ID is DD Form 1173 or 2765

U.S. Department of Defense Civilians and Family Members Current and retired (APF and NAF) Department of Defense (DoD) and Coast Guard (CG) civilian employees. DOD or CG ID card, Retired ID card, or current Leave and Earnings Statement with photo ID required for check-in.

Shades of Green® Resort on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort official website is the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in the continental U.S. Shades of Green® on WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort is a military resort serving the U.S. Army, Navy, Air

If eligile for SoG you can also get discounted tics there too, just not the Salute Tics. Who knows, after Oct none of us may get Salute Tics if Disney doesn’t renew the contract.

That does cover a lot, but it doesn’t cover people who are just civilians now. I wouldn’t have used the discount bc we don’t want to stay at SoG, but it would be nice to be included ya know?

You don’t have to stay at SoG to purchase (if eligible) discounted tics. Those can be purchased there regardless of where you stay.
I understand the appreciation for military, trust me. But complaining because you don’t get the “top” discounts offered by someplace you used to work at would be like me getting upset because I don’t get corporate discounts at Dolphin or Coronado even though I worked for H & R Block for six years over 17 years ago. When you leave (quit) a job, expect the perks to leave too.

SoG isn’t owned by WDW.

Shades of Green is a United States Department of Defense-owned resort located in the city of Bay Lake, Florida, near Walt Disney World. It is an Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) resort and therefore a part of the military’s Morale, Welfare, and Recreation program (MWR).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_Green_(resort)

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1111223]You don’t have to stay at SoG to purchase (if eligible) discounted tics. Those can be purchased there regardless of where you stay.
I understand the appreciation for military, trust me. But complaining because you don’t get the “top” discounts offered by someplace you used to work at would be like me getting upset because I don’t get corporate discounts at Dolphin or Coronado even though I worked for H & R Block for six years over 17 years ago. When you leave (quit) a job, expect the perks to leave too.[/QUOTE]

This more or less summarizes what I was going to say. Military discounts to active/retired military can be applied to other resorts.

SG - National guard and reserve are considered active/retired military.

Have to also agree with Mickeybug’s opinion on the discount as well.

Understood everyone. I’m just saying I would have thought it applied to all current and former members

Please see this thread. SOG does recognize the rest of us during a special window each year

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/wdw-resorts/57601-hey-veterans-did-you-know.html

-Harry
US Army 1973-1976

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1111243]Please see this thread. SOG does recognize the rest of us during a special window each year

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/wdw-resorts/57601-hey-veterans-did-you-know.html

-Harry
US Army 1973-1976[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that, Harry. I wasn’t aware - now I know.:heart:

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1111223]You don’t have to stay at SoG to purchase (if eligible) discounted tics. Those can be purchased there regardless of where you stay.
I understand the appreciation for military, trust me. But complaining because you don’t get the “top” discounts offered by someplace you used to work at would be like me getting upset because I don’t get corporate discounts at Dolphin or Coronado even though I worked for H & R Block for six years over 17 years ago. When you leave (quit) a job, expect the perks to leave too.[/QUOTE]

I genreally try to not speak on these subjects, but I feel the need, one of the differences for my generation is that most of the guys I served with did not choose to “work” at this “job”. They were drafted and told they were going to risk there lifes to protect the American way of life. Keep in mind that the average age for the combat soldier in Vietnam was 19 years old, 19 years old with no choice but to be there. When we left the service we were not treated as returning heros, but as pariahs or worse. I did enlist and was lucky enough to get a duty station other then Vietnam, but even I was treated very poorly when I got out.

So yes I do think the DoD owes the troops a bit more then H & R Block owes their folks. After all how many people got shot at in the office while you were there?

Sorry all, soap box off

With respect,
Harry

Harry you missed my point. When you Voluntarily go to work somewhere (there hasn’t been a draft in 40 yrs) and you Voluntarily leave that job, not because of retirement or medical, you shouldn’t expect to keep all the perks awarded while there.
I’m sorry you were treated that way. Unfortunately some still are but in this day society as a whole are trying to give respect and appreciation earned for service given.

(and no, I wasn’t in the office but I was doa on the end of a double barrel. That’s for another story though).

My dad is a vietnam vet and was drafted back in the 60s. He voluntarily left, but was deemed perminantly disabled in the late 1990s. He has PTSD. A pretty bad case. Also a holder of a purple heart.

Then I don’t understand how Disney Fan’s DH is ineligible for discounts.
He’s either retired or active, at least that’s how I see it.
He enlisted, wore the uniform and either quit or pulled a stint in the reserves.

I admit, I’m a civilian and don’t normally have to think about this. It’s just that, for me, I’m seeing 2+2 not equalling 4, but 3. :confused:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1111287]Then I don’t understand how Disney Fan’s DH is ineligible for discounts.
He’s either retired or active, at least that’s how I see it.
He enlisted, wore the uniform and either quit or pulled a stint in the reserves.

I admit, I’m a civilian and don’t normally have to think about this. It’s just that, for me, I’m seeing 2+2 not equalling 4, but 3. :confused:[/QUOTE]

She said he was discharged (meaning left due to his time being up and did not re-enlist or at least that’s how I understood it), not retired. Retired military normally means you ended a full career with them just like any job you would retire from. I don’t decide who gets which discounts and who doesn’t. I was also in the military a long time ago and am not eligible nor should I be.