How are we going to afford Disney this year?

We may have to cancel our trip this year to WDW. I am so upset. Please someone tell me how to go to Disney for a week under $3,000 (and not cook my own food and stay on the property).

How many of you are there?

Hopefully you get a PIN offer.

I received a great PIN offer last week; I called to get a quote just to see what the cost would be. The offer was for a Value resort where kids stay, play and eat for free with a 5 night 6 day stay. I was quoted $1876 for Pop Century I asked about Moderate and was quoted $2118 for Caribbean Beach. Both quotes were also during Easter week. I’m soooo bummed that I won’t be able to use this offer.

For me, and only for me…

1. I quoted the trip, so I knew how much it was going to cost…My trip is 11 months away at Christmas and will cost me around $6,000 for travel/throw away souvenier money/and all the Disney packages I wanted. $4800 is Disney Package stuff.

2. I made a budget around my priorities and cut where I could.

3. Once I saw it was possible, I booked the trip with a $200 deposit. Now it is mental - I am going and it is my mind to pay.

4. I go to my travel agent and pay them every pay period (which is weekly for me)…and yes I feel like a complete dweeb going in and paying a little at time.

My prioritities might be different than most though. I only vacation in cash. That way I spend what I said I would, but have NO REMORSE. Also, going to my travel agent so frequently keeps the end goal in mind.

BTW, I have been EXTREMELY shocked at the amount of money that has freed up in our budget by simply having a budget.

Book before Friday and you can still get the Buy 4 get 3 Free deal. Stay at Value and I think it comes in under $3000. (Including DDP) It is available most dates thru 6/27 EXCEPT Easter.

There are 4 of us staying-Me, DH, DS17, DS12. I would love to get a pin offer but I am sure they will not offer one for the summer. We can not go any other time but the end of July.

I just got a quote from AAA for 3,094 and that includes 4 nights at the CBR, dinning, 7 day hopper and two nights at AKL. The two nights at AKL does not include dinning but we will have the park passes.

How does that sound? I would most certianly try a value but I think the rooms will be too small for the four of us. DH and DS17 are over 6 feet tall.

What’s wrong with not going for a year and saving for a really great trip the next?

I am starting to think that is what we will have to do. This economy has me so scared to spend all this money. If it continues the way it is going, so many people are going to loose their jobs and I depend on other peoples income for my job-I am self employed. I don’t mean to sound depressing and I am certianlly an optimist but these are scarey times.

Have you thought about Fort Wilderness? I’ve read some great reviews on here.

What about two connecting rooms at a value or one of the suites? If you cut out hopper and plan your days aroundEMH you will save alot there. With two teens the meal plan is probably a good option,how about Quick Sevice? It would give you 2- counters,the mugs and I believe 2-snacks. You could always add a few tableservice to spice it up!

You’ll be sad for a little while, but then, when all goes well, you will be able to enjoy yourself.
You know the cost you estimate is never the real cost of a trip. You’ll need to go shopping before you go, you’ll go shopping while you’re there, etc.
If you wait a year, you will feel so much more comfortable in your skin, not having to fret over every penny that goes out :wink:

Have you considered renting DVC points from a member? Our friends saved alot of money renting from RLCarmichael last year and have very nice accommodations.

A week in early June at Old Key West would be about 100 points, most people charge $10-$11 per point, so it would be about $1000 for your room. OKW has 2 queen beds in the studios and our family (also tall kids and DH) and we do fine in a room that size. Just a thought…

[QUOTE=Remy;927273]There are 4 of us staying-Me, DH, DS17, DS12. I would love to get a pin offer but I am sure they will not offer one for the summer. We can not go any other time but the end of July.

I just got a quote from AAA for 3,094 and that includes 4 nights at the CBR, dinning, 7 day hopper and two nights at AKL. The two nights at AKL does not include dinning but we will have the park passes.

How does that sound? I would most certianly try a value but I think the rooms will be too small for the four of us. DH and DS17 are over 6 feet tall.[/QUOTE]

I think you should skip the deluxe totally. Budget trips don’t include the deluxes…that will knock your price down right there. I suggest you look into two rooms at the value. You are guaranteed adjoining rooms cause there are minors. Either that or try renting points. Stay on-site renting Monday - Friday and transfer to either a value or an off-site hotel for the weekends…or start your trip off-site and move to the DVC…there are ways to get that price lower.

I’ve got points to rent. Give me dates you are looking at and I’ll give you a couple of options for DVc rentals. A lot of times you can stay at DVC resorts for the price of budget.

A week at SSR in a studio is only 123 points. If you stay Sun-Thur nights I can save you even more. Studio 5 nights at SSR is only 65 points.A 1 br (king master) king & sofa bed in LR for DSs for 5 nights at SSR is 135 points.

The DDP is available for $39 pp pn which would save you with teenage boys!

I agree with the renting DVC points and eliminating the hopper option. Those two things alone will save you a bundle. I think it can be done.

I know you don’t want to cook, but with DVC you can easily have cold breakfast foods there in the room and save another big chunk of cash.

Great ideas for saving money.

[QUOTE=ddoll;927444]I agree with the renting DVC points and eliminating the hopper option. Those two things alone will save you a bundle. I think it can be done.

I know you don’t want to cook, but with DVC you can easily have cold breakfast foods there in the room and save another big chunk of cash.[/QUOTE]

You are so right! We have rented DVC points MANY times in the past and had Deluxe Accomodations, for Value/Moderate prices (before we bought into DVC). We were able to purchase the Dining Plan WITHOUT having to buy park tickets! We bought tickets from an authorized dealer and saved more there. We also get the no expiration option and we use a 10 day hopper over 2-3 trips (and the PLUS options seem to last forever!)

There are DEFINITELY ways to take a budget trip, trust me. I went last year for 2 weeks…10 days onsite, 7 days offsite at our timeshare. I stayed at POP during FREE DINING. We paid $84 a night for the room and we had to buy a 1 day MYW base ticket for each of us.

I also agree with having breakfast foods and snacks in your room. Bagels, pop tarts, donuts, cereal, cereal bars, etc. It will save you a bundle on breakfast at your resort or at the parks!

GOOD LUCK…and if you decide to skip a year, next year’s trip will be that much better. :happy:

Thank you for all the advice and I am looking into renting DVC points. That sounds like a good idea. Also, like Dana said, I will look into buying the tickets at a place like mousesavers and see if I can get a better deal.

Does anyone have a online spot to check out for really good rates on tickets?

Thanks in Advance.
-Marygrace

[QUOTE=Remy;927563]Thank you for all the advice and I am looking into renting DVC points. That sounds like a good idea. Also, like Dana said, I will look into buying the tickets at a place like mousesavers and see if I can get a better deal.

Does anyone have a online spot to check out for really good rates on tickets?

Thanks in Advance.
-Marygrace[/QUOTE]

There are several reputable online brokers right now. One is mapleleaftickets, another is undercovertourist, and the other is floridaorlandotickets

And once you decide on the best type of ticket for you and the best price, then go check out your local AAA to see if they can beat it. Sometimes they can.