How do you all save?

Sorry if this has been posted before… :heart:

Bethishooked gave me an idea…and as I was just reading on my aol disney yahoo group, the many ways people save for Disney…
so i was just wondering…how do you all save for Disney?

I just made a nice altered paint can and I am now using it as my Disney funds jar…all loose change at the end of the day/week goes in, any lotto scratch off winnings that we get goes in…
If at the end of the week I have singles I will throw them in, well I will be doing that for the summer for now, might need the singles once school starts back up and the kids need lunch money.

I just cashed in my reward points from my bank, i am getting at 57.00 check, its not much but it helps.

Anyone else care to share? I am always looking for new and unquie ways.
Anyone do any surveys?
care to share some links? thanks!

I do the change thing as well.

1. Every day I get a Diet Coke ($1.25), I put $2.00 in the machine and take my 3 quarters and it goes in the jar along side all my other change.

2. When I tip at Starbucks and the like I leave a dollar and pocket the change and that is usually about $.90…If tipped the change and kept the $1 I would just spend it.

3. We are having a garage sale in the fall on the 1st Saturday of a month and ALL of that will go to WDW.

I have been doing the change thing since May 15th. I don’t know how much in all we have saved but I counted the quarters the other day and I was at $56.00 in quarters.

We do a lot of things to stay motivated with our saving, but one of the things we do to save is this. Every time we are thinking of going out to eat and talk ourselves out of it, that money goes into our Disney Fund. With Disney as the carrot, we find that money adds up quicker than we can imagine!

This really doesn’t work for me (as our budget is pretty tight right now), but a friend of mine has a $5.00 jar. Anytime she breaks a twenty or ten to buy something, if the change comes back with a $5in it, she pockets it and brings it home to her jar.

She quickly accumulated over $200 in a few months!

Her husband, however, has gotten wise and asks for singles all the time…so, when she does her routine sweep of wallets and purse, she comes up empty and he gets to keep his MAD money. :laugh:

I am the worst about taking money out of my pockets so it usually ends up in the washer or dryer. Any money I find in the laundry goes in my jar. By the end of the school year I usually have between two and three hundred dollars in my laundry jar. Add that to the more than two hundred we have in change and we have quite a bit of spending money.

Your post made me giggle. Our laundry is the first place my kids go to to scrounge up movie or ice cream funds…and it usually comes from my pockets too! :laugh:

They also find other treasures from the teacher’s pockets… many paperclips, confiscated notes from my classroom, marbles (I lost), erasers, sticky notes to myself, etc. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We have a swear jar. Every swear cost .25 to the jar. The front of the swear jar says Disney Money. Really hasn’t helped us stop swear in fact I think we swear even more. You would not believe how fast that jar fills up…especially now the kid is talking.

(ok that is all made up we have a jar that we empty all our loose change into at the end of the day. It is large enough that it take a year to fill up but when it is we have a nice chunk of change for our special trip.)

Ok I have some suggestions for you to really get serious and kick up your savings:

Go to Walmart and buy a 6 pick of DCoke (about $3 cheaper per unit in bulk at Sams Club or Costco). Currently you are spending 6.25 a week. Saving around 3.25 a week or 162.5 a year.

(moving to a 12 or 24 pack of cans and you get even bigger savings!)

Take that saving and put it in your savings.

1. When I tip at Starbucks and the like I leave a dollar and pocket the change and that is usually about $.90…If tipped the change and kept the $1 I would just spend it.

1 word, McDonalds. I know Starbucks is addictive and you probably love the flavor. But I bet moving to McD Cafe coffee you could save another $100 easily for your trip.

Not trying to pick on you just want to show that you can find saving with little changes in habits.

We do the change jar as well. And I find myself intentionally not using change when I buy something so I have more change to put in the jar. :happy:

We use the Disney reward dollars from the Disney Visa (the trick there is to use the card for everything and pay off the bill every month!).

We also stash any unexpected money that comes our way. I figure any money that’s not part of our monthly budget can be put away for Disney! :wub:

[QUOTE=HappyCamper;1039515]Your post made me giggle. Our laundry is the first place my kids go to to scrounge up movie or ice cream funds…and it usually comes from my pockets too! :laugh:

They also find other treasures from the teacher’s pockets… many paperclips, confiscated notes from my classroom, marbles (I lost), erasers, sticky notes to myself, etc. :laugh::laugh::laugh:[/QUOTE]

:laugh: I find a lot of paperclips during the school year. A few years ago our washing machine wasn’t working right so we called for a repair man to look at it. When I got home from work my DH held up a rusty paperclip as the reason it was broken. :blush: I just walked past him and said it didn’t look familiar. I’m always finding wadded up hall passes in the dryer along with my soda money that I didn’t use.

[QUOTE=smee57;1039518]
We use the Disney reward dollars from the Disney Visa (the trick there is to use the card for everything and pay off the bill every month!).

We also stash any unexpected money that comes our way. I figure any money that’s not part of our monthly budget can be put away for Disney! :wub:[/QUOTE]

I also try to put extra money away. It’s adds up and we really don’t miss it. I didn’t get my Disney Vise reward dollars cashed in this year so I’ll have a nice sum next summer for our trip.

This is one subject I am glad not to worry to much about anymore. Since buying a place within an hour of WDW and having a relative that works at Disney the costs of visiting have gone way down. This allows us to splurge on meals when we are visiting and our waistlines show it. :laugh:

I’m also a big fan of the change jar. Though I have to use a lot of my quarters for laundry, I try to save as many as I can and it accumulates pretty decently.

Those who said yard sales, I agree with this idea. It’s also a great way to get some extra cash you didn’t think you would have.

Also, I drink a lot of diet coke and I save up all my cans and recycle them. Usually I can get somewhere between $7-$10 worth of recycling every few months and I always cash the voucher and put the change straight into the Disney fund. If any of your families are big soda drinkers (or anything recyclable-EVEN BEER! :laugh:) you should definitely consider recycling it and using that money for Disney! It may not be the best way, but it does add up after a while! :happy:

I got my first transfer of “rounding up” funds deposited into my Disney savings account yesterday! I was doing a little Disney dance at work (all by myself!) when I saw the money going in there! Another thing I do to make that account grow is I do some driving for my work, in which they reimburse me for mileage. I have it automatically set up for my monthly expense reimbursement checks to be deposited into my Disney savings account.

Pixeemom, you are going to be so surprised to see how fast your paint can will fill!

I don’t spend any change if something costs 1.50 and I have the 50 cents I will give 2 dollars instead and keep the change at the end of the year I have about 1000.00 dollars. The last time mom and I went to WDW we cashed in about2700.00 in change and the bank didn’t have a counter so we had to roll it ourselves

I actually started selling books, cd’s, dvd’s,videos, old gaming systems on Amazon. I have been checking every last thing in my house to see if I can sell it for a worthwhile amont. I found a book I never really used and just made $30.00 after commissions and shipping. (I put it on less than 3 hours ago) I think we have sold about $700.00 worth of stuff the last few months…If we haven’t used it in a year we sold it. We made so much more money then selling at a yard sale.
I also have the Disney visa card and just cashed in $500 for tickets for my trip at the end of the month. It was so nice to not pay for tickets. We earned that much in the last 3 years and could have had more reward dollars if that was the only credit card we use.

Just curious, were these Disney rewards points? and if so how did you cash them in at the bank? I didn’t think you could do that??

I think she was saying that she gets the money from her bank and then puts them in her Disney savings account.
Disney Visa Reward dollars have to go on a special card that you use at Disney or Disney stores.

[QUOTE=dancing4disney;1039580]I think she was saying that she gets the money from her bank and then puts them in her Disney savings account.
Disney Visa Reward dollars have to go on a special card that you use at Disney or Disney stores.[/QUOTE]

Right. I have a Disney Visa where I get reward points and send for the reward cards so my kids have spending money when we take trips to Disney. I wasn’t sure if there was a new option of converting the points into actual cash/check instead of the reward card.

We use the empty plastic popcorn buckets from Disney for our change jars around the house. I keep the top on and cut a slit for the change. Really cute and keeps you in the mood!