How do you get to Universal?

I know a lot of you don’t leave Disney property when you go to WDW, but for those of you who combine Universal into your trip (and please don’t throw stones at me for asking :wink:), how do you get to Universal, assuming you’re staying at a Disney resort?

Is renting a car the best option? I hate the idea because I have a notoriously bad sense of direction and if anyone would get themselves lost, I would. But of course using Magical Express then begs the question of how we’d get to/from Universal.

Thoughts/experiences?

I would suggest a cab as the cheapest and most reliable way to get from Disney property to Uni.

I would come pick you guys up but my car only has space of one passenger…

We took a cab there once before we had Joey, but with the girlies, that might not be a good idea. Maybe you can get a cheap car service if you are planning on going just for a day? Does a Towncar service do something like that without costing an arm and as leg?

Thanks guys! :happy: I can’t seem to find a towncar service that does any Disney/Uni trips; they all seem to be between attractions and the airports or Port Canaveral.

A cab would definitely provide peace of mind…You’re right, alicefanny, I don’t think it would be a good idea if we had the girlies, but I’m thinking strictly adults-only at the moment. We’re trying to plan a family trip to Disneyland and I’m merely dreaming about this adults trip to WDW/Universal. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I’ve decided I’m going to plan a “surprise” trip for DH…:laugh:…where the money’s coming from, I don’t know, but I’ve got the itch!

Here is a link:

Tiffany Towncar Service

Oh - since it is Adults-only a cab would be the best idea. Tiffany does have a Towncar for $45 from any WDW hotel to Universal. I can’t remember how much our cab ride was. :mickey:

[QUOTE=alicefan;1045903]Here is a link:

Tiffany Towncar Service[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I had forgotten about Tiffany!

Oh - and it’s $80 roundtrip.:pinch: That’s a lot.:pirate:

By my best estimate, that’s only about $15 more than taking a taxi. :pinch: There really isn’t an option that doesn’t make me cringe! Wow.

I just looked up the Lynx bus trip from Disney to Uni…OMG! it only takes like 2 hours plus you have to walk nearly 3 miles between stops.

I know that Lynx is primarily for locals to get to work and such but really that is horrible (I have seen buses empty out on our side of town and then watched the people have to cross busy intersections and go 2 plus box to catch a connecting bus. On my side of town there seems to be little shelter either. It is sad and makes me mad all at the same time. We can do better people!).

We always use Mears for these trips. They have a base not far from POR. The shuttles can sometimes be cheaper but usually they send a large coach and of course this inevitably means you are waiting around for people who are not as prompt or good at time keeping as you may be! They will also stop at a further 2 or 3 hotels on the way to the park too. But, all that said, we find them trustworthy and 95% of the time very easy and reliable.

If you order your tickets through DestinationsInFlorida.com you get round trip with your tickets

Universal

Don’t know if they are a reliable company or not, I’ve never used them. Someone on here might know though. I know alot of different sits direct you here if you need tickets and transport. We were looking into it ourselves

How much would you have to pay for a rental car? Seriously, no matter how bad your sense of direction is you can’t mess it up. There’s a clearly marked exit from the highway (Route 4) to get off at Universal. And then it’s right there. Lots of signs pointing you into the parking garage.

If you can get a good deal on the car, go for it. Then you’r enot locked into any specific time slot either.

Definately rent a car. One of the companies has an outlet at the Hilton @ DTD and will bring the car to you and you can drop the driver off on your way to Universal. I would go economy size since Universal is right up Rt 4 and you are just looking for basic transportaion. If you are planning on being @ Univ really early pick it up the night before and drop it off and take a cab to your resort when you get back to WDW. If you want to avoid the cab take the bus from the Hilton to DTD adn the resort bus from DTD back home.

just stay at disney

Do you remember which company has the outlet at the Hilton? A stop at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter will be on DS8’s list of things to do next trip!

We’ve always used Tiffanys, even though it costs a little extra its great to have that ‘personal’ service. You ring a day or so before you want to go to Universal, they come and pick you up from your hotel lobby and take you to the park. Then you give them a call around 1 - 2 hours before your’re ready to leave and they will meet you at the same point they dropped you at. 9 times out of 10 it will be the same drive and we have only ever had an issue with them once which was immediatly sorted out and we we’re given a discount because of the inconvinience! The cars are super comfy and it just takes out all the hassle of hailing cabs or driving yourself!

[QUOTE=ddoll;1045971]How much would you have to pay for a rental car? Seriously, no matter how bad your sense of direction is you can’t mess it up. There’s a clearly marked exit from the highway (Route 4) to get off at Universal. And then it’s right there. Lots of signs pointing you into the parking garage.

If you can get a good deal on the car, go for it. Then you’r enot locked into any specific time slot either.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree renting a care would be cheaper, quicker and you won’t be time constrained either.

It was either Hertz or Avis. When I rent I go for the cheapest price since it is usually for 2 days max. Call the Hilton @ DTD.

[QUOTE=dznygrl;1045891]I know a lot of you don’t leave Disney property when you go to WDW, but for those of you who combine Universal into your trip (and please don’t throw stones at me for asking :wink:), how do you get to Universal, assuming you’re staying at a Disney resort?

Is renting a car the best option? I hate the idea because I have a notoriously bad sense of direction and if anyone would get themselves lost, I would. But of course using Magical Express then begs the question of how we’d get to/from Universal.

Thoughts/experiences?[/QUOTE]

Hi there,

Sorry I did not come accross this post earlier…

We also offer transfers between WDW and Universal.
With our towncar this round trip is $75.00 (gratuity not included).

BTW, we are a Mousebuzz sponsor…:whistling

Regards,

Gregory Nicolas.