How far to San Diego?

I’m planning a trip to DL in June. How far is DL to san diego? Can you go there for a day trip or should I book a hotel in San Diego. We want to go to sea world and the zoo. Also, I’m looking for an economy hotel close to DL for 5 people. Nothing fancy, just clean. Who has suggestions for me?

San Diego is about 1.5 hours away from DL–at least that’s how long it took me to drive to DL from San Diego. You could easily make it a day trip, but I am not sure how long you plan to spend at Sea World and the zoo. I would suggest booking a room. It’s such a beautiful city and there is lots of sights to see there–like the beaches! :happy:

yeah it’s about 1.5-2 hours (2 hours to where my family is lol, so thats all I know)
A really nice trip is taking the train from anaheim to san diego. I’ve always really enjoyed Sea World, and the zoo too (but I always seem to pick the hottest day of the year to visit the zoo and there is little to NO shade, so make sure you wear a hat and bring a water bottle)
It’s totally worth a day trip - or two though, San Digeo is SOOOO beautiful and their beaches are heaven.

oooh and everyone can guess what I’ll suggest for an economy hotel near DL…CANDY CANE INN!!! haha it is just sooo nice there. Clean, affordable, friendly, on the same block as DCA, FREE air-conditioned, privatly-owned (no sharing with the other Anaheim hotels) shuttle to and from the parks every 30 minutes! But it’s only a 10 minute walk if you don’t want to wait for the bus, continental breakfast and fluffy duvets!

It depends, of course, what the traffic is like.

I-5 can be a parking lot at times. There is a toll road to circumvent the busy traffic, if it appears.

But to drive you are looking 90-120 minutes, depending on how you drive. I would be more likely to say 2 hours minimum, plus off highway driving to the locations.

SeaWorld is neat and can be done in one day to see everything, including exhibits.

The Zoo is much larger, so if you want to do BOTH IN ONE DAY, I would either book a hotel in San Diego for the night, or plan on doing the Griswald Family Vacation tour. Stop, take two seconds to stare, then off to the next exhibit… :pirate:

Mark

I posted a reply earlier, but it’s not here :blink:

Anyway, yes, it is about an hour and a half to SD, but it really does depend on what time you go, and what day. Sunday returning to Orange County from SD can be a parking lot, and of course if you are on the road during commute times during the week, it can take a while to get out of OC, but it’s a pretty drive and an easy drive.

You could do the zoo and SD in one day, on a road trip, but as E626 mentions, the zoo is huge and you will be rushed esp if you want to get back to Anaheim at a ‘decent’ hour. If you stay in SD, the motels along ‘hotel circle’ are inexpensive and can greatly vary in quality. It has been a few years, but I have stayed at the Days Inn Hotel Circle (I tried to post the link, but it was wrong, sorry) a couple times and found it clean and comfortable. There are less expensive options here as well if you just need a place to rest your head.

At DL, I love the Candy Cane Inn. A premium room wil sleep 5 (I have had 2 adults and 3 kids and 3 adults and 2 kids and have been plenty comfortable with lots of room, with both groups), it had a fridge and microwave and is about a 7 minute walk to the DCA/DL plaza (just down the same side of the street as the hotel is adjacent to DCA). The hotel also offers a free shuttle (that is NOT shared with other properties) and we use it about half the time. A conti breakfast (cereals, bagels, fruit, juice, coffee, etc) is brought to your room in a P room, or you can have it poolside. The next smaller room may allow 5, depending on the adult/child ratio–it’s worth the call to ask. We have paid between $90 and $145 (AAA rate) for the premium room so it’s worth a look to compare to what else in offered in that price range. It’s not the cheapest in the area, but prices competatively and is really a nice little property.

Another place to price is the Anaheim HoJo. Mousesavers offers a discounted rate for this property through a link on the Mousesavers hotle info page. I have a friend that just loves it here. Also, pumouse has a large family and has stayed in different places at DL, so she should be along with her always great advise :mickey:

Last year we were staying with family in Huntington Beach and we did a day trip to San Diego with no problem. It took about an hour and a half to two hours to get to the San Diego Animal Park. I personally prefer just to make it a day trip as I need as much DL time as possible!!

I was going to suggest you spend a day or two in SD. It’s just so lovely and there’s so much to do there.

We’re East coasters, so everything over there was worth exploring to us.

I’ve driven it before and it’s not a bad drive at all, very scenic. I’d say an hour and a half tops to get to DL.

we did that drive during morning rush hour and it took us close to 3 hours…ouch! but we did manage to make it to Sea World BEFORE it opened. We stayed at the Days Inn, it was okay, the breakfast was probably to best thing. We paid 125. and I really think we were OVERCHARGED, but we had a 1 bdrm suite and it fit 6 of us very well with lots of space to still spare.

I would recommend if you plan on doing more than 1 thing in San Diego, to stay there at least 1 night. We did the Wild Animal park and Sea world. it was GREAT! the WAP had a ‘tour’ where you get on a ‘bus’ and ride around the park and they tell you about different animals.

I went to San Diego for a winterguard competition and afterwards my mom and my grandma and I explored SD for a few days. We did the zoo too! That was fun. :slight_smile: The skyway thing COMPLETELY freaked me out. But it was still fun. We drove up to Disneyland for a day after that. I think it took us about 2 hours. The drive is gorgeous. I spent the whole 2 hours just looking out the window.

I have driven this route a couple times from DL and it was right around a 2 hour trip for me as well…

I have heard time and time again that Sea World is awesome… I still have yet to go to it, but I aim to do it soon!