How is the Wave @ The Contemporary

How is the Wave.
On our last “progressive” dinner around the MK resorts, we were walking in the Contemporary and noticed The Wave. Had other plans for that nite, so we didn’t eat there, but thought it looked pretty cool.
Any comments??? We’d probably go and have appetizers at the bar.
Thoughts/Comments.
Thanks.
Frank

We have eaten at The Wave twice and both meals were very good. On one visit, the food took quite a long time to come to the table. It was the nicest meal during our April trip.

Thought it was our worst meal ever @ Disney. The food was very bland and lacking flavor. They serve very simple food that was not seasoned. We did not even have dessert, nothing appealed to us. Hope you have a better experience.

Last Septmber my family tried the Wave. We loved it. They have a wonderful chicken pot pie. The waitress told me it didn’t have a bottom crust like the frozen pot pies. I saw pictures of it before we left and figured that to be the case, but it’s good for someone who didn’t know. The thyme herbed puff pastry on top was fabulous. I don’t use a lot of salt, but with the herbs I never touched the salt and pepper shakers.

It’s true it did take a while for dinner. We were there anout 1 1/2 hours, but it was a lovely restaurant and we’re going back there next month. My father picked this restaurant for his 74th birthday dinner. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

We went there in May and like others have said the food took quite a bit of time to come to the table but the wait was well worth it. The food was delicious. We all enjoyed it very much. I had the cinnamon pork loin, Joey had the pot pie and Greg had a steak of some sort. We liked the desserts as well. It was very enjoyable.

I might go there again in December. But haven’t decided. The only reason i will go somewhere else is because there are so many other restaurants that i have never been too.

I think the bar is WONDERFUL! You can order apps and desserts there as well. The atmosphere in the bar is much better than the main dining room, in my opinion!

>>I think the bar is WONDERFUL! You can order apps and desserts there as well. The atmosphere in the bar is much better than the main dining room, in my opinion!<<

Super. We usually do our progressive dinners at the bar.
All in all, The Wave sounds like a neat place to eat and enjoy.
Frank

We’ve eaten there twice…August 2008 and April 2009. Both were good visits with yummy food but our August visit was better. We had an excellent server that night and we ended up lingering a long time over our meal and chatting with him. I have ordered the beef tenderloin there both times and it was great both times. I really enjoyed their slightly quirky dessert choices as well.

We have eaten in about 55 Disney restaurants. The Wave has to be the worst. I had London Broil and my wife had the Chicken Pot Pie. She loves chicken pot pie and found this one almost not fit to eat. The London Broil was over cooked, tough and tasteless. Now I understand that sometimes you have to give the restaurant a second chance. Not at those prices.The Contemporary had the best game room in WDW. Our grand kids grew up there. They also had a simply great steak house, 'The Concourse Steak House. We must have eaten there a half dozen times. Both the game room and the steak house were sacrificed to make a spot for the Wave. To us this move was a disaster.
To each his own.
subvetss

[QUOTE=subvetss;985633]Both the game room and the steak house were sacrificed to make a spot for the Wave. To us this move was a disaster.
To each his own.
subvetss[/QUOTE]

Technically the game room has been relocated to the 4th floor concourse into what had been the store closest to the elevators and the monorail escalators.
That’s pretty much the reason that the toy store is now smack in the middle of the concourse. Sadly, the Concourse Steakhouse was converted into the Contempo Cafe, the replacement for the food half of the Food and Fun Center.
But the arcade pretty much has all of the games that used to be in the F&F Center.
I miss the Concourse Steakhouse too, but the menu has been slowly changing to something in line with my taste at The Wave and I’m now almost ready to try it.
Almost…
By the way, the London Broil is off the menu, unless you’re referring to the marinated flank steak. That’s still on the menu.

It’s always interesting to me when a restaurant gets reviews that are so different. Especially this Chicken Pie. I’d be interested to know why one person thought it was so good and one thought it was so bad. Was it a matter of what you are use to as “chicken pie” or was it because it just wasn’t well prepared? I’m just curious.

We haven’t tried the Wave yet. Maybe next trip.

I posted that the chicken pot pie was good. If you are used to a frozen pot pie with all the veggies and chicken diced into little pieces and stuffed into a little paper dish, then you are not going to like this.

This is served in a bowl and instead of little pieces of chicken, I had a whole piece of chicken. It has fresh sliced mushrooms, fingerling potatoes, and carrots, and other veggies. The crust is a thyme puff pastry on top, no crust on the sides or bottom. It wasn’t stuffed full, it was a nice portion. If you are a big eater, then maybe the pot pie isn’t for you. It also had a lot of gravy, which I liked. It’s a different way of serving, but it was worth it.

I haven’t eaten there since last Sept. and it was only opened for about 3 months, it might be different now.

It’s always interesting for me to read reviews and opinions- it’s amazing that they can be so different. Usually, just one “bad” meal at a restaurant will keep me from going back, unless something major has changed. For example, our meal at Whispering Canyon was so awful I doubt we’ll ever go back, yet it is a favorite among many.

As for the Wave, we enjoyed both our experiences at the Wave, and have an ADR for September.

[QUOTE=leslieh;985686]It’s always interesting for me to read reviews and opinions- it’s amazing that they can be so different. Usually, just one “bad” meal at a restaurant will keep me from going back, unless something major has changed. For example, our meal at Whispering Canyon was so awful I doubt we’ll ever go back, yet it is a favorite among many.

As for the Wave, we enjoyed both our experiences at the Wave, and have an ADR for September.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it’s like The Coral Reef, you either love it or hate it. (it’s DH favorite and we eat there every time, I can truthfully say we have never had a bad meal there. Some better than others but never bad!) We usually will try a place twice and after that…:laugh: We are booked at The Wave on Sept. 27, hoping for the best!!

[QUOTE=doric;985685]I posted that the chicken pot pie was good. If you are used to a frozen pot pie with all the veggies and chicken diced into little pieces and stuffed into a little paper dish, then you are not going to like this.

This is served in a bowl and instead of little pieces of chicken, I had a whole piece of chicken. It has fresh sliced mushrooms, fingerling potatoes, and carrots, and other veggies. The crust is a thyme puff pastry on top, no crust on the sides or bottom. It wasn’t stuffed full, it was a nice portion. If you are a big eater, then maybe the pot pie isn’t for you. It also had a lot of gravy, which I liked. It’s a different way of serving, but it was worth it.

I haven’t eaten there since last Sept. and it was only opened for about 3 months, it might be different now.[/QUOTE]

OK - now my mouth is watering…that sounds delicious! (now I’d like to hear from the other side).

We LOVE the Wave!!! The lounge is amazing & our entrees did not dissapoint! The dessert we had were excellent, I like doing the little samplers. Awesome atmosphere too!

We loved the atmosphere too though my mom says she can’t look at the decor too long or it makes her a little dizzy with all the waves. LOL

I have only eaten there once, but would definitely go back. I had an excellent steak and the the dessert was better. Go for the one with the blueberries. Yummy. If you’re a beer person, I’d recommend the Orlando Brewing Co. Dry Porter.

We have an ADR at the Wave for our trip in a few days. We usually have good luck with our choices…I’ll report back after the trip.

From my understanding, after reading reviews, this is considered a “Healthy” restaurant, so that may be why some have mentioned the food as “bland”.

Wish ate here last year and liked it!

Iam going to give it a try this year! :happy: