How Many Days?

It looks like we will be returning to our favorite place next year with two other families. We will be there seven days and the whole group agreed that I should be in charge of planning the trip. One problem my DW has accused me of is planning too many days in the parks and not enough down time during our vacation. (guilty as charged :blush:)

I was just wondering how many days do you actually spend in the parks during your trip. From some TR I’ve read it seems like four days or more. Just curious.

When we go, we spend every day in the parks. We are not the lay around type, so to the parks it is. Depending the on the time of year, crowd levels, etc. determines the pace.

When we go for 7 days, we schedulae 3 or 4 days in the parks. We like our down time too. The problem with us is my kids are wiped out by the end of the week and going to parks more than that makes them cranky. We try and keep a good balance of what we spen our time doing. eating at resaurants is something else we put time into. Not for all week but the ones we really like.

We are the “hit the ground running and never stop” type of family so we spend each and every day in the parks…except for perhaps 1/2 of a day at DTD—out of a week long trip. We never use the pools or recreation…although two trips ago we did meet friends for mini golf late one night…

Everyone has their own method…we just find that if we plan to spend every day all day long in the parks, there is no pressure to do this and do that…we have lefty of time…even at the busiest peak times…to do all we want to do…

I spend at least a half a day in the parks for my entire trip. Make your rest days a day you sleep in and play in the pool and they go to the world showcase at night. The price per day is so ridiculously cheap at that point, it doesn’t even matter.

We go everyday, but we don’t necessarily go the entire day. Sleep in a couple of mornings and go back to your resort early a couple of other evenings and you won’t wear everyone out!

Now that we do not have the kids with us, some days we hit the road early and run for the whole day, even if it is a late might MK closing. And others we get to the gate around 11-12:00 and get back to the resort between 3-4:00 pm. It all depends.

With a group that big you are going to have so many different thoughts I would probably make a schedule for yourself and let everyone know what you want to do and if they want to join in you would welcome them. You might set up 2-3 special dinners for everyone to join in to share what everyone has done and maybe a whole gang mini golf night. Maybe a trip to the Boardwalk for the games, performers adn ice cream. Just thoughts.

I have never travelled with a gang that big. I’ll experience it this fall when we hit the world with 3 other couples for Food & Wine Fest. And I know Pam and I will be tasked to set a loose schedule. Yikes!

How long is your trip?

[QUOTE=smallworld;1111666]We are the “hit the ground running and never stop” type of family so we spend each and every day in the parks…except for perhaps 1/2 of a day at DTD—out of a week long trip. We never use the pools or recreation…although two trips ago we did meet friends for mini golf late one night…

Everyone has their own method…we just find that if we plan to spend every day all day long in the parks, there is no pressure to do this and do that…we have lefty of time…even at the busiest peak times…to do all we want to do…[/QUOTE]

Wow, true commando style!

We go for a long trip, usually 7-8 nights. We drive down the first day and just crash that night. We hit the parks early in the mornings, and then go as long as we want. Most days it is all day, but not always. I like to get there early, and then not have to stress about getting everything in. We are leisurely when we are there though!

We spend every day at the parks. 2 or 3 hours in this park then move to another park and play there for a few hours. Then lots of time spent on having fun at the resort, or resort hopping, bar hopping, visiting DTD. We go for 10 days and try to make this a vacation, not a crazy, run to the rides trip.

Find out if your party is get up and go or if they are sleep late kind of crowd, it might make a difference in the type of trip you plan.

That’s true, the more days you go to the parks the cheaper the price. I will use that as a bargaining chip. :happy:

The last few trips have just been DH and myself, We usually go 7 to 10 days (Jan, Feb, Oct or Early Dec. park hours are shorter), and spend everyday in the park. We start with breakfast around 9:30 somedays we stay for fireworks other days we’ll have dinner at one of the hotels at 7:30 and when we finish dinner go back to the hotel or DTD. Most nights were back at the hotel between 9 and 10. We haven’t seen rope drop in years. We take a nice leasurely pace around the parks see loads of shows, parades and get on all the rides we like.

Well…I probably should clarify my post…we don’t do the rope drop…sometimes we will get up very early but most of the time we get to a specific park around 9 or so…if it gets too crowded, we will leave and switch over to another park…but we never go back to our hotel during the day…and it’s usually just the two of us adults now so…definitely can make a difference if you are with a big group of people I think.

We have water parks we can use here in the area, and we have a neighborhood pool that we don’t ever use…so pools and such don’t interest us…

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1111675]Now that we do not have the kids with us, some days we hit the road early and run for the whole day, even if it is a late might MK closing. And others we get to the gate around 11-12:00 and get back to the resort between 3-4:00 pm. It all depends.

With a group that big you are going to have so many different thoughts I would probably make a schedule for yourself and let everyone know what you want to do and if they want to join in you would welcome them. You might set up 2-3 special dinners for everyone to join in to share what everyone has done and maybe a whole gang mini golf night. Maybe a trip to the Boardwalk for the games, performers adn ice cream. Just thoughts.

I have never travelled with a gang that big. I’ll experience it this fall when we hit the world with 3 other couples for Food & Wine Fest. And I know Pam and I will be tasked to set a loose schedule. Yikes![/QUOTE]

Those are some good ideas. We took a weekend trip to Williamsburg, VA and decided to take a longer vacation together. I asked some basic questions about their preferences and wrote a quick itinerary to see what they thought, they were shocked I came up with it that quick. LOL But they felt it was too much time in the parks. I wrote a second one and they were much more confortable with it; it was a very balanced itenerary with time at the parks, pool and International Drive. I don’t think they could handle a lot of time in the parks, maybe four days tops but we will need to talk a lot more before I’m comfortable with planning the trip. They both have been to WDW before but not to the extent of my family; character dining, resorts and other things would be completely new for them.

You’ll be there for 7 days, but we have the advantage of being a 5 hr drive away right dowm I-95 so we go for 9-10 days, Friday through the next Saturday or Sunday with PH tix. That leaves plenty of time to eventually hit what we want. Our basic plan is to alot 2 days per park and the extra 2 are for hitting what we want to again. And we are one of those odd couples who can make AK last all day plus. It is one of our favorites.

Have they given any input of what their must do attractions are?

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1111687]You’ll be there for 7 days, but we have the advantage of being a 5 hr drive away right dowm I-95 so we go for 9-10 days, Friday through the next Saturday or Sunday with PH tix. That leaves plenty of time to eventually hit what we want. Our basic plan is to alot 2 days per park and the extra 2 are for hitting what we want to again. And we are one of those odd couples who can make AK last all day plus. It is one of our favorites.

Have they given any input of what their must do attractions are?[/QUOTE]

I love 10+ days at WDW; you have so much time to do whatever you want at a leisurely pace.

No, not much feedback at all and I have a feeling they wouldn’t know other than the main attractions of MK.

We base it on the number of nights since we go home the last morning. I would always do what we do.

For 7 nights, 8 days
MK
Epcot
Day Off
HS
AK
Day Off
Epcot
MK

For 6 days, 7 nights
MK
Ep
HS
Off
AK
MK

I would be so stressed out planning for so many people and worrying about making so many people happy.

I also get super-antsy if a rope-drop happens without me on a a day I’ve planned to go to a park!