How old do the kids have to be to dine alone

DD will be 15 next trip and the three kids are really well-behaved (most of the time) and responsible. I was wondering if there is a way to have the kiddies do a dinner at one restaurant while DH and I have dinner at another or if they need to be much older. We were thinking we’d like to have dinner in Mexico on our next trip and the two youngest would prefer not to. I don’t even know if I’d be comfortable doing that or not, but I thought I would ask what the rules are here and then decide whether we really feel comfortable with it closer to the trip.

I don’t see why not. I know there is an age where kids need to accompanied by an adult if they are under 10 (I think). I went on school trips to WDW starting in the 6th grade (12 yrs old) without constant adult supervision.

… 27

That’s true. I guess I didn’t even think about it like that. Kids go to the amusement park in our state without adults all the time. I think WDW just seems so big and so far away that it feels different to me. Either that or I’m having a hard time letting go. :crying: It seems like they should still be little kids to me.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

When my DD was in high school, the girl’s varsity softball team had their spring training in ESPNWWOS. We stayed on Disney property, and on the time the girls weren’t playing softball they went to the parks. The parents went to the parks also but the girls were on their own in the parks. I know different groups of girls ate at different restaurants without the parents. The girls’ ages ran from 15 - 18. We never had any complaints from the girls about being turned away from anywhere. I would say as long as they are well behaved they probably won’t have a problem.

When I was there in April with my nieces (13 & 14) were both given room keys with charging privileges, both used their cards at various locations without an adult near them, and never were they given a hard time about charging items by a CM.

I hope this eases your mind.

I think the key here is that the 15 yr old will be the “adult” for the younger children, am I correct? There may be an issue with there not being an adult with the younger kids, not that teens would be unwelcome in a restaurant by themselves.

Good question. If I had to guess for my own family, I would send them to a CS instead of a sit down to avoid them being embarassed.

I called on this when our kids went on a Fine Arts trip a couple of years ago when they were only 14 years old. They were able to make reservations on their own at 3 different restaurants…Ohana’s, Chef MIckey’s and the German Restaurant I think. Didn’t have any problems! Just make sure they have a source of payment!

Legally… :pirate:

Anyone under the age of 18 is unable to enter into a contract. So yes, the kids can show up at a restaurant, but any enforcement of a contract would require the authorization of an adult. THAT being said, I suggest that as long as you speak with a manager before hand, 15 is more than old enough. The key is whether the younger siblings are, in fact, old enough to be cared for in her company. I don’t think there are any hard or fast rules. But as long as the ages are within five years and they’re well behaved, I suspect it would be okay with management.

Last Christmas, we separated from the 6 kids for a while. They went throughout the park while we went for dinner. Ages - 17, 16, 15, 15, 12, and 9. The 17 took charge of the 9 year old, the two 15’s stuck together, and the 16 and 12 were the only girls…who naturally stuck together and kept an eye on the boys…:laugh:

My kids 16,15 & 13 have had dinner out on their own. My daughter and her friends have gone to restaurants several times. They pay for everything on their own.
If you are using the dining plan, you might just want the restaurant to know that your daughter has permission to pay using her room key…etc.

My sister and I started doing a bit of our own thing when we were 16 and 14. We had split up from our parents in the parks before, but this is when I remember us actually going into the parks by ourselves and dining by ourselves.