How to deal with family abandonment?

Hello fellow Disney nuts, since 2000, our family of 5 boys has been to Disney about 4-5 times a year. Since we live in Jacksonville just 2 hours away, and are Fl residents, it’s always been a good time.
Now, my 4 older sons and wife are apperntly Disneyed out. I do not understand this feeling they’re having, and never knew of such a thing. I’m 42 and love everything Disney from riding the Monorail to Walt’s idea of family unity and the goodness that overcomes folk attending the parks and resorts.
My 11 year old still wants to go to. But it’s just us.
My wife says it’s too expensive, but I advised to work overtime for passes and occasional trips…Still, no go.
So what’s a person to do when the family abandons you?
My Disneyness just does not go away!
If I can’t get to the resort and parks, then how do I cope? Ideas?
I’m sure many would agree that there’s nothing like being on Disney property, it truly is the happiest place on Earth. When I drive under that sign off I-4, and am on the property, every problem slides off me. Bills, work, everything just disappears. I need this once in a while. How do I live without it?
Thanks for all replies

I don’t think you need to live without it. Have a special, one on one trip with your 11 year old to Disney, like a long weekend. You can then have other one on one trips with your other children to places they want to go. It’s a win/win. You get to go to Disney, and have some special time with each individual kid!

What kind of trips do you do? Just for the day, long weekend, etc. Maybe they are tired of doing the drive for the same old same old. There are people who go to disney for a week and never set foot in the parks. We find more and more, we enjoy just being there and not so much running for this or that ride.

1. Disney Cruise
  2. As mentioned, take 1 on 1 with your child trip
  3. Talk wife into romantic weekend getaway with resort, dining, and shopping with no parks

Beth, my 11 year old is truly Disnyfied, so yes, it would be a great time, it would be just a day trip unfortunately.
Jo-Jo, it’s not about running for rides haha, it’s the togetherness of us all in that perfect (To me) family environment. We never stay less than a long weekend. Family wants a trip to Tennessee, and me…Not so much.

We have done Disney Cruises and me n the wifey like F&W.
I like the answers though, keep em coming, it’s helpful.
Btw, looking at pics and videos of the resorts, parks do not help! haha!

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but perhaps hold off on going so often? Plan to go in a year or even two…and let everyone help plan when and where you stay…just a thought.

Maybe you have been so often that the excitement has gone for the older ones.

May I ask, why Tennessee, and where? I’m curious, because while I have family there, and I enjoy the place, it isn’t somewhere I’d make a point of visiting if I wasn’t seeing family. While I’m all in favor of non-Disney vacationing, I’m afraid your crew may end up being disappointed.

I agree with letting some time go; let the new attractions open; and then set the hook.

Sigh…I don’t think I can be cured. I really wasn’t looking for a solution to make the family happy about going. Just trying to find a way for myself to realize that the family is different than me. I’d take my grand daughter (oldest step son is 25) at 5, but her parents want to take her first, and well, to be honest, they are so lazy they will never take her. I know, I’ve been asking for 3 years.
That would be a great thing if I could get it to happen, and it would be totally new for me since I took five boys, bringing her would open my eyes to the Princess world I never got in to.
Tennessee would involve a cabin and the tourist stuff. Ruby Falls, Rock City, etc.

[QUOTE=yohoho;1138953]Sigh…I don’t think I can be cured. I really wasn’t looking for a solution to make the family happy about going. Just trying to find a way for myself to realize that the family is different than me. I’d take my grand daughter (oldest step son is 25) at 5, but her parents want to take her first, and well, to be honest, they are so lazy they will never take her. I know, I’ve been asking for 3 years.
That would be a great thing if I could get it to happen, and it would be totally new for me since I took five boys, bringing her would open my eyes to the Princess world I never got in to.
Tennessee would involve a cabin and the tourist stuff. Ruby Falls, Rock City, etc.[/QUOTE]

…if it makes you feel any better…I only have my daughter to go with now since my parents have passed. My husband says he has been enough. My grown daughter is busy and can only go during teacher holidays…my only other recourse is to go alone if I want to go more often then every couple of years…

In my family I have me(Disney addict),one of my sons and 2 daughters who like to go. My DH could care less and my oldest son, well, I think us going every year was enoug for him. he does not care for disney at all:ohmy::ohmy:. I really wish my whole family loved goin as much as the rest of us to keep the whole “family atmospher thing” going. Thats why I go. Its all aout family. I ave gone for 1 week and never stepped foot in a park. We did other Disney things like DTD, Hoop De Doo, Cirque De Solie,etc. and had a blast. Its all about being together for me and when half my family does not even like it, it am disappointed. I can’t even think about non Disney vacations, is there even such a thing??? I just hope as my kids who still like Disney grows older, they won’t lose their Disney love. I totally get what you are saying!!!

If I were you I’d let them know a month in advance that you and your son were going and anyone else is welcome to join( with of course a lil notice for booking purposes). Then you and your son, and whoever else joins in go have the greatest time. Take lots of pics, talk about all the new things you experienced and the awesome food you tried. Then maybe your next trip the rest of the family won’t be so hesitant to join in the fun.

Also an idea for the granddaughter is to buy tickets for her and her parents as a Christmas gift with the stipulation that you and your son will be joining them, when they decide to go. Its a win win, you get to be there and its an awesome present. (Due to the cost it may take you until next Christmas to save for it.)

“Sell the house. Sell the car. Sell the kids…” :pirate:

Ha, good to know there’s another one out there like me:laugh:. It is all about family togetherness, but my wife says we can have that anywhere, and I just blank stare at her. Disney IS family! Everything there is family. It’s not the same to be huddled in a regular hotel room somewhere. There is actual magic that happens when we pass under the WDW sign off I-4.

I will take my son if no one wants to go. Maybe Ill just get 2 season passes. He has always been a Disney kid, even did a commercial. So proud of him.

[QUOTE=christina101902;1138962]If I were you I’d let them know a month in advance that you and your son were going and anyone else is welcome to join( with of course a lil notice for booking purposes). Then you and your son, and whoever else joins in go have the greatest time. Take lots of pics, talk about all the new things you experienced and the awesome food you tried. Then maybe your next trip the rest of the family won’t be so hesitant to join in the fun.

Also an idea for the granddaughter is to buy tickets for her and her parents as a Christmas gift with the stipulation that you and your son will be joining them, when they decide to go. Its a win win, you get to be there and its an awesome present. (Due to the cost it may take you until next Christmas to save for it.)[/QUOTE]

Good idea! Everyone is always invited, and they know it. I know for a fact that when they get there, their inner kid comes out, but it’s the struggle to get them to even think of it. Ugh!

About the tickets. There is a rift in the family from the gd’s mother. So a day there would not be so enjoyable, much less a few days. It just bothers me that this little girl would be in princess heaven, but she’s not allowed to go.

Yes 626, I have considered the house and car, the boys not so much. I could sell the wife, I know she’s in demand on the Pirates of the Carribbean-“We want the redhead!”

But once again, it’s not money related. If they said they’d go, I’d work the overtime to make it happen :mickey:
I just wanna buy passes again! It makes me nice to others! :pirate:

I see they offer an Epcot after 4:00 pass. Heck, I’d even take an AK-“During the hottest part of the day” pass, haha!

What he said. :laugh: