How to surprise DD's?!

So, for our trip in October, DH and I decided we want to surprise our DD’s (6 yrs old and 2 yrs old) instead of telling them beforehand.
DH and I just can’t decide whether we should tell them the night before (and how to tell them) or if we should wait until we are in the car on our way?
Anyone have any suggestions on how to surprise them, and when you think we should? :wub:

I like the idea of telling them in the airport prior to boarding. Or in Orlando when they see the decorations on the tram.

Boss,
Before I clicked on the thread, I saw your name as the person who replied and thought “oh, this should be interesting…” lol
I’m shocked you were so “clean” and “non-sarcastic” :laugh:

I think I’d let the six-year-old figure it out as you went along!

Telling them the night before just sounds like a recipe for a sleepless night.

We went when ours were 6, 3 & 2 as a surprise b’day for DD6 turning 7. We told them we were taking a weekend trip to a hotel and they were ok with that since we used to do that often while living in SC. Needless to say they realized we were going to WDW as we drove under the arch. They went nuts at that point :laugh:

[QUOTE=NJMommy;1070752]Boss,
Before I clicked on the thread, I saw your name as the person who replied and thought “oh, this should be interesting…” lol
I’m shocked you were so “clean” and “non-sarcastic” :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Me? Sarcastic? ME?

hahahaha :laugh: not you!!

[QUOTE=Andrea;1070759]

Telling them the night before just sounds like a recipe for a sleepless night.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the exact same thing! :laugh:
I’d tell them either the morning of, or let them take guesses on the way.

We surprised DD when she was 5 (before DS came along) we too just said we were going to a hotel and as we drove under the arch she looked up and just started screaming! It was priceless. She was so excited, she started crying and saying thank you a million times. She is now 10 and still remembers the surprise. Now we need another surprise trip to surprise DS.

I’m really not worried about a sleepless night, my girls have always been the kind that are asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow, even if there is something big going on the next day. :happy:

It seems like most people think we should just start a journey, and let them figure it out. I think that is what DH is leaning towards also. :happy:

I would get them something little… like a stuffed animal, etc from the Disney store. Add a note that says because you have been so good, I want you to come see me at WDW-right now! Love, their favorite character.
I did this with my kids, and they just knew that Mickey had personally delivered those stuffed animals themselves… Tell them that morning, and throw the stuff in the car. It will be so much fun!

[QUOTE=hanwill;1070791]I would get them something little… like a stuffed animal, etc from the Disney store. Add a note that says because you have been so good, I want you to come see me at WDW-right now! Love, their favorite character.
I did this with my kids, and they just knew that Mickey had personally delivered those stuffed animals themselves… Tell them that morning, and throw the stuff in the car. It will be so much fun![/QUOTE]

i love that idea!
i wish my parents surprised me!!
i think you should tell them the day of, or on the way or something!!

I surprised them in alot of different ways but the best was when I woke them up(2 oldest) one morning and told them we were going to take a airplane ride and they were young enough to just think that was fun. They weren’t old enough to read yet so that mde it even easier so upon landing in MCO the surprise was still going on. We rented a car and drove to the hotel(All-Star Sports) and even then you know if you have kids a cool swimming pool is fun enough. The surprise wasn’t known until we drove the next morning and the look on their faces as we towards and under the welcome sign was amazing.

OMG this all sounds like so much fun BUT I could never hold that in! LOL! I am worse than the kids! HAve fun…love the ideas!

Well, this is opposing what others have said, but I think you should tell them the night before or the morning of before you go anywhere.

The airport/way down there is a hit or miss. If they think they are going someplace exciting or even not that exciting, then the change of plans might send them into shock rather than excitement. From the youtube videos, it seems that parents who tell their children where they are going while they are still at home have better results (better=more screaming) than those who tell their children at a rest stop or the airport.

If you want to do the night before, when you or your husband are bathing them/getting them ready for bed, the other could slip in their room and place a stuffed Mickey Mouse on their bed with a note that says they are going to Disney World…

Or if you want to do the morning, you could sneak in while they are sleeping and decorate their room… you could fill it with balloons and maybe some Disney toys.

I recommend that you look at youtube videos for ideas of what to do/what not to do. Your children may be young enough that going to the airport might not really mean anything to them (especially DD2)… You might try and attempt the surprise-on-the-way while they are still young enough for it to work. :happy:

I Know the first time we went and we did not tell the girls at all we drove thru the night and was able to drive on property into the pop parking lot all before they knew we where there. it was priceless I actually somewhere have it on video. I would if you can keep it up until you get read to board bus from the airport to Disney and I would pop out oh some lanyard with pins on it and or perhaps some mickey ears for them. Or I would wake them up in the morning with a mickey style breakfast with some Disney items on the table for them and say eat up we have a magical day ahead.

How are you getting there? Driving or flying?

We always drive down, we are 6 and a half hours away. My daughter is 8 and has been 5 times already. We told her this year we might go for Christmas, but we are just not going to Disney in June. We gave her the excuses of too hot, too crowded, too everything. She literally was sooooo bummed it was silly. She has been upset and cried more than once. So, we are really playing it off around here; beach beach beach. She doesn’t recognize the drive either way as the beach is only an hour east of Orlando so we just plan to drive down like normal and have my wife say “Wow, we went the wrong way” when we drive under the entrance. We are 100% going to videotape it. She will be so excited.

We figure we only have one or two more years before she just gets a little more interested in her friends or fun rather than Disney and Mom and Dad so we are doing what we can to make the most of that time. We are so excited we get to surprise her this year. Every night I sit down with her and try to show her pix of the beach condo or beach videos from past trips. Inevitably she always says “What is new with Disney?”. She is gonna be soooo shocked! :slight_smile:

When our girls were 6 & 2, we surprised them. DH fed them dinner at 4 and put them to bed around 6, acting as if was regular bedtime. The oldest never even looked at the clock to question it. We woke the 6 year old up at 3am to tell her. Videotaping her wake up call, she was crabby and didn’t believe us for a few minutes then got super excited. The video is priceless. Definitely worth keeping mum all that time. I secretly packed after they went to bed each night for about a week.

This past October we did it again. They were 7 & 4 this time. They knew we were going but thought it was one day later. We got them into bed early, telling them we needed to get an early start on packing the next day. They bought it.

I like doing it this way because it is so exciting for them and they make sure to get a good nights sleep.

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1070878]How are you getting there? Driving or flying?

We always drive down, we are 6 and a half hours away. My daughter is 8 and has been 5 times already. We told her this year we might go for Christmas, but we are just not going to Disney in June. We gave her the excuses of too hot, too crowded, too everything. She literally was sooooo bummed it was silly. She has been upset and cried more than once. So, we are really playing it off around here; beach beach beach. She doesn’t recognize the drive either way as the beach is only an hour east of Orlando so we just plan to drive down like normal and have my wife say “Wow, we went the wrong way” when we drive under the entrance. We are 100% going to videotape it. She will be so excited.

We figure we only have one or two more years before she just gets a little more interested in her friends or fun rather than Disney and Mom and Dad so we are doing what we can to make the most of that time. We are so excited we get to surprise her this year. Every night I sit down with her and try to show her pix of the beach condo or beach videos from past trips. Inevitably she always says “What is new with Disney?”. She is gonna be soooo shocked! :)[/QUOTE]

We’re not positive yet which way we’re going…sometimes we fly and sometimes we drive (if the flights are ridiculous for the time we go). My oldest DD just turned 6 and has been 7 times, she has always been once a year, sometimes twice a year (except the year our youngest DD was born…we didn’t get to Disney that year). We have been telling oldest DD that we don’t think we’re going to be able to go to Disney this year, and have told her a few different reasons. So, she isn’t expecting to go this year, but does still ask about it periodically ofcourse. We have always told her as soon as we book our trip and then we do a countdown with her, but this year we really think we want to make it a surprise for her, and our younger DD.
If we drive, we usually stop overnight in GA, so maybe we will tell them when we wake up that morning at the hotel. If we fly, then maybe we will just let her figure it out when she reads the “Orlando” sign while waiting for the plane. haha