How would you have responded

to the following remark by an acquaintance?

Scene: Walmart, looking at Disney stuff

Story unfolds . . . said acquaintance approaches to say hi. Notices I’m looking at some Disney games and stuff. Asks if I’m buying for anyone specific. I said “No. I’m just an avid Disney fan.” Acquaintance says, “Have you ever been to Disneyland or Disney World?” I said, “We’ve been to Disney World several times! It’s one of our favorite vacations!!” Before I could ask if acquaintance has been to either, he says, “Oh crap, another brain-washed fool sucked in by capitalism.” :blink::huh::huh::huh:???

I looked at him like he just stepped off another planet. Asked if he’d ever been to either. (Yes, in his “young and foolish days”, whatever that means.) I brilliantly responded “Geez, I’m sorry you feel that way.” :pinch: (I am soooo not good at quick thinking!!! :ph34r:) End of conversation. He walked away and I stood there wondering what just happened! Total stranger standing nearby just looked at me, shook her head, and said, “That is one strange dude.” :pinch:

Haha I wouldn’t worry to much about it. We have a very close friend who hates Disney and everything it stands for. Whenever we go he ALWAYS makes some stupid comment that we just ignore. That’s him and how he feels. It doesn’t effect us or our good time.
It is a weird thing to say to someone you don’t know very well though.

Yeah, it was just bizarre. Hadn’t seen this person in about a year when I worked with his child for a short time. I know his GF better than I know him. I would have never predicted a comment like that coming out of his mouth! I almost started laughing when he said it because I really thought he was making a joke. But his body language said he wasn’t kidding. Too weird.

[QUOTE=smee57;908745]to
I looked at him like he just stepped off another planet. Asked if he’d ever been to either. (Yes, in his “young and foolish days”, whatever that means.) I brilliantly responded “Geez, I’m sorry you feel that way.” :pinch: (I am soooo not good at quick thinking!!! :ph34r:) End of conversation. He walked away and I stood there wondering what just happened! Total stranger standing nearby just looked at me, shook her head, and said, “That is one strange dude.” :pinch:[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think you handled the situation just fine. :happy:

And if you need confirmation, a total stranger making such a comment pretty much validates your earlier reaction… :pirate:

We have friends that are the same way. But then were also converted a few to our way of thinking. WDW is the best place in the world to unwind.

I may have said “Thats rich coming from a guy shopping in Wal mart!!” kettle and pot spring to mind!!!

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;908755]Actually, I think you handled the situation just fine. :happy:

And if you need confirmation, a total stranger making such a comment pretty much validates your earlier reaction… :pirate:[/QUOTE]

I agree, however I’m not so sure I could have held back the laugh. His loss, our gain.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

We have a friend just like that - he calls it “The Evil Empire” and has mocked me for years. He just got engaged…guess where his fiancee wants to go on their honeymoon?

By the way when he starts commenting, I just say “I’ll pray for you” and ignore him.

I agree with the total stranger!

[QUOTE=llama;908771]

By the way when he starts commenting, I just say “I’ll pray for you” and ignore him.[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

[QUOTE=smee57;908745]

Before I could ask if acquaintance has been to either, he says, “Oh crap, another brain-washed fool sucked in by capitalism.” :blink::huh::huh::huh:???

…[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The fact that your strange acquaintance would say that you were “another brain-washed fool sucked in by capitalism” speaks mountains to their judgement.

Sounds like my DBIL. He hates Disney and usually makes at least one rat comment each time we’re together. He took his now 16 year old about 10 years ago and said he hated everything about his trip so they just quit going to the parks and stayed at their hotel. Oh well, one less person in front of me in line.

My first instinct when I read that was the same as Dixie, I think I would have snapped back with a comment about him being in WAL-MART of all places. :laugh: Don’t worry about it, there is a minority of people like him out there you’re bound to come across one sooner or later.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sums it all up rather nicely, I’d say.

I think I’d have done the same thing, Smee, and just ended the conversation as you did. Situations like that tend to meet the “pig” test: “Never try to teach a pig to sing. You will waste your time, and you will annoy the pig.” :blush:

[QUOTE=Voldemort;908793]:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sums it all up rather nicely, I’d say.

I think I’d have done the same thing, Smee, and just ended the conversation as you did. Situations like that tend to meet the “pig” test: “Never try to teach a pig to sing. You will waste your time, and you will annoy the pig.” :blush:[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh: A pig . . . :laugh::laugh::laugh: Perfect image! :happy:

ROFL!
How about…
“Oh my gosh, I am SO thankful that you don’t care for Disney-
I am really glad to see there is one less jack-“rabbit” soaking up the discounts (and to quote DisneyTeacher) and one less complaining in line in front of me! So many people are getting sucked into the magic these days it is making my vacations absolute nightmares- have a great day, nice seeing you again”.

You can’t get past Disney being a corporate giant- and there are plenty of issues that come with that. But, I try to look past that and value the time my family has together even if it is a pretend happy place!

Zoey

Well that just leaves more Disney for me then. :laugh:

“sad little man… sad sad sad little man. Im very sorry for you that your parents never took you , encouraged magic in your heart and told you that there was no such thing as pixies… sad sad little man…”

That’s a good shot. :cool: Much more polite then something this Jersey Boy would have said :laugh: