Hurricanes and Disneyworld

So we leave in less than three weeks and hurricanes are lined up in the Atlantic so I’m wondering if anyone has braved a bad storm or worse in DW?

Did you lose power? Can you stay in your room or do they evacuate?

I figure they must have a good plan as they hit Florida frequently I just want to know what to expect.

It depends on the storm. I was there in 2001 (I think it was 2001) when a hurricane was SUPPOSED to cross over Central Florida & they sent out these little sheets with updated park times, where to go for information, schedule interuptions, etc. It turned out to be just a tropical storm & nothing was too badly effected. I don’t even remember a park closing at all.

Last summer in August I was there for another Tropical Storm, which was never suspected to make landfall as a hurricane & they also sent out an “inclement weather” bulletin. None of the parks ever closed & I don’t even remember any park times being effected, the parks were EMPTY! I loved it. haha

I know we didn’t lose power in either storm but I think Disney has some pretty good backup generators.

If there was a major hurricane to cross over that section of Florida, like god forbid a Cat.2-5 or something I am SURE there would be more serious warnings & evacuations.

It all depends on the strength & the path I am sure.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;985993]It depends on the storm. I was there in 2001 (I think it was 2001) when a hurricane was SUPPOSED to cross over Central Florida & they sent out these little sheets with updated park times, where to go for information, schedule interuptions, etc. It turned out to be just a tropical storm & nothing was too badly effected. I don’t even remember a park closing at all.

Last summer in August I was there for another Tropical Storm, which was never suspected to make landfall as a hurricane & they also sent out an “inclement weather” bulletin. None of the parks ever closed & I don’t even remember any park times being effected, the parks were EMPTY! I loved it. haha

[I]I know we didn’t lose power in either storm but I think Disney has some pretty good backup generators.

If there was a major hurricane to cross over that section of Florida, like god forbid a Cat.2-5 or something I am SURE there would be more serious warnings & evacuations.

It all depends on the strength & the path I am sure.[/[/I]QUOTE]

Having lived in Typhoon ally before as well as 2 SE coastal states that’s some good advice Wish.
However, there are a couple of things i’d add to your packing list if you travel south during Hurricane season:

1. x-tra Cash. When storms hit sometimes if power does go certain items tend to be cash-n-carry.
  2. Flashlight/batteries. That should always be a given anyway.
  3. A Boat:laugh:

j/k on 3

My DW and I are going in about 3 weeks as well and we are crossing our fingers that no hurricanes hit the state of Florida that week. :ohmy:

They close the parks. They will send out flyers advising you to stay in your hotel rooms. Depending on the circumstances they will waive cancellation penalities

If you are staying at Ft Wilderness they will try to find you places in the hotels, but worse case you may be place in the conference centers.

Also many of the restaurants may not be open even at the hotels. I would recommend you keep an eye out and if it looks like one may heading our way, by some snacks and bottled water

Wow…I didn’t even think about hurricane season when I made our plans for Labor Day weekend…where was my head??? In the clouds???

WDW is pretty far inland, so they don’t typically get hit with a full blown hurricane. But when they do, they will definitely take care of you. They have even compensated guests for lost park days.

Thanks, ddoll! Being a resident of ATL, I should know better…even though we don’t get hit hard or often with hurricanes, we still keep an eye on them…I lived through Opal, and I don’t want to do that again.
You’re right, though, about WDW being inland…chances are, the most we would get would be a hard rain…even under an umbrella, Disney is still the happiest place on earth!

Well, I don’t think we have much to worry about on land, but we also have a three day cruise. Any thoughts on that? Worst case I guess we spend three more days in DW. I can live with that!

We were at WDW in September 2004 when Hurricane Jeanne went through. We came back to our room at CS the evening before the storm hit and there was a note in our room stating that they would be taping all the key slots closed and not to remove the tape, also we needed to have enough food to last us the entire following day as we would be expected to camp out until the Hurricane passed. We were also provided a frig at not extra cost (this was prior to them being standard in the Mods). We prepared as instructed and made it through with no problem. The next morning, we watched the park channels to see if anything would be open and to our surprise everything was up and running. We were quite impressed…there was not a leaf or twig on any sidewalk. The clean up crew must of been out there as soon as the threat was over. The parks were also VERY empty due to the fact that many people decided to check out early and head home. We were told that WDW was one of the safest places to be during a Hurricane, their building standards far surpass what is needed for Hurricane type weather. If you’re staying in the Deluxe resorts they also provided entertainment for the children.

First the cruise:
Ships are movable. Ships are mobile. In the event of a storm, they will sail somewhere else.
In 2000 we were scheduled for an Eastern Caribbean cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship. When we checked in we were informed that our entire itinerary had been changed and we were going to the western Caribbean. We weren’t happy about it, we’d already done all those ports, but we had no choice. When we got to Cozumel, there were so many ships in port that day, it was silly. All of the cruises from all of the lines were rerouted.
We were in WDW the week that Wilma came through. The day the storm hit, we were told to stay in our rooms at the Poly and to use common sense if we were going to the main building to eat. There were special teams of CMs at the hotel who came in hours before the storm hit so that guests’ needs could be taken care of. Transport was closed down, all the parks were closed.
I’m a little hazy about how quickly things reopened. Wilma didn’t do much in Orlando, but back home in Broward County, it did real damage and we were worried about what we’d find when we finally got home a few days later. Anyway, I think they were able to open MK by late afternoon and by Tuesday all the parks were reopened.
Then again, Wilma’s eye missed WDW by about 160 miles. What WDW experienced was a low end tropical storm, if even that.
And then the temperature dropped like a rock! There was a cold front in back of Wilma, that’s probably what kept it well to the south. It got so cold that we had to buy heavy jackets and I’m just lucky I had a pair of jeans. Who expects 45 degree weather in Florida in October?!

That was 2004. Jeanne was the third hurricane to hit WDW that year. The others being Charley and Frances.
Charley was the worst. It was still something between a Cat 2 and Cat 3 when it roared right over WDW. In fact, the eye was almost on top of WDW.
And Frances didn’t help matters. Plus, Frances and Jeanne we on parallel tracks about 25 miles apart.

( I see you edited while I was writing, so I had to edit my own post)

Correction: Charley’s eye tracked about 5-8 miles east of WDW.

I think that cold front was the best part of living in S. FL during Wilma!! It was so nice to be without power and be chilly!!

I can agree that once we got home to no power, it was pretty nice to have cooler weather. Nothing worse than opening all your windows when it’s 95 degrees and 95 % humidity and you don’t even have a fan. It was just really really bad being totally unprepared for Florida winter cold in October and having to buy sweatshirts and jackets that you never planned on.
Like I said, it was good I had a pair of jeans otherwise, I’d have been force to wear my tuxedo pants all the time. (This was the weekend of my surprise vow renewal)

We were there during Hurricane Emily - although it was just a tropical storm around WDW (my dd Emily was very disappointed). At that time, nothing closed. It was business as usual, although the rain was horrendous! We just opted to stay at our resort. We were at POR that time. It was kind of fun - everyone was gathered in the bars and foodcourt and all around the lobby and games room. It was like a big party. The only thing that closed were the pools. The next day the sun came out and it was back to the parks.

We were also there on 9/11 when all the parks closed down and we all wandered around in shock. That was a much scarier time than the hurricane.

I’ve never really worried about getting hit by a Hurricane in WDW. However, what scares me to death is all the spin off tornados that come off many cane’s from the pressure/temp changes inland. That was our biggest fear while living in SC and the same in LA.

Just use common sense and you should be fine. And whatever you do, please please please don’t do what we did during our last Typhoon and go outside and walk around in the middle of the eye. (Obviously we had very little good sense then) Granted it did seem as though we were walking around in a lifeless dream, but at any second that back wall can come in and slam you.
STAY INSIDE and prepare as you would for any storm you’d have at home if going in peak cane season. :wink:

I was thinking the same thing as I leave in about 3 weeks. I just hope the trip isnt ruined by weather.

I’ve attached a copy of the letter, not sure if it will be readable.

I’d agree with the way you capitalized the word “obviously”. I videotaped a couple of kids jumping into one of the ponds at CS from a small bridge. :angry: I was ticked off - people wouldn’t do this on a normal day, but in the middle of a hurricane it seems to be OK. The video of them did make it into my music video that I made with footage of the trip. I set it to REM - It’s the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) - fit the trip perfectly! The jumping video is really funny in retrospect, but I still think they were pretty dumb to go swimming in the middle of the storm. It did start a trend though…I’ve been making videos of our Disney World vacations ever since! :happy:

Well, it seems like a close call with a hurricane is almost a good thing because it might thin out the crowds.

Either way, it seems like a non issue and I won’t worry about it one bit.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I really like this site. U just can’t this kind of info from a travel agent or a CM.

We were there in Oct 2005 during Wilma. We debated cancelling since we hadn’t told the kids (we were surprising them with a 5 day weekend). Any way, we decided to go, hurricanes are so unpredictable and can turn at the last minute. When we left home they said it could hit anywhere from Texas (which is where we live) to FL so we figured we would go. We got there and the parks were almost empty! The closer the storm got the less people we saw. We had tickets to MNSSHP on a Sunday night (storm was to start coming in that night) so we asked if we could change them to Saturday night and they let us! We were not staying on points that trip so we stayed at All Stars. The storm hit while we were sleeping that night (we didn’t hear a thing…we slept right through it!) and we woke up that Monday morning to fly out and the parks were closed, but the sky was blue and the sun was shining by the time we boarded our flight at 1:00. When we left All Stars several characters (mickey, minnie, c&d, donald) were in the lobby and they had tons of games, coloring sheets and activities going on for the kids.

Don’t sweat it, Disney will make sure you are well cared for and it sure cleared out the parks the couple days before…we got to do SO much that trip!