I Am Very Disappointed! (Passholder Rates For Summer)

Well, even though I haven’t started the countdown clock, we’re going to WDW the week after July 4th. Normally I wouldn’t go to Orlando in this time, but my niece is coming to America for the summer and wants to do “The Mouse”. And with her schedule otherwise set, it’s the week after the 4th.

But that’s not the disappointing part and certainly not what this sub forum or thread are about.
Today Disney released passholder rates for June 15 - August 14. As always the offer is “For selected resorts” and even though they say deluxe discounts are 30%, the truth is very different.
We’re doing WL and the rack rate for the 6 days is $2402 (as originally booked).
Based on past experience, I could expect a reduction of $100 a night or $600 total, with a final cost of something like $1800.
Imagine my shock when the CM told me that the “discounted” price was $2282:eek:
Disney Travel is only giving 5% discounts for WL because of popularity. If I want the 30%, I could have done any of the Epcot resorts and apparently GF.
AKL would have been the best with a standard room at something like 25% off, but if I wanted savannah view, it’s back to 5%.

This is verging on bait and switch or false advertising. It would be except for the clever wording that every reservation and offer drips with that absolves the merchant of any real responsibility to actually provide 30% discounts at deluxe resorts as alluded to in their advertisements.

Stinking Mickey Mouse lawyers:hook:

I think my point is that a 5% discount for annual passholders is almost insulting.
Especially when you consider that between the sales tax and bed tax, you’re paying 12% which means that the discount doesn’t even cover the tax on the room.

WL is awesome and the 30% discount is nice. You don’t have an interest in any other deluxe resort?

ooohhhh… I would be mad! I think that if that info got out, say to the media, it would be a major story right now… There might have to be some major backtracking due to the nature of the internet.ugh! That makes me so skeptical- even more than before!

Yes but, the discount for WL is only 5%.
AKL would be about $1600 for a standard, which is somewhere between 25 and 30%, but again, if you deviate to anything else and you’re back to 5% for pool view or savannah view at AKL.
The Epcot resorts are 30%, but when you factor in the higher rack rate for Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk, you’re paying the same or more for your room than at WL.
I’d like to keep the cost down as this is an off budget trip because of the relative visit. Especially as our food costs will be 50% greater, no matter what we do because of the third person (which we don’t normally have).
At the same time, I want to maximize my niece’s experience and coming from Israel, I’d say WL is about as far from her normal experience as you can get.
After all, Africa is next door for her.

Over all, I’m sure I’m just going to have to suck it up and not grumble too much.
This is supposed to be someone’s magic vacation.
That’s also a big reason I want to be on Bay Lake.

And Garden Wing at Contemporary is $2160.
A bit less, but unless you’re in the Contemporary proper, it just isn’t the same.
Again, once you’re in the hotel proper, the discount is Minniemized.:laugh:

Sounds like they’re trying to fill the rooms that no one wants with a higher discount, and yet still offer a little something for the rooms they know they’ll fill anyway. It stinks, but that’s corporate America.

Feel your pain. I do think MickyBug is right on point. Over the last few years the dicounts have been pretty good due to the less then steller demand, but as bookings go up the discounts are going to be less desirable.

For what it’s worth we have always loved the EPCOT resorts with the “backdoor” access to EPCOT and the fun of the boardwalk. I bet there are no deals on the Poly either!

-H

—yes I think the when and where need to fill rooms is the driving force behind the discounts now—people are coming back for vacations that haven’t been for several years—

PORS has a discount the time period we want to go, but not POFQ–so my guess is that the latter is well filled up so no need-----

I’m happy to just be going during the value season so I can’t really complain but the extra 30% would be nice—i could find a way to spend it in the park :laugh:

Perhaps your discount for passholders there will come through later? I hope so.

Did you try and see how much points are if you rented in DVC?

I haven’t really looked into it, but if I were to go DVC, it would have to be BLT and that’s sure to be a pretty penny for six days worth of credits.

Then again, I really do want to do WL and just be done.
I just needed to vent and the deeper discounts to drive guests to less popular lodging makes perfect sense, when you’re looking more to the bottom line.

Call me Janus on this because as a member of the public, I don’t like it.
But as a stockholder, I like profits that bring me bigger dividends and higher share price.

Sorry for you disappointment but it is good news that bookings are up.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1110450]I haven’t really looked into it, but if I were to go DVC, it would have to be BLT and that’s sure to be a pretty penny for six days worth of credits.

Then again, I really do want to do WL and just be done.
I just needed to vent and the deeper discounts to drive guests to less popular lodging makes perfect sense, when you’re looking more to the bottom line.

Call me Janus on this because as a member of the public, I don’t like it.
But as a stockholder, I like profits that bring me bigger dividends and higher share price.[/QUOTE]

Why does it HAVE to be BLT? I understand that 5% is a crummy discount - but I don’t understand why you won’t consider different accomodations.

Let’s consider for a moment what it is I’m complaining about and why other accommodations have been considered and dismissed.
WL is one of the two least costly deluxe resorts, AKL being the other.
Other than CSR, the mods are still only just now switching to two queens from two doubles and the values are all doubles and no queens.
We’ll have my 13 year old niece who has never been to the US, let alone WDW.
So we’re going to need two queen beds unless I get a room with one queen and one bunk.
Why BLT and no other DVC? Let’s start with VWL, which has all the charm of WL’s location with none of the lobby I love. Beach and BWI villas (the hotel, not the airport) have the same location as the regular hotels, which isn’t on Bay Lake. Saratoga Springs? Too far from the parks and too sprawling, same for OKW, which I do like.
Back to beds in villas which we’ve touched on in the What Would You Choose thread.The studio and one bedroom have one bed and a sofa bed. My niece will be going to camp for 8 weeks after leaving WDW, so it wouldn’t be right to make her sleep on a sofa bed for 6 nights.

I’ve already said I’ll probably suck it up and stay with my reservation at WL, unless I can convince myself that if we book Contemporary garden wing that I can get a magical CM to upgrade up to the Contemporary proper because it’s our princess’ first visit to the US and WDW (Bay Lake view, let’s not be greedy and demand MK view).

In the end, as is so often true, it’s all about location vs getting as much value as you can. If 5% is all the value I can get, I’ll grumble under my breath for a little while and by the time we’re done, I probably won’t care.

Unless I decide that AKL is too good a deal to pass up even if there’s not a chance we’ll see the castle from our room there, unlike the 6th floor north woods view at WL :wink:

I think I’m starting to waffle and might switch to the Contemporary garden wing.

Waffle, you only live once.

…you want a Mickey waffle in the garden under your wing???

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry…I couldn’t resist…my bad…

[QUOTE=smallworld;1110488]…you want a Mickey waffle in the garden under your wing???

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry…I couldn’t resist…my bad…[/QUOTE]

You know, I have two different Mickey wafflers, and neither does the Belgian type Mickey they serve in Disney restaurants.
One is a nice big, pancake thick Mickey head and the other is a four panel “Mickey Through The Years” waffler.
Yes, I got them directly from Disney shopping in 2006 or 2007 and I’m not sure they’re still available.
And my waffle batter is better because I use Bisquick instead of somebody else’s pancake mix.

I wonder what turns this thread is about to take:laugh:
Let the games begin.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1110496]You know, I have two different Mickey wafflers, and neither does the Belgian type Mickey they serve in Disney restaurants.
One is a nice big, pancake thick Mickey head and the other is a four panel “Mickey Through The Years” waffler.
Yes, I got them directly from Disney shopping in 2006 or 2007 and I’m not sure they’re still available.
And my waffle batter is better because I use Bisquick instead of somebody else’s pancake mix.

I wonder what turns this thread is about to take:laugh:
Let the games begin.[/QUOTE]

…Bisquick does much better than other mixes! I agree!

:tinytree: Here we come a waffling among the leaves so green…:laugh: