I Don't Get It

This is something I’ve pondered over for awhile now and I’d like to get your all’s perspective on it…since I know the majority of you are loving parents. How come there are still SOOOO many kids at Disney during the school months? I mean, do parents honestly see nothing wrong with taking their children out of school for a whole week+ so they can go to a theme park? Doesn’t that seem a bit ludicrous? Am I alone here? Hahaha…

Although we tried to schedule vacations around the kids school, sometimes it did not work out (20 yrs of military deployments). Our kids did fine and actually were relaxed going back to school. Since they all received full rides to college I guess it worked out. Every situation is different.

YIKES - this is a hot topic here, and I’m sure you will get tons of responses. There are also numerous other threads on this topic here.

My son is 6, and is in Kindergarten. I took him out of school for 7 days this past May. It was a great family vacation, and I wouldn’t trade it for ANYTHING. We worked with his teacher to ensure he made up all the work he missed.

We also have a vacation planned in October, and he will be missing 5 days of 1st grade.

As he gets older, and his school work gets heavier and more complicated, we will evaluate the situation, and if we think it will impact his school performance, we will not continue to go during school times.

Disney vacations are very expensive, and I rather spend the money during non-peak times.

I really doubt many parents see NOTHING wrong with taking their kids to Disney during the school year (well, at least not most of the parents taking their kids to Disney). But sometimes it has to happen that way, depending on family schedules or what they can afford. And also keep in mind that the kids might not be in school. Our friends in Georgia have a fall “intermission” in the middle of October that they use to take their kids to Disney every year. It’s a great time to go because of little crowds and low room rates.

I’m a teacher and parent. I would love to take my son out of school for a week and go when crowds are lower and temperatures are cooler but my DH and I can’t take time off during the school year. As a teacher I don’t have an issue with a student missing school for a week for vacation. I understand not every parent can get time off work when school is out. As long as everyone understands that the child my not do as well on work given at that time and it may take a few weeks to truly catch up I don’t have a problem with it.

Good point. Several schools in my area have a year round school year and get several long breaks during the year. I used to hate the very thought of year round school but it would be nice to have breaks at different times of the year, not just summer and Christmas.

I will happily answer this ~ this year we will head to WDW for the 4th year, each time in September & our children miss 3-4 days of school. First, my kids are excellent students- we always make sure they either do as much of the work they will miss before the trip or as soon as we return. Second, travel of any kind (even to amusement parks) are learning experiences. Since we fly from VA to FL, we have answered countless questions about airplanes, air travel, airport security, geography, planning & even budgets. Third, for all the fun & “magic”, WDW offers a LOT of educational experiences, particularly in Epcot & AK. My kids have even kept journals about their experiences & what they learned that they shared with their classmates once they were back in class. FINALLY (& this is the very reason why even though I wasn’t completely certain about taking them out of school for one more trip this year I decided to go for it), my kids are only going to be kids for a small window of time. My DD13 (who, by the way is an Honor Roll student & a member of the National Jr. Honor Society) will be off to college in 5 very short years. Every family experience we get to have together is precious becuase it flies by sooo fast! We treasure our family trips together & know that later in our kids’ lives, they will remember all the fun we had together during those few days, not what they discussed in Algebra or History class those days!!

Our county gets the school year started in early August… then they get out in September, November, Christmas, February, and April, then out at the end of MAy. I personally think that is crazy…

Taking a vacation, not so much…

My kids go to school somewhere else where the schedule is more like when I was going to school… you never get out for anything (hardly), but you get a decent summer…

I think this is the only reason you need.

As a teacher, I try to not judge parents for the decisions they make for their families. Family time is just as important as everything else. Most of my students who miss a week of school for vacation have decent attendance and make up the work. My students who miss 20-40 days of school each year usually aren’t going on vacation to miss that amount time.

[QUOTE=Goodegirl2007;1036849]YIKES - this is a hot topic here, and I’m sure you will get tons of responses. There are also numerous other threads on this topic here.

My son is 6, and is in Kindergarten. I took him out of school for 7 days this past May. It was a great family vacation, and I wouldn’t trade it for ANYTHING. We worked with his teacher to ensure he made up all the work he missed.

We also have a vacation planned in October, and he will be missing 5 days of 1st grade.

As he gets older, and his school work gets heavier and more complicated, we will evaluate the situation, and if we think it will impact his school performance, we will not continue to go during school times.

Disney vacations are very expensive, and I rather spend the money during non-peak times.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you completely. I mean, I’m not a parent myself so maybe I just don’t understand yet. However, I can understand taking small children who don’t have much of a work load…but anything over 4th grade seems to be a bit much. I just think there would be so much stress for the child upon returning! And to be blunt…haha, I just really wish there were a few months out of the year where Disney could be more of an adult environment. Maybe that’s just selfish of me.

There are pros and cons to everythings. I would love to go during school but I am a teacher as well. However, it is hard when a student misses and they don’t work to make up work. I just had a student miss due to a Disney vacation and he never made up all his work. His grade suffered a little. However, I don’t think the parents would trade the trip for the world so I understand. Unless your school district forbids it, it is a parents choice and responsibility.

What an awesome answer! You sound like such a great Mom! :happy:

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1036859]I think this is the only reason you need.

As a teacher, I try to not judge parents for the decisions they make for their families. Family time is just as important as everything else. Most of my students who miss a week of school for vacation have decent attendance and make up the work. My students who miss 20-40 days of school each year usually aren’t going on vacation to miss that amount time.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! We discuss our trip at length with our kids so they are fully on board with the comittment it will require from them to make up the work they miss in school. Every year, they are more than happy to put in the effort to get the make up work done! Family time is always #1 & always will be!

As far as Disney having an adults-only time, I don’t see that happening. There are plenty of adults-only resorts and but even within WDW, there are tons of places for adults to find some quiet, kid-free time.

Being a parent who just pulled her 2 older children out of school for 3 days for a WDW vacation I’m chiming in.

I didn’t plan the time my vacation happened. My in laws did. Since they payed for over 1/2 of it, I went with the dates they chose. My mil is a teacher in Illinois and they were let out just after Memorial Day. So it was a no brainer for her. She chose right before the Florida crowds got busy in WDW and right after she got out so she’d have her full summer to rest and plan her next school year. My kids got out today, the 16th. They missed 3 days of the last full week of school. Big whoop imo. I e-mailed both teachers, who reassured me they’d be missing nothing but a few review sheets, cleaning out their desks and watching movies like Toy Story and Lion King. Umm hello I’m going to Disney, which is MUCH better than a dvd. lol.

I made the kids work hard and try not to miss any school this year in anticipation of the trip. They missed 1 day and 0 days respectively until the trip.

To me family time is very important, the fact that the kids will not get a 2nd childhood is just as important. They are only young once. My oldest is 10 and while it seems like yesterday I was holding a brand spanking new baby, it wasn’t. If they have to miss a few days of school for a family vacation, to anywhere, they will.

I do not take their education lightly in any regards and hope that they learn to balance fun and work like any person should. I worked really hard to take them to Disney and will do so this coming year for our next trip.

I try to schedule appointments, trips, etc around school the rest of the year. This one time didn’t hurt them one bit. If the child is chronically absent or late, etc then I can see it being an issue in regards for their education. Otherwise, it’s family time.

One day when you have kids, you too will think like most of us do. I too thought like you, we all have thought “What the heck?” at times over families doing things we as non parents thought they shouldn’t. In the end, to only do the same thing when we too became parents.

I :heart::wub: my kids

We always had to take our DD out of school for our trips as being international guests the USA is a long way to go for just a short holiday.
DD’s school was always happy to let me have a scheme of the work that she would be missing, and some ‘homework’ to do whilst on vacation-usually centred around visiting another country, climate, etc.
My DD now attends one of the top Universities in the United Kingdom, and is tri-lingual. Her education hasn’t suffered at all, and I think she benefited from her travelling as she had a wider cultural knowledge.
I think most parents can gauge whether their child can cope with missing school, and if my DD’s grades had slipped we would have stopped at once. The other thing is that in the UK, the prices for holidays and hotels practically triple during the summer breaks, and some families just can’t afford to go during these times- especially if they have more than one child.

As for the adults only Disney-no, couldn’t and wouldn’t want it to happen, for me anyway (personal opinion)

I think it is every family’s responsibility to make wise decisions for their children based on individual needs. Only one of my children are in school and we will be taking her out for a week this fall, as we have done in the past. She is an excellent student and we have never had any issues with keeping up her A average or making up the work. Children have their whole lives to be adults and such a short time to be children, why not give them fantastic experiences that will stay with them a lifetime?

MarieKitteh, I am not sure why your opinion that children should not be taken out of school for a vacation is the “correct” way to parent and those of us who do take our kids out are, in your words, “ludicrous”. MarieKitteh, you are casting aspersions on other parent just because their parenting style differs from yours. I have my suspicions that if we were able to examine your parenting techniques the rest of us “ludicrous” parents could find fault with you, too. Oh, wait you have no children, so maybe you should refrain from criticising until you do.

(& this is the very reason why even though I wasn’t completely certain about taking them out of school for one more trip this year I decided to go for it), my kids are only going to be kids for a small window of time. My DD13 (who, by the way is an Honor Roll student & a member of the National Jr. Honor Society) will be off to college in 5 very short years. Every family experience we get to have together is precious becuase it flies by sooo fast! We treasure our family trips together & know that later in our kids’ lives, they will remember all the fun we had together during those few days, not what they discussed in Algebra or History class those days!!

And when they grow up and are on their own, they can go to WDW with you as adults and pay for their own trip! Still family time together, just cheaper.

It’s Disney. Disney wasn’t intended to be an “adult environment.” It’s a place where kids and kids-at-heart can be kids. :happy:

We took our kids out twice during the school year, both for a total of 5 days of school missed. The first time my son was in 1st grade and my daughter in pre-school and the second time my son was in 3rd grade and my daughter in 1st. After the second trip my son (then a 3rd grader) asked that we not make him miss anymore school to go on vacation. He is an excellent student but what he didn’t like was all the makeup work when we returned and he felt that he missed too much of what was going on; my daughter (then a 1st grader) agreed. So at the request of my kids we will not be taking anymore vacations during the regular school year unless they are during school breaks.

Every family and every child is different, you have to do what works best for you and your family.

I haven’t read all the replies yet, but will share my perspective.

DH and I are very loving parents, but wouldn’t hesitate to take our children out of school for a WDW family vacation (not an issue anymore though, since we homeschool). He and I both want our children to have a wide range of experiences, and while academics are very, very important to us, so are wonderful family experiences.

In 2005, we took our three children out of school to spend 8 days with his parents, sister, brother and family in WDW. Now, 5 years later, my dear MIL has fairly advanced Alzheimers and the kids have pics, video and lovely memories of being in WDW during January when the crowds were low (much less stress for older parents). My dear children never missed a beat with school and it was a successful year.