I guess I’m going solo to Disneyland

Well, here we are just 20 days from our 7 nights at the Grand Californian Hotel at Disneyland, and my wife’s back problems have flared up. Today, her doctor advised no travel for her over the next 90 days, and she has to begin some physical therapy next week. She’s not in any pain unless she stresses her back by trying to do too much.

We both discussed re-scheduling the trip for later in the year, but we both decided that wasn’t feasible given our schedules. If we cancelled, our DVC points would remain as reservation points that we’d have to use only in the Disney Collection before the end of our Use Year (since they can’t be banked). That just won’t work for us.

Instead, my wife just wants me to go all by myself, while she just relaxes at home. I think my wife’s decision was also influenced a bit by two other things – she really hates to fly (that’s why we drive to WDW) and she can only take so much of my mom (my parents live nearby and we’ll also be spending time with them).

I’m pretty bummed my wife isn’t going, but darn it – I’m going to try to make the best of it. After all, it is Disneyland – the Happiest Place on Earth!

I’ll have plenty of time to roam around Disneyland and DCA, as well as DTD and the three hotels. I’ll also be riding more rides than usual.

I do hate dining alone, and I have all 7 nights of Priority Seating booked – including Steakhouse 55 and three nights at Napa Rose. Maybe I’ll take my mom one night and my dad another.

Have any of you taken a long solo trip to Disneyland? Did you enjoy it?

I go to DW at least twice a year by myself. Occasionally a cousin or my sister and nephews will join me for a few days, but most of the time I am alone. I love it:laugh: I can do things when I want and where I want. I eat when I get hungary or am near the Dole Pineapple Float stand. I enjoy people watching and offer to take pictures for people. I talk to others while waiting in lines. Several times while talking to others, I’ve found they are from the same city and once found they lived only a couple of miles away from me and knew some of my relatives. The only thing I prefer not to do is eat alone. I tend to eat counter service but I have eaten at nicer restaurants also. I usually take a book or magazine or play with my phone. The cast always makes me feel as though I’m not alone. Enjoy yourself and have a great trip. :mickey:

You’ll have a great time and your wife will get some much needed ‘down’ time. Hope she’s feeling better and that your trip is Magical! You can bring some of that magic back to her!

I was in WDW solo for 3 days and had a BLAST! haha. It really depends on your outlook & mood though, just keep positive & have fun. If you start to THINK “Man, this is the pits being here alone,” then guess what… you WILL make it ‘the pits.’ It’s great that you have family close by so they can join you on the nicer dinners. On the nights you have to eat dinner alone, if you feel too uncomfortable eating table service, thank goodness Disneyland has some of the best counter service locations; French Market, Rancho Del Zocalo, Pacific Wharf Cafe, La Brea, etc. You wouldn’t feel uncomfortable at any of those.

It REALLY stinks your wife can’t go :sad: I had the advantage of being in WDW where more than several Mousebuzzers wanted to keep me company which was awesome but that may not be as easy in DL. Either way, you seem like a pretty laid-back friendly guy who should be able to ease through it no problem; focus on doing lots of photography, make CMs your bestest friends in the world, and do whatever in the heck you want!

I had the best Disneyland day when I went by myself. :happy: It was fantastic. You’ll have a great time.

I’ve never gone on any vacation by myself, so this will be a first for me.

I guess the bright side is I CAN do anything I want.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;955698]
It really depends on your outlook & mood though, just keep positive & have fun. If you start to THINK “Man, this is the pits being here alone,” then guess what… you WILL make it ‘the pits.’ [/QUOTE]

I think you’re right, and I’m going to approach the trip with a positive attitude.

[QUOTE=DVC Mike;955684]Well, here we are just 20 days from our 7 nights at the Grand Californian Hotel at Disneyland, and my wife’s back problems have flared up. Today, her doctor advised no travel for her over the next 90 days, and she has to begin some physical therapy next week. She’s not in any pain unless she stresses her back by trying to do too much.

We both discussed re-scheduling the trip for later in the year, but we both decided that wasn’t feasible given our schedules. If we cancelled, our DVC points would remain as reservation points that we’d have to use only in the Disney Collection before the end of our Use Year (since they can’t be banked). That just won’t work for us.

Instead, my wife just wants me to go all by myself, while she just relaxes at home. I think my wife’s decision was also influenced a bit by two other things – she really hates to fly (that’s why we drive to WDW) and she can only take so much of my mom (my parents live nearby and we’ll also be spending time with them).

I’m pretty bummed my wife isn’t going, but darn it – I’m going to try to make the best of it. After all, it is Disneyland – the Happiest Place on Earth!

I’ll have plenty of time to roam around Disneyland and DCA, as well as DTD and the three hotels. I’ll also be riding more rides than usual.

I do hate dining alone, and I have all 7 nights of Priority Seating booked – including Steakhouse 55 and three nights at Napa Rose. Maybe I’ll take my mom one night and my dad another.

Have any of you taken a long solo trip to Disneyland? Did you enjoy it?[/QUOTE]

hmmm…I thought about it and I think you will a terrible time so I have decided to go with you. The GC sounds great to me! Now about those dinner choices…

Seriously though? enjoy your solo trip and take some of your post card quality pictures !

Hey Mike, I just thought of another thing that made my solo trip awesome; have some ‘text’ buddies!! People who want to get your Disney text updates & pics. It gives your trip a nice little purpose to communicate with others out there. It also gives you something to do while waiting in lines by yourself.

I will be one of your text buddies if you choose to do that, I love getting Disneyland updates & pics. It’s almost like a live blog.

Mike- your photos are some of the most beautiful I’ve seen of WDW. How about a photojournal of DL? You’ll also have plenty of time to enjoy the smells, the sounds, etc. It’s too bad your wife isn’t feeling well, but since she still wants you to go and enjoy, I think you should do just that.

[QUOTE=DVC Mike;955684]

Have any of you taken a long solo trip to Disneyland? Did you enjoy it?[/QUOTE]

Well, Mike. We’ll be there from May 22-24 staying at the GC. Just let me know if you’re interested and you can hang with us. I think it would be cool to meet up with a fellow Mousebuzzer.

Im sorry to hear the unfortunate news about your wifes situation, and that is very strong of her to want to have you go and enjoy the trip, kudos to her.

Ive taken many solo trips to DLR, many while I worked there, haha. I love it, it gives you great time to just roam and explore the parks in the perspective that you want to. What days are you going? Maybe I could pop down to the parks for the day or something and hang out with you and give you some company if your interested? I could give you my CM discount on merchandise if that makes the offer sound any better? :tongue:

But alone or with someone, you will no doubt enjoy the trip.

First of all, your poor wife. Not because of missing disney, but back pain is awful. And yes if flying makes your wife stress out, I can just feel the muscles tensing. Have her start making a list of all movies she wanted to see that you would hate. Now is the time to watch them.

Now on to disney, I’ve never taken a trip by myself, only had a few hours here and then. But I wouldn’t mind one for a few days. The eating part would give me problems. I think either I’d bring a book or eat at CS.

Wishy offered to be a text buddy…I’f offer too but your trip would be over before I could get out one message. LOL When my DS was in the Phillapines, he would text and I’d be “w…h…a…t…” and he would be texting “mom are you there???, why don’t you answer me??”"

I wouldn’t think twice about a trip by myself as long as my DH wouldl be ok by himself.