I have a dilema!

i booked the art of animation mermaid room and plus dining back in march. my dates are dec 16-20. just looked on the disney site and it says free quick service! so i call they tell me they cant honor it because of the mermaid room! they say i could upgrade to a suite at the art hotel but i have to pay another $400 out of pocket OR i could change hotels to POP and SAVE $400…i am not sure what to do…my husband and i are taking our two girls as surprise for christmas…we have all been to WDW before and wanted to make it special…what to do???

I would definitely switch to POP. We’ve stayed there several times and loved it. We’re going back in Jan and hoping for Free Dining. I would try AoA Little Mermaid if I could get free dining but if not will have no problem with Pop. You can always walk across the bridge and walk around AoA as much as you want, take pics etc. To me you really can’t beat the free dining.

I would switch to Pop to save the money, AoA will be there next time.

Take advantage of free dining while you can. Switch to Pop and visit AoA. Maybe have lunch or dinner there for your kids to be able to still enjoy it.

I would upgrade to the suite, but I like shiny and new…lol

I think I have to vote for the Pop too - think about it - all the money you save can go towards your next trip!

I’d switch to pop and upgrade to the deluxe dining. Its an additional $470 but for you wouldn’t that really just be an additional $70 since your saving $400? You can use the 3 table services and do a bunch of character dinners or breakfasts. Or the luau!

roughly $470 * that’s what we paid to upgrade…but we did it from regular dining. So it might be more for you now that I think about it. :S

i was going to upgrade but they are booked

It’s going to be special no matter what you do! If NOT saving money will stress you out, change it. If you’ve already budgeted for AoA, go with what you wanted to do!

What is your exact dates?

Dang, the suites are booked solid, too? (They always seem to have availability for all of the dates I’ve checked… Mermaid rooms are difficult to get, though.)

I was going to suggest that the $470 spent upgrading to a suite also gets you free dining… so while it doesn’t even out, it does save you the money for food.

Personally, I’d stick with the Mermaid room. They’re difficult to get and will be new for your family. Not to mention, you were planning to spend that much money anyway, so what’s the loss?

If you really want free dining, another suggestion - how much does it cost to upgrade to a moderate? I think with the moderate, you get the regular DDP, so the price to upgrade with free DDP might even out. Something to consider…

I was curious, so I checked your dates, December 16-20.

I found availability at Art of Animation. They have Lion King Suites and Cars Family Suites - $2300.42 (with 5-day MYW base ticket and free quick service DDP)

Pop Century has a standard room for $1559.94 (with 5-day MYW base ticket and free quick service DDP).

Now… get this… Caribbean Beach is $1868.42 for a standard room (with 5-day MYW base and free REGULAR DDP). The cost of the regular DDP for two adults and two children under 9 years old is normally $669.60 - that you’re saving! Sooo… if you think of it that way, it’s really as if the room is only $1198.82. Good deal, no? (Yeah, I’m good at talking people… like my dad… into things :laugh:)

If you want to make your trip special, for just $135 more, you could have a pirate room at Caribbean Beach or a royal room at Port Orleans Riverside. At $2003.46, it’s still less expensive than the family suites at AOA, but you get free dining and a themed room at a higher-grade resort! Win-win situation, no? :happy:

Victoria is way on the ball here - yes all is available. I am not sure who your wife talked to, but Art has availability in the suites. The CBR is a steal…they are selling that resort VERY low because it’s the last to book. It’s been that way since the beginning of the free dining discount.

Wow, Victoria is on the ball. I’d switch to Caribbean beach and ask for the Martinique section building 25 or 26, it’s close to a bus stop, the main pool and the food court. We’ve stayed in the section twice, it’s awesome. As a second choice I’d go with Pop.

Just an observation, on this board I see a lot of parents spend a lot of extra money on things to make their kids’ trip awesome. If you have the money and desire, fine. But my kids has loved WDW no matter what extra things we add. I don’t know if they care if they are in the Mermaid rooms. We’re only doing AA because, as a family of 5, or options are limited.

Whatever you choose, you’re kids will have a great time. So don’t stress.

Cavey is totally right. A friend of our wanted to make their trip extra special for the kids so they spent extra and got a pirate room at CBR. The kids really liked it when they first arrived but within 2 days the novelty had totally worn off. My friend said she enjoyed the room but would have rather had a room that was way closer to the main store, food, etc.

So, as Cavey said, whatever you chose, the kids will have a good time.

I’d go with Pop and save the money or with CBR for the regular dining plan upgrade.
Right now, they’ve been refurbishing Pop, so many of the rooms will be “like new”.
I’d save the money this trip and consider upgrading your resort on a future vacation.

[QUOTE=Dana;1118438]What is your exact dates?[/QUOTE] hi my exact dates is dec 16 thru 20th

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1118457]I was curious, so I checked your dates, December 16-20.

I found availability at Art of Animation. They have Lion King Suites and Cars Family Suites - $2300.42 (with 5-day MYW base ticket and free quick service DDP)

Pop Century has a standard room for $1559.94 (with 5-day MYW base ticket and free quick service DDP).

Now… get this… Caribbean Beach is $1868.42 for a standard room (with 5-day MYW base and free REGULAR DDP). The cost of the regular DDP for two adults and two children under 9 years old is normally $669.60 - that you’re saving! Sooo… if you think of it that way, it’s really as if the room is only $1198.82. Good deal, no? (Yeah, I’m good at talking people… like my dad… into things :laugh:)

If you want to make your trip special, for just $135 more, you could have a pirate room at Caribbean Beach or a royal room at Port Orleans Riverside. At $2003.46, it’s still less expensive than the family suites at AOA, but you get free dining and a themed room at a higher-grade resort! Win-win situation, no? :happy:[/QUOTE]

Wow Victoria thank you! I made a mistake saying there were no suites avail at AofA they just increased in price, ouch! On top of that I purchased the regular dining plan as opposed to the quick service. So yes I only would have to pay the difference. Disney said that moderate were booked, but now that you have checked I might have to reconsider changing. I also like your option about just keeping what I have.

Ok, since you are almost like my personal travel agent. Have you ever been to MVMCP? We are going on December 18th! I heard it starts at 7pm but you can get in at 4pm. So I made lunch reservations at Whispering Canyon cafe at 2ish. I think we can take the boat to MK? Is everything open in the evening at MK during the christmas party?