I have no idea what to choose. Help

[B]The Good News:[/B]
We are headed to Disney World for our honeymoon/1st family vacation September 6-12. Airfare is booked, so it’s a definite.

[B]The Frustrating News:[/B]
We can’t figure out where to stay.

[B]The Story Behind It:[/B]
Once we figured out we were going, we booked the Pop Century because we got a good rate of $69 per night. We liked this because then we didn’t have to rent a car and so on. Plus we can register with Disney’s Honeymoon Registry since we couldn’t think of anything else we really wanted.

Two hours later, Sean’s aunt called us. She has timeshares all over the place and has a week in Hawaii for exchange that has to be used before the end of September so she offered it to us. So essentially a free place to stay. We have looked at all the different places offered through RCI that week and narrowed it down to probably either Sheraton Vistana Resort or Orange Lake Resort if we go that route.

I really wanted to stay on Disney property even if it was a value resort. However we are visiting a lot of friends and family offsite, so we would probably eventually rent a car. But I also really want to save some money because we would end up saving over $300 once the rental car is factored in.

So ultimately, I have never stayed on a timeshare property. Are there extra fees or charges that they hit you with? Are we going to end up spending more money? (we do have free parking at Disney already even if we stay off site :happy:)

Sorry that I am rambling, but I really need some advice from the experts.

I love timeshares. We always trade to go to new places. There are no hidden fees, for the most part. Some places charge for parking, phone service, etc. But most of the time its the cheapest way to go. I have stayed at Orange Lake and if I remember correctly, parking was free, but it was a few years ago that I stayed there. Its nice that you’ll be able to park for free at the parks. Definitely helps save money! You can also factor in the money you could potentially save by eating some meals in the room since you will have a kitchen.

One thing that’s different about timeshares from a normal hotel is that maid service will either not come at all while you are there or sometimes they come once in the middle of the week. You can pay for them to come more frequently at some places, too.

In the end its your decision…save money or stay on property. Tough decision. I can tell you that I think you’d be happy in doing the timeshare option. And next time, tell the aunt to give you some notice and she can trade to stay on property! Best of both worlds! :smile:

As much as I love staying on Disney property - I would vote for the timeshare. With the baby you’ll appreciate the extra space and the kitchen (I’'m assuming it will have a kitchenette). The POP rooms are efficient, but pretty small. And free is great!!!

Happy Honeymoon!

We have two timeshares - Disney and Interval. Personally, I can’t imagine staying in a hotel room after having a timeshare condo.

We usually stay on-site for a week and immerse ourselves in Disney and then stay off-site and do the other things we want to do on vacation.

I’d suggest Marriott’s. Marriott’s have never let us down. The Marriott Grand Vista certainly rivals any Disney timeshare - they are absolutely gorgeous! Last year we stayed at the timeshares on the grounds of the Marriott World Center. It was beautiful too - and a 2 minute drive to the entrance of WDW.

I know it’s great to stay on-site, but if you have other things to do - and you are offered a timeshare - I’d certainly take it.

I’m going to go against the norm and say POP. Simply because you only have one honeymoon (you know…most of the time…sometimes you have two or three but that’s cool too). Anyway, you should do it the way you really want to or you’ll end up being a little sad. And who wants to be a little sad on their honeymoon?

Go with the timeshare. You will appreciate the space. It would make the most sense if you will be renting a car and visiting others.

Ok, I could be completely off base here, but didn’t RCI partner with Disney? My friend has her RCI vacation booked through Disney for October and they are staying at Animal Kingdom, Kidani Village! Can’t you essentially do both since they are one in the same for the time being?

In order to stay on Disney property, you have to request it through RCI at least one to two years in advance. As you can imagine, they fill up fast!

We stayed at Orange Lake a couple of years ago and really,really loved it. We use my mom’s timeshare(II and RCI) when we go to Orlando each year. That is the only way I can stay for 1 week($150.00) and then can afford to go to the parks or do whatever i want. I still go to Disney and stay on property when we are only staying a few days at a time. We are still checking around for next year and Love Marriots grand vista. It looks awesome. From RCI, I think Orange Lake , Sheraton Vistiana, or Bonnet creek(on Disney property but not part of it) would be nice. Any way you go you can’t go wrong.

happy honeymoon, where did u stay & go?

Space wise I would do a timeshare, I have a Westgate town center timeshare one mile from Disney and it is great there, However, it being your Honeymoon you may have a chance at an upgrade to a better place to stay for free from the value resort to a mod. or deluxe resort. Something to possibly think about. either way have a wonderful honeymoon and congradulations.

LOL!

Ok- I totally agree… I LOVE the magic and energy/excitement of all the people when I am onsite.

If baby is the adorable baby in the picture- I would say that he? is REALLY little. You can use a larger room when baby is moving around more :slight_smile: I personally would fit 4 large adults in a Pop room if it meant staying on site vs. off.

So, It is your Honeymoon. Does the thought of waking up on Disney property make you feel excited and giddy? Knowing you can look out the window and see Disney stuff? Have people telling you to have a magical morning ect?
Or, do you love space and want to cook on your Honeymoon?

All bets are off if it WAS a timeshare in Hawaii though… that would be tough to pass up!

Sorry, I don’t want to be rude, but that is not true! We just booked our October reservations (we are DVC) and our friends booked them the same day for the same week (she is RCI) and we were only 6 months out at the time!

RCI partnered with Disney “officially” back in January (there have been some pretty intense discussions on this topic!) and they currently have a two year contract that will be re-evaluated in 2011! My friend is staying at Animal Kingdom in a 2 bedroom! Actually, she also booked her borther and his fiance (they get married while we are down ther at Coco beach on October 21st) in a one bedroom at Boardwalk Villas about 3 months ago.

I would do some checking before you count this out! DVC member services has a dedicated line that helps RCI members to manage their booked reservations but RCI has a website and a customer service department that can help to answer all of the questions you have about staying on Disney Property and actually booking the reservation. I would definately want to be well informed before I made a decision to stay off property when I certainly could stay ON property!

I called RCI to book a room at SSR for next year and RCI told me there was nothing from now till next summer(the end). So, I don’t know how to book through RCI. I would love to dtsay in Disney next year but not sure if it is possible. I guess I will keep calling. Is there any tricks to booking through RCI for a Disney property?

Well it’s going to be Pop. For this reason: my work cut back the time I have off. So it’s going to be four nights at Disney (which is totally fine) and no need for a rental car since we won’t have time to drive to Panama City. But I am totally fine with everything. Quite excited really. :happy:

Sounds like your going to have fun either way. :mickey:This may be a little off the wall ,but here is my suggestion. Spend half the trip at the pop and enjoy disney the way you have been dreaming about . Then spend the other half at the timeshare and visit your friends and family from there. You could use the money you save at the timeshare to kinda help with the rent a car.:goofybounce:

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;983745]Sorry, I don’t want to be rude, but that is not true! We just booked our October reservations (we are DVC) and our friends booked them the same day for the same week (she is RCI) and we were only 6 months out at the time!

RCI partnered with Disney “officially” back in January (there have been some pretty intense discussions on this topic!) and they currently have a two year contract that will be re-evaluated in 2011! My friend is staying at Animal Kingdom in a 2 bedroom! Actually, she also booked her borther and his fiance (they get married while we are down ther at Coco beach on October 21st) in a one bedroom at Boardwalk Villas about 3 months ago.

I would do some checking before you count this out! DVC member services has a dedicated line that helps RCI members to manage their booked reservations but RCI has a website and a customer service department that can help to answer all of the questions you have about staying on Disney Property and actually booking the reservation. I would definately want to be well informed before I made a decision to stay off property when I certainly could stay ON property![/QUOTE]

I’d say your friend was very lucky - or she had some pull. When Disney was with Interval - and thanks alot for changing without letting members know Disney:glare: - we would always get in - BUT that’s because we have an investment in a timeshare in Banff, Alberta. When we were just plain old Interval members we ONCE got a studio at OKW in return for a 2 bedroom in the Dominican Republic - it never happened again. Check, by all means - but DVC had a “dedicated” line for Interval too - but no one we knew ever got lucky with it. Maybe they’ve changed their policy and keep a limited amount available for RCI. It certainly never happened with Interval.

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;983745]Sorry, I don’t want to be rude, but that is not true! We just booked our October reservations (we are DVC) and our friends booked them the same day for the same week (she is RCI) and we were only 6 months out at the time!

I would do some checking before you count this out! DVC member services has a dedicated line that helps RCI members to manage their booked reservations but RCI has a website and a customer service department that can help to answer all of the questions you have about staying on Disney Property and actually booking the reservation. I would definately want to be well informed before I made a decision to stay off property when I certainly could stay ON property![/QUOTE]

I don’t know how they got so lucky! :huh: I’m pretty good at trading and getting what I want, but I’ve never been able to get into Disney on such short notice. I bank my week early and put in my search. I always get what I want, but never wait until the last minute. I agree that you should always try to see if there are any openings, but definitely don’t get your hopes up on that short of notice.

Well, don’t just keep calling. Put in your request as an ongoing search for the resorts you want to stay at and as openings come up you will move closer to the top of the list and eventually get what you want. That’s how it works for everyone, no tricks that I know of. The larger time span you can give them for when you are willing to go, the sooner your request will be met. This goes the same for the more resorts you request. Put in your search now and good luck! :smile:

Actually all, she booked online!!! There were tons when she booked! She would laugh if she read “she knows someone!” She has had a dificult time dealing with the CM’s because noone seems to know what they are talking about, but all agree on her reservation. Which is what matters most!

Llama, I agree about Interval, as everyone here may know I am extreamly disapointed about the switch to RCI from Interval, but that is not a topic anyone wants me to revisit!

Maybe you are all right, maybe she was extreamly lucky TWICE! BUt I know she has search since and there were plenty of openings just not at conveinent times for her!

Gingita, I am happy to see you have a resi in mind. I hope you guys have a great time!