I need help with Universal crowds

We have never gone to Universal before, but DH and DS are planning a day on our quickly approaching trip, but they aren’t sure what would be the best day to go. I have searched for a crowd calendar, but I can’t find one. Does anyone here have any suggestions? We’ll be at Disney World June 19-24. Thanks for any help y’all can give! :happy:

What’s, uh what did you call it - Unie-VER-sal?

:laugh:

Hi there, we just returned from universal; we were there the Sunday and Monday of Memorial Weekend. I was surprised that the park didn’t seem too crowded, but the lines were VERY long not just in WWoHP but throughout the entire park. Fortunately for us since we were staying on property we were able to get in a hour early and had the express pass; without these two privileges I’m not sure that we would have enjoyed the park as much, especially since my kids aren’t much for standing in long lines.

If your DH and DS are planning on going to see WWoHP, they should be there as soon as they can get in. The Forbidden Journey wait time was 60 minutes by 9:30 am and later in the day went up to 120 minutes. Also the Dragon Challenge roller coaster in WWoHP had about the same wait times.

Make sure they try ButterBeer…it’s VERY delicious. We tried both the regular and the frozen; my family prefers the regular.

[QUOTE=phayes93;1078882]What’s, uh what did you call it - Unie-VER-sal?

:laugh:[/QUOTE]

Do you mean that Universal is foreign to all of us WDW obsessed folks?

[QUOTE=MickeyEars;1078884]Hi there, we just returned from universal; we were there the Sunday and Monday of Memorial Weekend. I was surprised that the park didn’t seem too crowded, but the lines were VERY long not just in WWoHP but throughout the entire park. Fortunately for us since we were staying on property we were able to get in a hour early and had the express pass; without these two privileges I’m not sure that we would have enjoyed the park as much, especially since my kids aren’t much for standing in long lines.

If your DH and DS are planning on going to see WWoHP, they should be there as soon as they can get in. The Forbidden Journey wait time was 60 minutes by 9:30 am and later in the day went up to 120 minutes. Also the Dragon Challenge roller coaster in WWoHP had about the same wait times.

Make sure they try ButterBeer…it’s VERY delicious. We tried both the regular and the frozen; my family prefers the regular.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, MickeyEars! Very helpful information. DH just needs to decide what they want to do about their “boys day.” I can’t find anything with any hard numbers, and I am such a data person. :laugh:

Just a little warning for Universal… make sure DS is 54" or taller! We went to Uni for the first time when I was 12 and my sister was 10 (we’ve always been on the petite side, though), and Rachel was very disappointed to find out that she couldn’t ride the Incredible Hulk or Dueling Dragons (now a Harry Potter coaster). There were many other kids outside the ride in tears, too!

You’re welcome, I hope they have a great time!

Very good advice, I totally forgot about this. My DD (9) was not tall enough for either ride and she was quite disappointed.

Oh, no! Thank you! All of my babies are petite. DS is almost 11, and is one of the smallest kids in 5th grade at our school. I’m going to have DH measure him right now. If he’s too short, we’ll wait until our next trip. :frown:

Just measured him and he’s 53" without shoes, but when he put his crocs on he was right at 54". What advice do you all of you have?

Make him look as tall as possible! They are very strict on the height requirement and seek the little ones out with their measuring bar… they usually have kids take off crocs/flip-flops, but they don’t make them take off tennis shoes. So I suggest having him wear tennis shoes to Universal.

When we went back a couple of months later, we had Rachel wear rollerskate shoes (this was pre-heely! :laugh:), which had very thick soles. They looked at her skeptically but let her ride. But, the shoes were heavy, so she was very tired by the end of the day.

If he’s only an inch short, he’ll probably be able to get by in tennis shoes.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1078901]Make him look as tall as possible! They are very strict on the height requirement and seek the little ones out with their measuring bar… they usually have kids take off crocs/flip-flops, but they don’t make them take off tennis shoes. So I suggest having him wear tennis shoes to Universal.

When we went back a couple of months later, we had Rachel wear rollerskate shoes (this was pre-heely! :laugh:), which had very thick soles. They looked at her skeptically but let her ride. But, the shoes were heavy, so she was very tired by the end of the day.

If he’s only an inch short, he’ll probably be able to get by in tennis shoes.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the advice. I’m going to have DH measure him in his tennis shoes. He’s worn Adidas Sambas this year, and the soles are not all that thick. I really hate to buy new tennis shoes now that summer is here, but we may have to and cross our fingers that his feet don’t grow too much before school begins. :laugh:

We were there for spring break and the crowds really weren’t too bad at all. US was pretty light, Islands of Adventure was a bit more crowded but we did everything we wanted too. With everyone talking about height requirements and making their kids taller, we found one ride at US with a height limit (I forget the name of the ride, but it’s the one that you can set your own music, etc on the ride)…I had to tell my son to “look short” LOL! He was able to ride, but we were a bit worried until he was actually on the ride. I had never seen a ride with a height limit before!

We witnessed something when entering The Forbidden Journey that I’ve never witnessed at any other theme park; a teenage girl was getting in line when she was pulled aside and asked to sit in a ride car which was at the entrance to the ride. The girl was told that she could walk the castle but would not be able to go on the ride. I felt horrible for her, she was a bigger girl but I didn’t think she was so big that she shouldn’t be able to ride. I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

I called my cousin today to ask for advice about Universal. She did the CP at WDW, and she said the most important thing to remember is that the Universal’s employees are not held to the same standard as Disney’s employees, and that if you know that going in you won’t be treated as nicely you’ll be better off. I think that’s sad. I’m so sorry to hear that you saw that poor girl be treated poorly. I can only imagine how humiliated she must have been. That breaks my heart.

We totally noticed the difference between the parks. We joked amongst ourselves that they could learn a thing or two about customer service from some Disney folks. We always go into new places with open minds knowing that the Disney standard just won’t be there. Disney does tend to spoil us with Excellent customer service.

that is so sad… though the last few trips we noticed some less then Disney behavior with some cms… off topic… you dog is adorable…

I often wonder if the employees ate the other parks are Disney “wanna-be” employees…and take it out on customers that they didn’t get hired by THE Mouse.

We did IA in April, mainly just for WWoHP. Here’s a few tips that we learned:

1. If you’re not staying on site for the Express Pass, purchase them seperately. It saves a lot of headache and time during the day.

2. Arrive early. We arrived at 8am, park opens at 9am to regular guests. They let us in early at 8:40am. We went on a Tuesday, as per the express pass calendar, week-days are less busy than week-ends.

3. Head straight for Forbidden Journey. There are no express passes for this ride. When we entered WWoHP the wait-time was 30min. Later in the day it went up to 2hours. If kids are too small to ride, do the child swap. You can enter right into the gates and by-pass the locker line up saving up to 20minutes off your wait-time.

4. Do Olivander’s second. This line up was over an hour wait first thing in the morning and never got shorter. While in thils line, have one person in your party wait in line and the others can take an opportunity to walk around and take pictures. If you wait to get shots in the afternoon, it will be so packed you will only get pics of everyone’s head around you. Also at this time, grab a butter beer from the stand in the street. Later in the day the line-up is all the way down the street. This time of day it won’t be lined up and you’ll have something to enjoy while in the heat in line for Olivander’s.

5. After Olivander’s, check out all the shops. Later in the day there will be hour long line-ups just to get into the shops.

6. Next grab lunch at Three broomsticks. Hopefully it’s just before noon, and you will be avoiding the lunch crowd. If you missed a butter beer, have it here with your lunch.

7. After lunch ride Flight of the Hippogrith and Dragon’s Challenge, you can express pass both of them.

8. Now enjoy the rest of the park with your Express Passes!

There’s my suggestions. The day worked well for us, we got to see everything and we didn’t have too many long waits (importand for us with 3 little ones). There is definately a difference in CM’s. Universals is run mostly by teenagers, and they aren’t as professional as most of the Disney CM’s. But it was a must-do for us to see WWoHP, DS8 is a huge fan, and it’s incredible. The only thing that would make it better is if it was on Disney Property! :happy:

Check out the express pass charts on the Universal Website, it will give you and idea on what days that Universal expects to be busy.

I have never been to Universal, but I am taking my niece on atrip to WDW for her sweet 16th and she is a huge HP fan. My kids and I aren’t really fans at all but I have promised her we wil go for 1 day. Should I really purchase ‘express’ tickets? Are they like fast passes?