I need info on Star Wars Weekend

Our trip will include the first SWW. What can I expect? I’m not interested in photos or anything, I’m just planning to be on hand for when my DD says the kids have had enough. Take them away. Actually I think the 2 yr old will not want to wait but the 7yr old will. Will the park be so packed we won’t be able to move? My plan is …DGD don’t you want to go back to the room and we’ll get ice cream… I just want to be prepared. Any [U]helpful[/U] tips? (just added that for Cavey, we know all the helpful stuff he’ll add. :rolleyes: :tongue:)

Before you know it, summer will be here and hopefully that equals plenty of time to visit Walt Disney World Resort. If you or your online friends are deciding on a time to visit, keep in mind the Force-filled fun in store during Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park.

Star Wars Weekends is an annual event that celebrates the Star Wars film saga and the hit animated TV series Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It’s been presented for more than a decade at Walt Disney World and seems to grow every year. In fact, Star Wars Weekends is the largest gathering of Star Wars characters found anywhere. Along with favorites like Darth Vader, Chewbacca, Ahsoka Tano, Greedo, Queen Amidala and Boba Fett, Mickey Mouse even gets in on the fun, dressing as a Jedi just for the event. (And Minnie Mouse looks quite stylish in her Princess Leia dress and honeybun hairstyle.)

During the event, the park hosts special shows and parades, Q&A sessions with Star Wars celebrities, and multiple photo and autograph opportunities. You also can get your hands on some limited-edition merchandise and one-of-a-kind memorabilia that has been created just for the event.

The dates for the 2012 Star Wars Weekends are:
May 18-20
May 25-27
June 1-3
June 8-10
Star Wars Weekends is included with regular admission to the theme park.
Here’s a video that highlights some of the other galactic goodies that await you:

Need some tips for enjoying Star Wars Weekends? We asked one of our resident “Obi-Wanna-Bes” for some advice on navigating the galaxy. Here are a few:

1. For this event, instead of your kids collecting character autographs in a traditional Disney autograph book, why not try a toy lightsaber instead? With a few Sharpie autographs, it becomes a collectible toy that still can be enjoyed and admired when the little ones get home. (And, the toy lightsabers collapse, so they can be easily stored when the playtime is over.)

2. Star Wars celebrities and some of the creative folks who bring the saga to life make special appearances each weekend. If you want to get autographs from these celebrities, plan to arrive first-thing in the morning and look for the queue that corresponds to the Star Wars celebrity you want to meet. Celebrity meet-and-greet times are designated for Guests each morning, so you will need to arrive early and plan to wait a bit for the times to be given out to you and everyone else in that queue.

3. Stay until the end of the day for the “Hyperspace Hoopla.” It’s a dance party like no other. The show is original and different each year and is written and produced specifically for Star Wars Weekends. Each year is a surprise, but it’s safe to say that you’ll see Star Wars characters like you’ve never seen them before. For example, past “Hyperspace Hooplas” have featured Darth Vader dancing like Michael Jackson (complete with a sequined glove) and Chewbacca doing his best “Footloose” dance to the 1980s pop hit.

4. Don’t forget about boarding a Starspeeder 1000 for a one-of-a-kind
    adventure on “Star Tours: The Adventures Continue.” The 3-D attraction just opened last year and has more than 50 story combinations you can experience. Using flight-simulator technology, you can fly through the galaxy, across the desert or even take a trip underwater. And it’s all in eye-popping and state-of-the-art, 3-D.

5. If you’re interested in the lineup of event-exclusive merchandise, you’ll need to arrive early to secure some of the best bounty. Special merchandise locations are set up just for Star Wars Weekends to give Guests a wide variety.
    Will you be traveling with us to a galaxy far, far away? Stay tuned as we will be sure to update you on details as they are released. And, we’ll follow up with some more tips from our “Obi-Wanna-Be” expert as we get closer to the event.

InsidEARS: Star Wars Weekends at Walt Disney World Resort - YouTube

Every year I look forward to watching on Youtube the Star Wars dance off. It is so funny. I would definitely recommend checking that out in person.

Like you, I have to wait for youtube to see the Hypersace dance off. I would love to finally see it in person - one day I will. :))

jo-jo -
I would think like with any special event, getting there early and doing the best they have to offer is always wise.

Get a spot for Hyperspace dance off as early as possible to enjoy the entire show. I am looking forward to your report, so please take lots of pictures!

Wear comfortable shoes. Drink plenty of water. Use sunscreen. That’s my advice.

[QUOTE=Dana;1106856]Like you, I have to wait for youtube to see the Hypersace dance off. I would love to finally see it in person - one day I will. :))

jo-jo -
I would think like with any special event, getting there early and doing the best they have to offer is always wise.

Get a spot for Hyperspace dance off as early as possible to enjoy the entire show. I am looking forward to your report, so please take lots of pictures![/QUOTE]

Dana, I’m sorry, my TR of the hyperspace dance off might be seeing my feet heading toward the exit gates.:laugh::laugh: My DD wants to see it, so I may end up taking the kids back to resort (pool at BCV will make them happy) or seeing the little mermaid show 3 times.

Cavey, already have plans of making good use of the stroller to carry a few frozen bottles of water, along with semi-frozen bottles. No room for child, just water bottles. The reason we are going at this time span is I wanted to see the Flower show. But we couldn’t go in March (DGD dance recital), didn’t want to hit Easter, late April/early May DGS is will be born…so we are doing the last week of the flower show. The fact that it’s SWW time is a side perk for DD and kids.

I’m one of the coordinators for SWW, so any additional questions, feel free to PM me

Can you fly me in for a guest appearance? You may need someone to “help” Vadar at the last minute or maybe need me to help you or watch you coordinate. I could give you feedback and make you better at your job…:laugh: I work hard and won’t be a problem. I don’t eat much and will do your laundry:heart:

I think he should take you up on this! :laugh: I mean, LAUNDRY! Who could refuse that?

You forgot to add “and can spot a shoplifter a mile away”.

This is true. To many years in retail in no-so-great neighborhoods has taught me to think everyone is a kleptomaniac even while at the happiest place on Earth.

See Rowdy! I CAN be useful to you! I can watch you work, do your laundry, cook, assist Vadar and catch shoplifters…it will only cost you a plane ticket and a place to crash - X that last statement. I will sleep on Star Tours in between doing all the above or maybe Rockin’ Rollercoaster needs a test driver…yeah, I would be all for it!

[QUOTE=Dana;1106935].

See Rowdy! I CAN be useful to you! I can watch you work, do your laundry, cook, assist Vadar and catch shoplifters…it will only cost you a plane ticket and a place to crash - X that last statement. I will sleep on Star Tours in between doing all the above or maybe Rockin’ Rollercoaster needs a test driver…yeah, I would be all for it![/QUOTE]

There still persist the problem of a plane ticket. Lest we forget, I’m a CM, and CMs get paid squat to purchase things :tongue:

Can’t mickey fly me in as a Star Wars Weekend Special guest? kidding aside, have a great time. I will get there for that one day. Hope to catch up with you in August. :heart:

Been many times. Part will be busier but not horrible. Lots of fans in contume.

The parade is a must. Lots of SW fans in costume and some are REALLY good. There are plenty of things to see and the kids really have a great time.

Make sure to be there for the rope drop. Storm troopers guarding the gate have a bit and it’s pretty cute.

Fast Passes will go like crazy. Last year I got in Friday AM about 10:30 or so and check out the return time for Toy Story…Yes that’s PM!!!

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1107018]Been many times. Part will be busier but not horrible. Lots of fans in contume.

The parade is a must. Lots of SW fans in costume and some are REALLY good. There are plenty of things to see and the kids really have a great time.

Make sure to be there for the rope drop. Storm troopers guarding the gate have a bit and it’s pretty cute.

Fast Passes will go like crazy. Last year I got in Friday AM about 10:30 or so and check out the return time for Toy Story…Yes that’s PM!!![/QUOTE]

Yes, we plan for rope drop. One of the joys of staying at BCV, we can walk and KNOW it will take 15 -20 min, not wondering when the bus will pull up.

That fast pass time would be perfect for me. Plenty of time for a nice long afternoon nap. :laugh:

Side story about the boat transporatation from Epcot to HS. A few yrs ago, we were leaving epcot and we decided to take the boat. We waited and waited and waited. Another family started expressing their concern that they were going to miss their ADR at the BC. They had no idea it was two mins away walking. A couple of dozen people pointed them in the right direction.

Yeah, I work with a young woman who finished the college program last year. She’d never eaten at a WDW full service restaurant, because of the cost. She told me PB&J were the most common meal for her and her friends.