I think my plans may change just a little

My dad called me at 6:15 am today:eek:. He said that he has been thinking and doesnt want me to drive to FL in Dec with 3 kids by myself. I told him that I would be ok and good to go but he told me to get online and start looking for airline tickets!!! There is a catch to all this:glare: I need to take my mom:glare:
If anyone remembers back in 2007 when I took her? Lets just say I rather take a group of 500 cheerleaders:laugh:

So I was looking a few days ago and they are way too expensive so I figured that gas is only $300 RT in my car so I was going to go that route.

I called DVC to see if there was any avail for a 1bd that held 5 people and no luck. So now what should I do? If we were to fly we would need ME and I cant get 5 poeple on ME for a 4 person room but I was thinking of just getting her a ticket and having her stay in the room and not being on the ressie. If I did that and still flew I would need to get a rental car.

What should I do? Just drive and let her stay in the room?

Does anyone have any advise on getting airline tickets so late in the year for the craziest time of the year? I was quoted $2400 for 5 tickets from Philly- orlando

Hi,

Since we live somewhat near each other, my numbers and calculations still say drive. For me (only four tickets) my break-even point is a shade over $4 per gallon of gas. Right now, I’m paying $3.35 on my side of the river, and $3.31 when I’m on your side, so if I’m in the same position, I’d drive

Sorry, forgot about your room question when I wrote the first post.

Unfortunately, I’m not in DVC, so I can’t give any advice on that.

I’m sure you love your mom very much, but I do remember when she went with you the last time and was not your best trip. You’ve been looking forward to this trip for a while now so I say stick to your original plans. Just tell your parents you and the kids are looking forward to the drive and maybe your mom can go with you someother time. Besure to thank dad for the offer though.

:pinch::pinch::pinch::pinch: Too late!!! She just called me!!! She just went and bought her MYW ticket at the Disney store and she bought me $250 Disney gift card and 10 pins. NUTS!!! now she has to go!!! I told her its going to be very crowded and whatnot and IF she acts up like last time I swear to MIckey that Im leaving her there!! Heck… I will feed her to the sharks at Sea World on the way home!!!

[QUOTE=Big Al;888943]Hi,

Since we live somewhat near each other, my numbers and calculations still say drive. For me (only four tickets) my break-even point is a shade over $4 per gallon of gas. Right now, I’m paying $3.35 on my side of the river, and $3.31 when I’m on your side, so if I’m in the same position, I’d drive[/QUOTE]

Hi Al~
I rec your PM and sent ya one back. I think driving is my best bet because gas is only $3.15 right now and I only have a small 4 cylinder chevy HHR so I can get to NC/SC on 1 tank. I did back in Feb.

the good part about staying on property is that she can go back to the room at noon for a break etc, especially if the crowds create stress (which I think that they do for everyone)… Have fun anyway!

My Mom is not a big Disney fan either . . . she likes it and enjoys the kids, but the heat and crowds overwhelm her.

When she starts to get cranky, we put her on a bus either back to the resort or to DTD so at least she can walk in and out of A/C shops.

I learned a loooong time ago the best way to have a Disney vacation is to STOP as soon as the whining begins . . . go back to the room, have a dip in the pool, chill/nap in the room WHATEVER!! Go back to the parks for EMH when the sun isn’t beating on you and the crowds are less.

Is your Mom independent, would she do this by herself? Good thing about my Mom is she knows her limits!

Well, your Mom sounds excited to go . . . GOOD LUCK and PIXIE DUST to you!! :heart:

:ohmy: If Mom has to go, why don’t you suggest she bring a friend along to share the extra room with her!!! If she has a friend , it may take some of the pressure off you! Heck, she can even fly down with her and meet you there:laugh: They may even want to do slightly different things during the day. Good luck!!

Think Newark. It might be the opposite direction up the NJ Tpke from the Philly airports but they always have better fares. I fly in and out visiting my father and always get one way fares for 100-125 each way. I am flying out of Newark on the 24 and meeting my wife in WDW for a 9 night vacation. It was &100 for a one way leg Newark to Orlando. My flight from Savannah GA on the 21st was more expensive at $137. I live 11 hrs from Dad in SC and it is another 4.5 hrs to WDW. 15+ hrs of road time saved means more relax and MOUSE time. :slight_smile: Rich

As for the flying what about AC and sprit.others seem to like them

Tell him, “thanks, but no thanks” Why would you put yourself through that? I would in no way ruin my trip with someone just for free airline tickets…wouldn’t care if it was my own mother. she’s not allowed to go on my trips with me since 97…NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again.

Oh my - lots of problems but on the transportation I agree - driving is less expensive especially now that you have 5 people. At least Mom can take a turn driving(???). Spirit Air (Atlantic City Airport at Pomona) just put out the Dec $9 fares a week or so ago. Not sure of your dates, but it’s worth a look. Spirit Air charges to reserve seat locations and for checked baggage so be sure to add that in.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;888976]My Mom is not a big Disney fan either . . . she likes it and enjoys the kids, but the heat and crowds overwhelm her.

When she starts to get cranky, we put her on a bus either back to the resort or to DTD so at least she can walk in and out of A/C shops.

I learned a loooong time ago the best way to have a Disney vacation is to STOP as soon as the whining begins . . . go back to the room, have a dip in the pool, chill/nap in the room WHATEVER!! Go back to the parks for EMH when the sun isn’t beating on you and the crowds are less.

Is your Mom independent, would she do this by herself? Good thing about my Mom is she knows her limits!

Well, your Mom sounds excited to go . . . GOOD LUCK and PIXIE DUST to you!! :heart:[/QUOTE]

Yes!! very independent! So her is loud trap! last time someone bumped into my nephew and she almost went off the deep end:pinch:

that wont work if she does or not. To be honest that means I would have to deal with her times 2

I looked into Newark,AC & baltimore. Christmas is a very high time to fly

Spirit came in at $1775 for 5 of us which isnt too bad. I may look into that. The only problem is that I would be missing a day because everything coming home is booked.

I did!!! BUt now she went and already bought her ticket for the parks.
This is what I did since I posted this…
I advised her that it is going to be a mad house. IF she “acts” up Im going to leave her there and I dont think Im kidding!!!
She will need to foot it home:laugh:

Those tickets can be saved for a future trip for her, right? or someone else in your family, if you end up killing her before this trip takes place! :ph34r:

hmmmmmmmmmm…:laugh::laugh::laugh: Good idea:ph34r: