I was wondering how the food and atmosphere is at the Yahtsman Steakhouse

One of our favorite restaurants is Le Cellier. I love the filet and I couldn’t even get a lunch reservation. I thought maybe the Yahtsman Steakhouse may be a good alternative for a great steak dinner and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

One of our favorites is Le Cellier too. Love the mushroom filet:wub:

We have been to the Yachtsman and did the enjoy the food and the atmosphere, just wasn’t impressed with the service when we went. But since it is worth 2 credits as compared to LC’s 1 credit, I would prefer LC anytime.

Here is a link to my review/photos for the Yachtsman:
http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/trip-reports/38783-mickeymottos-redhot-adventures-tr-23.html

I just thought about another place you might be interested in. Myboys are big steak eaters and all of them and DH loved the Teriyaki Steak from Kona at the Poly. Might be another good choice for you to think about. It is only 1 TS credit.:happy:

Here is our review and photos of Kona for you:
http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/trip-reports/38783-mickeymottos-redhot-adventures-tr-25.html

Yachtsman Steakhouse is one of our favorite places to dine. We were just there in May 2008 and will be dining there again in Oct 2008 and Dec 2008.

We’ve eaten at Yachtsman’s Steakhouse several times and enjoyed it every time. Food, atmosphere, and service.
Just keep in mind, if you dine there late, that is, after Epcot has closed or DHS has closed, you’re going to have a hard time getting back to your own hotel if you don’t drive. You will have to bus to DTD and from there bus back to your own hotel. Or you’ll be paying for a taxi.

The food is very good as is the atmosphere.

We’ve only eaten there once, but I’d call our experience “mixed.” Personally, I enjoyed my steak, liked the service, and thought the atmosphere was okay. My wife didn’t enjoy her food (I think some kind of seafood), didn’t like the waiter, and wasn’t comfortable with the atmosphere. Hrm. We were very surprised by the other’s reaction.

For the record, we both enjoyed Le Cellier very much.

Bruce

Le Cellier’s atmosphere is wonderful! Its very warm and cozy, and amazingly enough it feels very sophisticated, yet casual… a bit of a contradiction, I know. As I remember it, it was loud (but not in a bad way), busy and bustling! It’s alwaysss full with people, and DELICIOUS foods.

:smiley:

But thats beside the point, I also have never been to the YMSH, and I am very interested in the answers. I heard it was an uncomfortable atmosphere and stuffy.

We have eaten twice at the Yachtsman Steakhouse and enjoyed both meals. The food was good as was the service. While we like a quiet meal and avoid places such as Whispering Canyon, we did not care for the atmosphere at the Yachtsman. It was not stuffy, it just did not feel right.

The food is not as good, but if you are over at the Y&B, the Big River Grill over at the BWI is also good. More casual and the food and service was good.

[QUOTE=mickeymotto;859564]One of our favorites is Le Cellier too. Love the mushroom filet:wub:

We have been to the Yachtsman and did the enjoy the food and the atmosphere, just wasn’t impressed with the service when we went. But since it is worth 2 credits as compared to LC’s 1 credit, I would prefer LC anytime.

Here is a link to my review/photos for the Yachtsman:
http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/trip-reports/38783-mickeymottos-redhot-adventures-tr-23.html[/QUOTE]

That was an excellent review! Thank you for taking the time to write it and add photos.

I had to add: your boys have certainly grown since the photo in your avatar!! :laugh:

I probably should have given some details about this and how my wife felt…

We went there before the dress code was in effect and came directly from a brutally hot day at Epcot. My wife felt that we were very underdressed (frankly, that doesn’t bother me at WDW) and noticed that we were among the few people in the restaurant with kids. Of course, we were seated in the exact middle of the restaurant, so she also felt like we were on display.

Our waiter was VERY professional, but my wife found him to be “not friendly.”

While I didn’t agree with her, I know where she’s coming from. We’ve eaten at Artist Point many, many times and our experience has always been quite a bit different from our one meal at Yachtsman’s.

Bruce

We thought the same thing, that because we couldn’t get into LC, we would look for the next best steak. The reviews I read were good, especially about the steak (I am drooling over the thought of the Chateau Briand…but we also will have kids, and are going with a friend and his kid…well, we will just have to see. I believe we are driving, Soundgod, for that reason, and we will be coming from a water park, so we will shower and get dressed in fresh clothes before we go. I hope it is good, for 2 TS credits, I am missing another breakfast with Mickey! I will post a review when we return!

Le Cellier is more popular, but you have to factor in the small dining room and the fact that it’s an expensive meal for a single credit restaurant (more bang for the buck). So, more people want to go there, and the word of mouth on these forums is insane since the MYW dining plans started a few years back. That is what makes getting reservations there so difficult, especially in September during free dining.
The only thing I can figure out why so many people are neutral about Yachtsman’s is that it’s more upscale in presentation and atmosphere than the average Disney guest cares for, along with their higher prices. Also, Yachtsman’s has larger steak portions.

As for driving, in the past, I have parked my car at the resort we plan to be eating dinner and then grabbed a bus to the park from there, just so we’d have our car later and avoid a long trip “home”.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;860277]Le Cellier is more popular, but you have to factor in the small dining room and the fact that it’s an expensive meal for a single credit restaurant (more bang for the buck). So, more people want to go there, and the word of mouth on these forums is insane since the MYW dining plans started a few years back. That is what makes getting reservations there so difficult, especially in September during free dining.
The only thing I can figure out why so many people are neutral about Yachtsman’s is that it’s more upscale in presentation and atmosphere than the average Disney guest cares for, along with their higher prices. Also, Yachtsman’s has larger steak portions.[/QUOTE]

And that’s a BAD thing? I went to California Grill and felt it was more uptight than most other restaurants, I did not care for its atmosphere…with children. Would have been better just adults; but on the other hand, thought Narcoosees was Fine with kids, and probably the best meal I have had at WDW…go figure!

Still hoping YSH will impress…glad to have the info, though, so we will know what to expect.

It is when there are far more people trying to eat there than are actually able to.

No, I meant that YSH is more upscale than others…

You could try the Kona Cafe’ at the Poly. We had the filet there last summer and it was delicious. Service was very attentive. I enjoy the atmosphere there, but I like to people watch and am quite easily pleased.

We had dinner here back in 2006, and thought that the food and atomsphere were very good! We were 6 and everyone enjoyed their meal! Dessert was yummy too!! My MIL was part of the group and when we went back down in 2007 they went back again and enjoyed dinner that time too!!