I wasn't gonna

…but I have to say a few things about our trip.

We did a lot of things we hadn’t done before. Things like getting up when we felt like it. We had breakfast most of the mornings at Olivia’s. We liked that place but only ever had breakfast there. We recommend it :heart:

We moseyed into the parks way past 10 in the mornings :ohmy:
“In the olden days” I used to have to be there when the gates opened. I didn’t feel like that this time around. Maybe that’s because we have been there enough times to feel that we can relax.

1. We ate at October Fest as part of the Candlelight Processional and I must say, the food there was really good this time. They changed their menu and are serving original foods. Very well prepared foods. Which wasn’t the case when we had lunch there in 2009. I talked with our server about it and she said that they had a total re-work of the kitchen/menu/chefs.
    It shows. This was fabulous. However, I know that our Llama loved the almond cookies there and they were nowhere to be found.

Mike and I both felt that the food at WDW all around was improved

1. We have always had great service at the resorts and in the stores as well as very friendly and fun CM’s at the attractions. This time around, they topped themselves. We had the most fun bus drivers, really fun servers and fun attraction CM’s

2. I think the CM’s at OKW are the best. Really. We loved everything about them :happy:

3. OKW is not a resort I would ever stay at again. it is too big. We spent much of our travel time on the bus around that resort.

In 10 days we got towels - once. Then, when I questioned that with the concierge, they said there would be someone up to clean the room the next day. The housekeeper stopped by the next day around 5 PM. Mike wasn’t feeling well, he was getting a cold, so I sent them on their way and took some tp. The day after that, we got a phone message from housekeeping telling us that they would be by the next day to clean. They didn’t come and by then, it was our last day anyway, so too little too late.

This isn’t a problem, we aren’t messy people and we re-use towels… but I kinda wanted what I was promised.

Our room was pretty dirty when we checked in and I will let them know about that in a little note.
Neither Mike nor I have hair on our heads longer than 2 inches. We had 8 inch long black hairs stuck everywhere. On the kitchen counter, the door to the balcony, the night stand. More hair than I care to see if it’s not mine. The bathroom floor was sticky so I put towels on the floor, making a path.

1. The parks were somewhat crowded but all the rides including Toy Story Mania were complete walk-ons in the middle of the day.

2. Hollywood Studios is fast becoming my favorite park, beating MK. The Streetmosphere there is just wonderful. So much fun.

3. The New Fantasyland - very nice detail work. Totally just for the under 10 crowd.
    We saw it once at night and once during the day. I don’t think that I ever have to wander over to that part of the park again.

4. the Fantasmic dinner package is a great deal. At Brown Derby, we chose an appetizer, an entree and a dessert off the regular menu for $ 59 per person and then a little extra for the show. Mike’s entree alone was $ 42. It was a very good deal and we really enjoyed the food at the Brown Derby.

Our flight home from Chicago to Traverse City was cancelled. We needed to get home, so we opted not to wait until the next evening 9PM to catch the only other flight home. We rented a car and drove the 6 hours. This is now becoming a problem because we still don’t have our luggage back. In that luggage is my iPad charger. Most of our pictures are on that iPad which is red lining :laugh:

Two more thoughts, more personal than anything but I upgraded our flights to first class and that was a super deal as well. for $ 100 more, we got free luggage transport, free booze, a nice lunch, a blanky, a pillow. what can I say, that’s the way to go for me now because I am sick of feeling like cattle

first time for us taking the ME. Never again. Again the sick, cattle like feeling. OMG!!! :nuke:
Quicksilver, we will be back

Sounds like the kind of trip Paul and I would take these days Iris. I love how laid back and restriction free it all sounded, and that you did some different things this time around.
Definitely let them know about the state of the accommodation that is totally unacceptable, and the lack of housekeeping generally needs addressing too.
Upgrading to first class sounds amazing- that only ever happened to us once on Virgin and that was a fabulous experience too. But I am sad to hear your luggage is still not with you. This tends to happen when flights get cancelled and it does turn up but not immediately.
Thanks for the mini TR though, really interesting.

[QUOTE=Dopey;1126801]5. The parks were somewhat crowded but all the rides including Toy Story Mania were complete walk-ons in the middle of the day.

1. Hollywood Studios is fast becoming my favorite park, beating MK. The Streetmosphere there is just wonderful. So much fun.

2. The New Fantasyland - very nice detail work. Totally just for the under 10 crowd.
    We saw it once at night and once during the day. I don’t think that I ever have to wander over to that part of the park again.

3. the Fantasmic dinner package is a great deal. At Brown Derby, we chose an appetizer, an entree and a dessert off the regular menu for $ 59 per person and then a little extra for the show. Mike’s entree alone was $ 42. It was a very good deal and we really enjoyed the food at the Brown Derby.

Our flight home from Chicago to Traverse City was cancelled. We needed to get home, so we opted not to wait until the next evening 9PM to catch the only other flight home. We rented a car and drove the 6 hours. This is now becoming a problem because we still don’t have our luggage back. In that luggage is my iPad charger. Most of our pictures are on that iPad which is red lining :laugh:

Two more thoughts, more personal than anything but I upgraded our flights to first class and that was a super deal as well. for $ 100 more, we got free luggage transport, free booze, a nice lunch, a blanky, a pillow. what can I say, that’s the way to go for me now because I am sick of feeling like cattle

first time for us taking the ME. Never again. Again the sick, cattle like feeling. OMG!!! :nuke:
Quicksilver, we will be back[/QUOTE]

…how were you seats for the Fantasmic package? We haven’t done it in years…because our seats (section) were off on the side …not the best place…it was nice that we were able to come in a back way, but we didn’t have a good view at all…

…also…we have always used ME since it started…and never had any issues with it…just curious why it was a mess this time…I’ve heard others say the same thing…I guess we have been lucky…easy on the bus, first or second stop to drop off every time…again…just curious…we don’t rent a car so if ME gets bad, we will have to go back to paying for Mears…

[QUOTE=smallworld;1126806]…how were you seats for the Fantasmic package? We haven’t done it in years…because our seats (section) were off on the side …not the best place…it was nice that we were able to come in a back way, but we didn’t have a good view at all…

…also…we have always used ME since it started…and never had any issues with it…just curious why it was a mess this time…I’ve heard others say the same thing…I guess we have been lucky…easy on the bus, first or second stop to drop off every time…again…just curious…we don’t rent a car so if ME gets bad, we will have to go back to paying for Mears…[/QUOTE]
Hi :smile: we had no issues other than the feeling like cattle, crying babies the entire way to and from the airport. The bus stuffed to the gills. Nice bus, nice drivers both ways.
Mike and I just don’t travel like that. We have always used Quicksilver and that’s where we will go back to :wink:

The seats at the theater were off to the side. We had absolutely no problem with that since they project on 3 different screens - one for each section.

[QUOTE=Dopey;1126798]2. We have always had great service at the resorts and in the stores as well as very friendly and fun CM’s at the attractions. This time around, they topped themselves. We had the most fun bus drivers, really fun servers and fun attraction CM’s

1. I think the CM’s at OKW are the best. Really. We loved everything about them :happy:

2. OKW is not a resort I would ever stay at again. it is too big. We spent much of our travel time on the bus around that resort.

In 10 days we got towels - once. Then, when I questioned that with the concierge, they said there would be someone up to clean the room the next day. The housekeeper stopped by the next day around 5 PM. Mike wasn’t feeling well, he was getting a cold, so I sent them on their way and took some tp. The day after that, we got a phone message from housekeeping telling us that they would be by the next day to clean. They didn’t come and by then, it was our last day anyway, so too little too late.

This isn’t a problem, we aren’t messy people and we re-use towels… but I kinda wanted what I was promised.

Our room was pretty dirty when we checked in and I will let them know about that in a little note.
Neither Mike nor I have hair on our heads longer than 2 inches. We had 8 inch long black hairs stuck everywhere. On the kitchen counter, the door to the balcony, the night stand. More hair than I care to see if it’s not mine. The bathroom floor was sticky so I put towels on the floor, making a path.[/QUOTE]

We too thought the cm’s at OKW were outstanding. Very helpful most of the time. I agree with that bus ride around the resort. Must be a better way of doing it. As you know we too had a dirty and worn out room. Someone suggested that when you rent points that’s what you get. If so, that’s not a very good way of getting future owners interested. Very pretty resort, but we won’t be back. Hope you get your luggage soon. You must be running out of underwear by now. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dopey;1126807]Hi :smile: we had no issues other than the feeling like cattle, crying babies the entire way to and from the airport. The bus stuffed to the gills. Nice bus, nice drivers both ways.
Mike and I just don’t travel like that. We have always used Quicksilver and that’s where we will go back to :wink:

The seats at the theater were off to the side. We had absolutely no problem with that since they project on 3 different screens - one for each section.[/QUOTE]

Oh I wouldn’t like that bus ride either…I guess we’ve just always been lucky with it…DD an I even spread out across the aisle it’s been so empty…I understand your dislike of it then…

We sat on the side for the dinner package with Fantasmc too…but this was some years ago…there wasn’t any side screens that I recall…we saw everything on an angle…We said then it wasn’t worth the extra money…but after waiting in a line out down the street to get in this past time, it’s worth reconsidering…the line was back down to the Brown Derby…

Thanks. :happy:

Thanks…

1. The OKW CM’s ARE the BEST - hands down.

2. OKW is large. I had the same feeling the first time I stayed there, but there was a time when it was almost the only resort available to DVC members - once I got used to it I loved it - still love it. I know the area I want to stay in and I don’t deviate from it. We’re not huge pool fans, so never use the main pools and as we have always have a car, that makes a huge difference.

3. Judging from remarks I’ve read here recently, it’s time WDW sat down with their housekeeping staff and had a re-vamp. Dirty rooms are never acceptable. We’ve never had a dirty room - just a “tired” room, once at SSR. This is not a reputation WDW wants to have.

4. I am so sad about the almond cookies.:crying: I looked for them last time and they were gone. It is up to you Iris, to find that recipe.

5. I’m so glad you had a good time! Relaxing and enjoying is the best way to do WDW. So sorry Mike got sick. Hope you get your luggage soon!

Iris -

I am so happy that you decided to do this. I was so curious about your vacation and am thrilled you and Mike had a nice relaxing time. I am sad about your room not being clean as that is never acceptable to be for any reason no matter where you stay. OKW does have some pretty fabulous CMs. I think they made a trip or two more magical just because of how fabulous they truly are.

You have given me the urge to upgrade me seats for January. I won’t do it because I have that Wishes cruise to pay for, but man am I tempted.

Thanks for reporting!

Sorry we didn’t meet up…

[QUOTE=Dopey;1126801]
first time for us taking the ME. Never again. Again the sick, cattle like feeling. OMG!!! :nuke: [/QUOTE] :blink: Please tell me this isn’t what ME is like?

Everyone has a different experience with all things Disney. Unfortunately, it sounds like Dopey got the worst of the ME service. I don’t blame them for going back to another mode of transport! Uggg

We have used ME several times since it started and never had any complaints. We usually have about 8-10 people on the bus. Most of the time, we are the first stop at POFQ. Last time, we were the 2nd stop. We were at POFQ within the hour after getting downstairs to the area where you board.

A long time ago we used Florida Limo—this was before Disney started ME and even before Mears. It got too expensive. We went to Mears but then when ME came out—I consider it a way to save money.

If we find it’s crowded and too hectic, I certainly would consider going back to another form of transport. So far so good. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the report!

I agree about Old Key West. We enjoyed our stay well enough but it is not on my list of favorites. The bus rides always felt super long and I was disappointed with the quick service and bar areas.

However, I do love the setup of the studios there. The room felt much bigger than studios I have stayed in at other DVC resorts.

Karen, I loved the size of the studio as well. Having that little kitchen and a real closet help with that, as well as the 2 beds instead of one. The resort was beautiful. WE were a little disappointed in the bar’s size. But it was fun to sit outside the bar, enjoy a cocktail and watch a movie.

We love using Quicksilver. The drivers are all top notch. It’s part of our vacation to give it a little extra sparkle wherever we go. We don’t really look at the cost as much as in the enjoyment of it all. If I were to count the pennies, I would stay home.

Dana, I am not sure if all it ever takes to upgrade is $100. But if that is so, it is so worth it. Fantastic service and you get something for it besides a more comfortable seating situation.

Loretta, if it really is the case that renters of points get the worn out rooms, that would be a bad way of doing business. I don’t want to believe that this is true.

Janice, I am going to find that recipe. I believe it is shortbread with part of the flour substituted with almond flour and some marzipan. “painted” with egg white before baking and a sprinkling of sugar and almonds should be the recipe. I shall make an effort, just as soon as our Holiday bash is done and bake some to ship to you.

Mike and I had a fantastic time. How can you not? We are happy all around.

First ride of the trip on arrival day, Monorail from Grand Floridian to the Magic Kingdom

Dinner at Citricos

Dessert

A castle and a parade!

[attach]57589[/attach]

[attach]57590[/attach]

[attach]57591[/attach]

I love the pictures of BOG…so pretty.

Your trip sounds lovely…thank you for sharing.

[QUOTE=Dopey;1126848]First ride of the trip on arrival day, Monorail from Grand Floridian to the Magic Kingdom

Dinner at Citricos

Dessert

A castle and a parade!
[/QUOTE]

Eek, those desserts are adorable! What was that?