Ideas?

Besides a coin jar, ebay and a yard sale how do you save extra money? My paychecks are stretched as far as they can go…I am not eating Ramen for 5months…ideas for money making?

I sold things like books, video games…etc…on Amazon. I liked it because I could search ISBN numbers and see how much things were worth. I used to also cut coupons a lot but now don’t have time. When I did, I could save a lot on my food bill.

Sign up on market research group sites to do focus groups. It’s easy money for a little time. I made 175.00 Wednesday for 2 hrs worth discussion on business travel.

I did that for about a month, and only got accepted in about 20% of the questionnaires. And, then only got a couple dollars for each questionnaire. How did you land the discussion gig?

Dana, not sure about what grocery stores are in your area, but I was able to cut down my grocery bill a lot by researching every one in the area. Meijers and Aldi are my two go to’s. I save at least $20 to $30 a shop versus shopping at Jewel (but, oh do I Love Jewel and miss it!)

I have a portion of each paycheck direct deposited to a separate savings account. If we don’t “see” it we can’t “spend” it.

I do the same thing Big Al, as well as the coin jar and ebay. But I’ve become disciplined in putting all $1.00 bills and loose change into the jar…

No matter what, if there is a dollar or loose change hanging out, it goes in.

Another thing you can do is “flip” vinylmation on ebay. Buy a case and then sell each one of the vinylmations for $1.50 above the original price (plus shipping). Plus, in most cases, you can fetch anywhere from $36 up to $50 (or more) for the chaser, depending on the type of vinylmation and if it’s really popular. Sometimes, if there are really popular characters in the mix, you can get $19.95 - $25 for them too (non chasers). You see, if someone only wants a particular character from the bunch, they’ll be willing to shell out the extra $$ instead of purchasing multiple blind boxes to find the character they’re looking for.

Now this can be a little time consuming w/ taking a picture of each one of them on top of packaging & shipping, but you can make anywhere from $50 (usally $80 average) well past $100 per case (such as Star Wars) if you do it right…

The post office is right around the corner from my office so it’s really easy for me to stop in at break or on lunch and ship the little buggers off… The money does add up and it definitely helps to enhance your bottom line at Disney… :cool:

[QUOTE=Big Al;1069983]I have a portion of each paycheck direct deposited to a separate savings account. If we don’t “see” it we can’t “spend” it.[/QUOTE] -

This is a good idea. We do this - I don’t even have my bank card to that account in my purse - that way I’m never tempted to take it out in an “emergency”.

Gosh, Dana, I know the feeling… When we moved I sold a lot of stuff on Kijiji - it was good because it was local and didn’t involve any shipping. You already work so hard and such long hours; I can’t imagine how you’d have any spare time to work at anything else, without collapsing. When I’m trying to save money, I avoid take-out food and drive-thrus and try to cut my food costs. Coupons can be time-consuming, but can save you money.

Slowly adding accounts over time, we now do this in three different accounts. We started it about 5 years ago with a savings account, then a travel account, then a Christmas account. Then I started a Sharebuilder account to buy stock with $20 a week. If you do it slowly, you don’t even see it go and you get used to it. Works great! It is nice to log into an online account every few weeks and see money grow you didn’t even realize you had.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I have the grocery thing down pat and already get money put right into a savings every pay day. I am going to see into the quesionaire thingys and do some hard selling on ebay. Thanks all.

How about collecting cans? lol I am only joking but I actually know people who do this and I suppose if you have the time to collect form family and friends and neighbors it could be profitable. Somewhat…

Seriously, what about a second income like selling Mary Kay, Avon or Pampered Chef? I recently went to a Tastefully Simple party and loved the product so much, I am considering doing it. If I don’t like it, I will not continue after our Disney trip this summer.

I sell old clothes that im not wearing anymore to plato’s closet and that usually pays off too

2 ways we do it- set up a seperate acct for vacations and have $200 a month going into it and set our income tax at single/0, that way they take the most out. We don’t see either so we don’t miss either and at the end of the year we have a nice little nest built up.

Tax refund take a little extra out every year. Our tax refund is our vacation fund.

The two hardest things on the pay check are gas and groceries. If someone can figure out how to trim them and still have a quality of life that could do it.

I round everything up in my check book and add the cents in another area. When I get to $50 I transfer it into the savings account. You would very surprised on how fast it adds up!

I bottle awesomeness and sell it.

[QUOTE=Caseys Corner;1070070]Tax refund take a little extra out every year. Our tax refund is our vacation fund.

The two hardest things on the pay check are gas and groceries. If someone can figure out how to trim them and still have a quality of life that could do it.[/QUOTE]

Tax refund is how most of this gets paid for. I am now just trying to save the spending money. Gas and groceries are tough…it’s not like you can go without eating or driving…lol

Sell me some and I’ll mark it up and make a profit…lol

Drug testing for medical research :blow:… Sell a kidney :eek:… LOL… Actually how about something fun, my DW use to sell Pampered Chef for extra cash…

Sell your Harley and buy DVC. Oh wait, that was me, today… :frowning: But, hey, I am gonna make a DVC appointment! :slight_smile:

we do rumage sales, round up in the checkbook, overtime, coupons, and yes aluminum cans(for the kids) I save all my cans I use at work for lunch and give it to the girls. Oh and I am thinking of selling firewood for campers at the local park this summer since I had several trees come down this winter.