Identification for kids at Disney

An alternative to passports for children at WDW is a state issued ID card. As crazy as it sounds, most states (I know LA does) will issue an ID card to anyone with proper paperwork. My 2 year old has one.

It’s funny becuase the ID card looks just like a driver’s license, but it’s has a designation as “ID” and not “DL”. I think we paid about $12 for it.

thank you for the information. while I don’t understand why a two year old needs an ID card, I am sure there are other posters who think it’s a must. Different strokes for different folks and all that. ID at disney world in case of a child getting lost could easily consist a band wore around their hand with your resort, cell phone number and name. Children should be schooled at EVERY age to go directly to a cast member (person wearing a name tag is how I explained it to my DD) and ask for help. A child as young as two will not know to hand this card to someone and CMs will not search a child’s person at all…that could get misunderstood easily. Not to make this a lesson on lost children, but you kinda brought it into thread: Make a meeting place in every single park that children can easily identify if there are older children. If they are young or panic, train them to go directly to a CM for help. Your child should have your cell phone number on his/her person and know to hand this to a CM…you should seriously test run this. The CMs are VERY understanding and actually think it’s great when you do this. I am a prepare for the worse person, so this was something drilled into my child’s head from our very first trip together. We mostly go alone, so her being able to know what to do if she lost me was essential. Just something for you all to chew on…

How about a little Sharpie on the forehead?

Just kidding…

Actually, I am curious about why a toddler would need any ID.

Most hilarious WDW story (now, not then!) – DS wandered off when he was about 6 or so. And we had designated the Sword In The Stone as our designated spot. Well, we panicked, and everyone in the park looked like a criminal, and I was hysterical. We got hold of a CM who called a supervisor, who told us that the kid would turn up eventually and all would be well. We made our way to the Stone, and no DS. A few scary minutes later, minutes that felt like years!, the supervisor told us that DS was found and was en route back to us. He arrived and was very chatty about going to the Stone, but he had been disappointed that we weren’t there as promised.

Moral to the story: When you tell your kids about the meeting spot, be sure to explain to them that they have to WAIT for you there! LOL

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1019092]How about a little Sharpie on the forehead?

Just kidding…

Actually, I am curious about why a toddler would need any ID.[/QUOTE]

Well, for those tots that look older than their age (which there were have been many complaints about, lately), the ID could prove their actual age.

I don’t think I would have my toddler (well, I don’t have one, but if I did) carrying his own ID, though. I’d probably carry it in my wallet so that if he ever became lost, I could whip it out and show security. It’s like the equivalent of carrying around a recent picture. Except little kids change so quickly, the ID would need to be updated frequently.

And then while cruising in the Caribbean, when a passport is not required, photo identification is. If it’s a spur-of-the-moment trip and one does not have time to acquire a passport, they could buy an ID like this.

Then if the toddler wanted to buy a drink… JUST KIDDING!

We get something like that with school pictures each year. They are ID size and have the school picture on them with some very simple information about what to do if your child is missing.

Oh, yeah. We got those when we were in elementary school, as well. It’s been awhile. :laugh:

But I suppose a toddler is not in elementary school, yet.

I try to remember to take a picture on my cell phone of the kids as we set out each day. That way we have a picture of exactly what they look like if they were to become separated from us in the parks including what clothes they actually have on. Now that DD11 has her own cell phone, she knows just to call us, and DS is begging for a phone too, so we may just have to worry about the little one next time if DH breaks down and gets him his own cell phone.

That is such a great idea- I think at times where a child may be missing it would be very hard to try and think rationally what they were wearing, so a photo is an excellent idea.
Also, I think from a safety point of view a cell phone is almost a neccessity today, I know it is over here.

[QUOTE=dixie;1019150]That is such a great idea- I think at times where a child may be missing it would be very hard to try and think rationally what they were wearing, so a photo is an excellent idea.
Also, I think from a safety point of view a cell phone is almost a neccessity today, I know it is over here.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was going to say Dixie. I can’t be sure that I wouldn’t be in full melt down mode if my DD went missing…who the heck can remember anything when they are hysterical?

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1019092]How about a little Sharpie on the forehead?

Just kidding…

Actually, I am curious about why a toddler would need any ID.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I used to do…:laugh:

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1019098]Well, for those tots that look older than their age (which there were have been many complaints about, lately), the ID could prove their actual age.

I don’t think I would have my toddler (well, I don’t have one, but if I did) carrying his own ID, though. I’d probably carry it in my wallet so that if he ever became lost, I could whip it out and show security. It’s like the equivalent of carrying around a recent picture. Except little kids change so quickly, the ID would need to be updated frequently.

And then while cruising in the Caribbean, when a passport is not required, photo identification is. If it’s a spur-of-the-moment trip and one does not have time to acquire a passport, they could buy an ID like this.

Then if the toddler wanted to buy a drink… JUST KIDDING![/QUOTE]

Excellent points…especially the drink…lol

I’m certain that I would be in full melt down mode if one of my kids wandered away from us in WDW. I know me, and I know without a doubt (and my poor DH does too) that I would be hysterical.:blush::laugh:

One year we saw a mom running frantically through Adventureland screaming her child’s name. I felt helpless, so I can only imagine how she felt. I wanted to help her so badly; my father-in-law and I both stopped and watched her and looked at each other saying what can we do. Others approached her, and we noticed she was speaking Spanish to them. Unfortunately, we are not bilingual, so we knew at that point we couldn’t do anything. We watched and a CM brought her child to her within just a minute or two, but if felt like a much longer time. I know for that mom it must have felt like hours, and she probably aged a few years too. Bless her heart.

My friend is tall and her husband is too and one of their children is extremely tall for her age. At 2 and a half her feet were dragging on the ground while she was in her stroller. She is only 6, one year older than my middle child and she is literally twice the size as her. She thinks my children are babies and we try to explain they are just 1 and two yrs respectively younger than her. My girlfrind could have used an ID card, she had such a hard time the last time she went to the World before her daughter turned 3.

I can only imagine. It’s a shame that so many people have unforutnately abused the system and have forced them to accuse or question children’s ages. I went through the same thing before DD turned 10…they kept asking her how old she was…lol It was a bit silly. I would rather pay the different price that deal with that. A copy of the child’s birth certificate could also be used for this purpose and cost far less than a state ID.

[QUOTE=missymouse;1019171]I’m certain that I would be in full melt down mode if one of my kids wandered away from us in WDW. I know me, and I know without a doubt (and my poor DH does too) that I would be hysterical.:blush::laugh:

One year we saw a mom running frantically through Adventureland screaming her child’s name. I felt helpless, so I can only imagine how she felt. I wanted to help her so badly; my father-in-law and I both stopped and watched her and looked at each other saying what can we do. Others approached her, and we noticed she was speaking Spanish to them. Unfortunately, we are not bilingual, so we knew at that point we couldn’t do anything. We watched and a CM brought her child to her within just a minute or two, but if felt like a much longer time. I know for that mom it must have felt like hours, and she probably aged a few years too. Bless her heart.[/QUOTE]

I think that is a fear every parent has. I would freak out and I wouldn’t be able to think clearly so taking a picture every morning is always a good idea. We only have one child so between the two of us I would hope we could come up with what he was wearing but you never know. If I were ever going to ‘lose’ my child I think Disney would be one of the best place because they seem to react very quickly and getting out of the park would be more difficult than other public places like a mall.

Having a picture ID for my 13 year old son made flying a little smoother.

My brother attached an ID tag on his 3 year old’s shoes with his cell number on it. He just purchased it at the local Petsmart where they have the ID tags for sale.

I do like the idea of taking a picture on your cell phone every morning. Great idea!

heehee, our kids in high school have these id cards with their student number and a picture, about the size of a credit card/ driver’s license. Of course, :laugh: by that age, they can speak for themselves on don’t need rescuing in case they are lost

[QUOTE=missymouse;1019171]
One year we saw a mom running frantically through Adventureland screaming her child’s name. I felt helpless, so I can only imagine how she felt. [/QUOTE]

Hmmm… that actually might have been me!

Most horrible moment: two years ago, we were at the Bardwalk at night, and a kid went missing, His mother and father completely panicked, and there was a huge ruckus as everyone else started to panic too. When the kid wasn’t immeidately found, the mom raced over to the railing to look into the water. My heart almost stopped, because it was such an upsetting thing to have to do…

Kid was found just a few minutes later in the bakery…

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1019260]Hmmm… that actually might have been me!

Most horrible moment: two years ago, we were at the Bardwalk at night, and a kid went missing, His mother and father completely panicked, and there was a huge ruckus as everyone else started to panic too. When the kid wasn’t immeidately found, the mom raced over to the railing to look into the water. My heart almost stopped, because it was such an upsetting thing to have to do…

Kid was found just a few minutes later in the bakery…[/QUOTE]

That is my biggest fear!