If YOU were Disney, What would the big announcement have been?

Okay. So many of us were less than impressed with Disney’s Big Announcement regarding their 2011 marketing this week. Some of us (namely me :blush:) were a bit outraged.

Two questions:

1. What would have the announcement been if you had been in charge?

2. What is your very favorite theme or addition from the past years?

3. What was your least favorite?

Here are mine:

1. I’d like to see a pirate themed marketing strategy. There are two princess themed character dinners you can have. There are a ton of Girlish photo ops. I would like to see a restaurant in MK in a pirate ship with Hook, Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and Mr. Smee.

DH suggested a Hidden Mickey theme. Maybe admission tickets are generated that are coded with hidden Mickey’s for different attractions. Maybe someone’s triggers something at Pirates, someone else might trigger something at Splash Mountain or a restaurant or resort. Also, there could be new Hidden Mickey medallions to search for that would generate surprises. I know in our city there is a winter carnival where people go crazy trying to find a medallion every year.

1. I only have three years of experience going to Disney, so my list to choose from is small, but we LOVED The Year of a Million Dreams in 2007. Our family got to be the family of the day at the Garden Grill. They treated us like royalty! We also noticed the people walking around with the lanyards for free FPs. Our Family of the Day status included one FP and that was the first year of Soarin’ I believe, so we wouldn’t have gotten on it otherwise that year.

2. I had never even been to WDW at the time they covered our beautiful castle in that Hideous Pink, but even I knew that was just wrong. I felt so sorry for the people who had planned their first trip for that year and would not be able to get a picture of the castle in its true glory.

Replacement of Tomorrowland Indy Speedway with new ride similar to the Cars ride in CA (which is based on the TT ride vehicles with a Cars theme).

Or formal announcement of the the Tomorrowland movie with replacement of Stitch with something movie related.

Or a return of a non ad spiel sound track for the People Mover.

There’s a Tomorrowland movie? Bwuh? :huh:

I would have announced a new Epcot country. Or a new type of technology that would blow everyone’s minds, because thats what Walt would have wanted. I don’t know what though, cause dang it Jim, I’m an artist, not an engineer!

Favorite theme was probably YoaMD as well. Even though all we got when I went with my fam were lanyards with yoamd pins on em (one win outta 3 or 4 trips), it was still nice to get SOMETHING, and wonder if we’d get something mindblowing and fantastic. Its nice to get special treatment at all, and Disney was right on target here.

Least favorite, I don’t even know. I haven’t gone since yoamd ended, but I think its gone a bit downhill from there. I dont know if having my mug on the castle will make me feel special. I’ll just feel cheap, like an advertisement.

[QUOTE=tigger;1050736]Replacement of Tomorrowland Indy Speedway with new ride similar to the Cars ride in CA (which is based on the TT ride vehicles with a Cars theme).

Or formal announcement of the the Tomorrowland movie with replacement of Stitch with something movie related.

Or a return of a non ad spiel sound track for the People Mover.[/QUOTE]

In August I noticed they altered the sound track again, “Tom Morrow” was being paged! :laugh:

I don’t mind the new promotion - Disney is ever evolving - we take weekend trips 8x a year, and each trip there is SOMETHING NEW to see!

I like this concept, how many memories do we all have from our trips to Disney (good and bad)! Look at this board for instance there are years and years and years of memories, and we are small percentage.

They still do surprises, like “YOMD” You can still be family of the day, and little “wishes” are granted all the time. We were family of the day at POP!, just last year - it included an upgraded room, a certificate, and turn down service with chocolates on our pillows.

One or two new Epcot countries would be nice.
The addition of major thrill rides in all 4 parks.
A fifth park in keeping with my concept of Disney’s Coaster Kingdom.
Major new attractions aimed at boys 10-20.
Two new major concert venues in Pleasure Island (and a parking structure to deal with the extra traffic)?
The beginning of the ramp up to WDW40 in 2011.

[QUOTE=jen9804;1050735]

1. I had never even been to WDW at the time they covered our beautiful castle in that Hideous Pink, but even I knew that was just wrong. I felt so sorry for the people who had planned their first trip for that year and would not be able to get a picture of the castle in its true glory.[/QUOTE]

I am going to have to think a bit on my list, but as far as the cake covered castle goes, I was there that year and that was my DH’s first trip. I liked it because it was a temporary makeover that was cool to see in person. My kids look at the pictures now and ask when they will do it again because they want to see it in person, too. I know the castle purists hated it but I thought it was fun. Okay, go ahead rip me apart:eek:

I would like to see more added too world showcase, more attractions for Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. They need some more

[QUOTE=jen9804;1050735]Okay. So many of us were less than impressed with Disney’s Big Announcement regarding their 2011 marketing this week. Some of us (namely me :blush:) were a bit outraged.

Two questions:

1. What would have the announcement been if you had been in charge?

2. What is your very favorite theme or addition from the past years?

3. What was your least favorite?

Here are mine:

1. I’d like to see a pirate themed marketing strategy. There are two princess themed character dinners you can have. There are a ton of Girlish photo ops. I would like to see a restaurant in MK in a pirate ship with Hook, Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and Mr. Smee.

DH suggested a Hidden Mickey theme. Maybe admission tickets are generated that are coded with hidden Mickey’s for different attractions. Maybe someone’s triggers something at Pirates, someone else might trigger something at Splash Mountain or a restaurant or resort. Also, there could be new Hidden Mickey medallions to search for that would generate surprises. I know in our city there is a winter carnival where people go crazy trying to find a medallion every year.

1. I only have three years of experience going to Disney, so my list to choose from is small, but we LOVED The Year of a Million Dreams in 2007. Our family got to be the family of the day at the Garden Grill. They treated us like royalty! We also noticed the people walking around with the lanyards for free FPs. Our Family of the Day status included one FP and that was the first year of Soarin’ I believe, so we wouldn’t have gotten on it otherwise that year.

2. I had never even been to WDW at the time they covered our beautiful castle in that Hideous Pink, but even I knew that was just wrong. I felt so sorry for the people who had planned their first trip for that year and would not be able to get a picture of the castle in its true glory.[/QUOTE]

To comment on point number three…we did see that “hideous pink castle” and let me tell you…it scared me. I worried that they would never get the castle back to its original (and in my humble opinion) perfect state. Thankfully, the pink didn’t last long…

I saw the castle on my first two visits to WDW, one in late October 96 and again in November 96, but I swear I can’t remember it for the life of me. It’s like I have a blank space in my memory. Then again, on my second visit (which I hopped all three parks in a few hours) I was more intent on simply getting onto Space Mountain before I moved on back to Epcot.

If I were in charge I would have announced a new park with more thrill rides, of course then I would have to extend my vacations to account for the days needed in the new park! My favorite theme was either YOAMD or the Millennium Celebration. During YOAMD my family and I were sitting in Frontier Land when a Dream Team member started talking to us and then radioed and told whom ever was in “Dream Headquarters” that she had a family. She obvioulsy thought we were about to get something good, because then the man said “that has already be given out” and then she sprinkled us with pixie dust. So, I will forever wonder what we were about to get.

My cousin’s first visit was during the Millennium celebratioin. My brother in law told us we could never get all of the stamps in our passport because there were so many countries in the Millennium Village. So, we set out to prove him wrong, and we did!

I did not get to see the big pink castle. I don’t recall anything that I really disliked anytime I was there.

I love the idea of a pirate themed character dining experience. It is about time to have something a little more rugged and less girlie for the boys and the not so girlie girls.

For obvious reasons, I wish they would have announced that long rumored Texas park:).
My favorite additions are the monster laugh floor, the free day on your birthday promotion although my birthday fell on Easter Sunday and I wasn’t going anywhere near the place that day lol! And pixie hollow because my girls
adore the fairies.
The least faves are stitches escape and the ugly stage in tommorrowland

[QUOTE=jen9804;1050735] Some of us (namely me :blush:) were a bit outraged.

[/QUOTE]

I am just curious, what outraged you?

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1050748]One or two new Epcot countries would be nice.
The addition of major thrill rides in all 4 parks.
A fifth park in keeping with my concept of Disney’s Coaster Kingdom.
Major new attractions aimed at boys 10-20.
Two new major concert venues in Pleasure Island (and a parking structure to deal with the extra traffic)?
The beginning of the ramp up to WDW40 in 2011.[/QUOTE]

most certainly a new country or two in epcot.

mine would be a new park in the middle of the country…

Outraged was probably too strong a word :happy:. When I first saw the announcement, I thought that the pics would be covering the castle the whole evening. I guess I assumed that because I can’t imagine how they will get 500 families up there during a short show. TBH, I probably wouldn’t mind it covered with peoples pictures for one trip up there, but I feel bad for the people who only get one shot at a trip if they don’t have a chance to get a clean shot of it at night. From what others are posting, though, I was mistaken and it will only be covered in photos for a special show?

Anyway, I was kind of hoping that a new country was going to be announced in Epcot. Bummed out a little, but kind of liking what I am seeing on the Disney site.

I’m glad there are people who are really excited about this though! :happy:

[QUOTE=jen9804;1050877]Outraged was probably too strong a word :happy:. When I first saw the announcement, I thought that the pics would be covering the castle the whole evening. I guess I assumed that because I can’t imagine how they will get 500 families up there during a short show. TBH, I probably wouldn’t mind it covered with peoples pictures for one trip up there, but I feel bad for the people who only get one shot at a trip if they don’t have a chance to get a clean shot of it at night. From what others are posting, though, I was mistaken and it will only be covered in photos for a special show?

Anyway, I was kind of hoping that a new country was going to be announced in Epcot. Bummed out a little, but kind of liking what I am seeing on the Disney site.

I’m glad there are people who are really excited about this though! :happy:[/QUOTE]

OK, I got’cha. As far as I understand the photos are only part of the nighttime show… probably like 20-25 minutes. I think the castle is normal the whole rest of the night.

[QUOTE=tigger;1050736]Replacement of Tomorrowland Indy Speedway with new ride similar to the Cars ride in CA (which is based on the TT ride vehicles with a Cars theme).

Or a return of a non ad spiel sound track for the People Mover.[/QUOTE]

i always get a kick out of your posts. very clever bro

Can I see a picture of the “hideous” pink castle? Thanks :happy:

Hopefully this link will work, steamboat lily.

25th Anniversary Castle Cake | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I still think they are missing the boat. Forget that it is WDW’s 40th… It is number one in theme park attendance in the whole world. That translates into hotel stays, food, etc… Why are they ignoring it all together? (I think that the big renovation that is planned will be watered down by the time it opens). Plus, then there are 3 other parks that could use something big and new in each one-not a redo of what is already there. I like the upgrades, but that is no reason for a major announcement… They could add a new land in EPCOT,another experience at AK, another ride at HS… etc. I know that Disneyland is the original, but there you have ton of locals coming (no hotel stays, etc…)… so the question is-why does it get all of the attention??? It does not make sense to spend a huge amount of money that will not bring the greatest return… I guess it is easier for the executives to see if it works there-but still…

They can change the food (improve variety), make more stuff for boys, return to random prizes just because you are there, not because it is your birthday or anniversary, etc… people loved that… they can add lands, etc. There was no big announcement last week-
kinda like the boy who cried wolf… next time no one will tune in.