Iger calls D23 expo a success despite big numbers.Want to increase attendance Disney?

Even though the OC Register reported that Disney officials declined to release attendance numbers for the first D23 Expo, Bob Iger already declared the event a success!

Disney president calls expo a success, despite lack of numbers - Around Disney - OCRegister.com

What I don’t understand is if Disney wants to increase attendance for these events, & membership to D23, they really should have done it BEFORE children went back to school. I, for one, would have been there in a heartbeat. I actually really WANTED to go but there is no way in heck I could take off of work as a teacher two weeks after the children came back to school. Not to mention all the hardcore adult Disney fans out there that HAVE children and wouldn’t attend an event like this simply because of the timing.

Maybe it would have sold more tickets if the event was held in August or over Labor Day weekend at the latest? I know I would have been there.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;992379]Even though the OC Register reported that Disney officials declined to release attendance numbers for the first D23 Expo, Bob Iger already declared the event a success!

Disney president calls expo a success, despite lack of numbers - Around Disney - OCRegister.com

What I don’t understand is if Disney wants to increase attendance for these events, & membership to D23, they really should have done it BEFORE children went back to school. I, for one, would have been there in a heartbeat. I actually really WANTED to go but there is no way in heck I could take off of work as a teacher two weeks after the children came back to school. Not to mention all the hardcore adult Disney fans out there that HAVE children and wouldn’t attend an event like this simply because of the timing.

Maybe it would have sold more tickets if the event was held in August or over Labor Day weekend at the latest? I know I would have been there.[/QUOTE]
Good point Jess. I’m surprised they didn’t think of that.

I wonder if they are trying to have the events like Apple does with all of the things that they release every year. You know, big top secret meeting that stirs up the media with all of the anticipation. I wonder then if they were looking at their schedule for what is going on, and this was the weekend that they planned. I agree that summer would be better- but there had to be some crazy reason that we were not aware of… Have southern CA schools gone back yet? I wonder if they were trying to target people so that they are paying attention… Like, schools are all in session now, so people are on their regular schedule for the school year. I bet that Labor Day weekend, less media attention would have been paid- or more people would have missed the news. Although- how could you… this was pretty big news. I wonder why it was not closer to the October 1 usual announcement time…

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;992379]Even though the OC Register reported that Disney officials declined to release attendance numbers for the first D23 Expo, Bob Iger already declared the event a success!

Maybe it would have sold more tickets if the event was held in August or over Labor Day weekend at the latest? I know I would have been there.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I mean… aren’t a large majority of Disney fans families with school-age children? That just wasn’t very smart thinking.

Hmmm… It could be my bad thinking but maybe it was done at this date for a reason??

No clue, I don’t know the reasoning. I am sure there was a reason to choose the dates, I doubt they just pulled them out of the hat & said, “HEY, these look good!”:laugh:

Yeah. But there are other that while they support many programs @ WDW but at the same
time do want some programs to fail.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: It must have been a man!!!

I would really love to see a D23 Expo at Walt Disney World. There are so many east coast Disney fans. They could hold it at Cornado Springs Convention Center. I’m sure it would draw huge numbers.

I would love to see it in other places other than California too. Seems like it would make more sense to hold it in the summer; I think they would really see better attendance.

[QUOTE=FireAngel;992511]Yeah. But there are other that while they support many programs @ WDW but at the same
time do want some programs to fail.[/QUOTE]

huh? I don’t get what you’re saying.

If they had it in WDW and not in DL I think they would have had more people attend. Cali is expensive to visit.

The D23 Expo has been touted as a resurrection (reincarnation) of the old Disneyana convention of the 90’s. That started in CA, and did alternate to WDW. The old convention was held on Labor day weekend / week. Lets hope that they will return to that same time frame.

I have heard of my things while my days at WDW, while some programs are supported all the way like pin trading, some programs like snow birds were not as supported by higher management.:glare: