Illuminations or Fantasmic?

Our upcoming trip is only 4 days long and we are only doing parks on Saturday and Sunday. All day Sunday will be at MK. Saturday will be split between Epcot and HS. I’m debating which one to do first and which one to do second. Our 4 yr old has only seen SpectroMagic and Wishes, so the two listed he has never seen. So do we start at Epcot, then head to HS and catch Fantasmic or start at HS and then do Epcot and catch Illuminations?

I think Fantasmic is only offered 2-3 times a week now, not every night like it used to be. I don’t think there have been any Saturday shows all summer. That could easily change but it’s tough to plan ahead when you don’t know the dates it’s going to happen.

Whichever day Fantasmic is being performed is the day to head to the Studios because it isn’t an every night thing anymore. That’s been scaled way back to only 2 or 3 nights a week and only one show a night. If you’re talking about Sunday August 23, then you’re in luck. There is a show scheduled for 8:30 that night. There are also 2 scheduled on Thursday August 20.
Illuminations is performed every night at 9.
If Fantasmic had been at 7:30, you could race like idiots and actually see both shows in one night. (I have raced like an idiot many times and have even raced like a moron and seen Fantasmic, Illuminations, and Wishes all on the same night but the planets have to be aligned just right and showtimes set at 7:30(F), 9:00(I), and 10:00(W))

August 2009 - Walt Disney World Parades and Fireworks Times

Something else to consider if Spectro is a must, is during non-peak those shows are limited as well.

Seeing Illum & Fan both, I prefer Illuminations. When the kids were younger they did better on that one as well since it’s open viewing where you can walk up to a wall at anytime and they didn’t have to spend 1-2 hours of park time waiting in a line to get inside a theatre and have to sit even longer.
That’s us though.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;983942]
If Fantasmic had been at 7:30, you could race like idiots and actually see both shows in one night. (I have raced like an idiot many times and have even raced like a moron and seen Fantasmic, Illuminations, and Wishes all on the same night but the planets have to be aligned just right and showtimes set at 7:30(F), 9:00(I), and 10:00(W))

August 2009 - Walt Disney World Parades and Fireworks Times[/QUOTE]

YIKES!! :ohmy:

3 in one night is some serious racing! Was that with kids in tow or just adults?

I want to say “who cares? anything Disney is good” :smile:

OMG, Illuminations over Fantasmic any day…just my opinion.

I love Illuminations and have never seen Fantasmic. :blush:

Well it looks like Illuminations it is, simply because of scheduling lol. Luckily Sunday the 23rd is a Spectro night, because that is a must for us, PJ just loves it. And not trying to race and catch Fantasmic too. Perhaps next year!

I love IllumiNations. The musical score is amazing. It is kind of corny with the narration and all, but I still love it.

I do not care for Fantasmic all that much. Some people love it, but I think there’s way too much water projection and not enough explosives.

I’m from the south… the more explosives, the better! :laugh:

Well it sounds like Illuminations will work best for you, and your 4yo will love it! :happy: Illuminations is wonderful. :wub:

I personally am a HUGE Fantasmic fan, but I know some people aren’t as thrilled with it. Disney isn’t exactly making it easy to see these days either, with so few shows. :dry:

glad to hear such great feedback about Illuminations- we’ve never gotten to see it, but this year (unless the schedule changes!) we will be able to catch it! :wub: So there’s no need to find/get to “the” perfect spot to watch? Just about anywhere outside in Epcot will do??

Some spots are much better than others. Look for a place around the water with little to no tree cover. We like the viewing areas between France and UK, there’s an area that you have to go down about ten steps to get to the upper level and about ten more steps for the lower area, very good views. We usually grab our spot 30-45 minutes early, much later if we’re not looking for a front row.

“Most” all are good, just some are better. Unless we wanted to sit down at Mexico (or UK) we’ve walked up around 15-20 till 9 and gotten a decent view.

Thanks so much everyone! We’re really excited about the shows/parades this year~ we’ll get to see Illuminations & Spectromagic for the first time this trip!

[QUOTE=Tiggerific;983948]
3 in one night is some serious racing! Was that with kids in tow or just adults?[/QUOTE]

No kids. In fact, DW didn’t even feel like keeping up.
You also need some serious moves to slip through the crowds and not constantly be banging into everyone or smacking them with my tripod.
Think Gayle Sayers, Walter Payton, or Emmett Smith. Only with much less contact.

There are actually quite a few bad viewing spots!
What you need to do is during the day, as you walk around WS Lagoon, look for clear views of the center. If you’re lucky, some of the barges will already be in place, so if you can see them, you’re good. There are three islands with trees that block views. There are also long stretches where trees on the shoreline block views.
So, top of the lagoon between K Mart and WalMart in the wide open plaza area.
Good:
Over by Germany. To the right of lantern 4 by China. The bridge just before Mexico. The plaza area around Italy. The bridge between England and France.
Some of the shoreline by Canada. The border between France and Morocco.
To the right of lantern 1.

It is very important to remember that Illuminations isn’t just a fireworks show. There are very long sections where it’s just the video globe, so if you don’t see it, you’re missing a major part of the show. The same goes for the Inferno Barge at the beginning of the show.

We’re going Aug. 15-23, and we were thrilled to see that they recently increased the Fantasmic showings to 2 on the night we were planning to be there (I think they added a later show). We’re hoping this will help to thin out the crowd for Fantasmic quite a bit that night! We love Fantasmic but haven’t seen Illuminations in years. I’m hoping the kids will be able to make it this year!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;984012]
So, top of the lagoon between K Mart and WalMart in the wide open plaza area.[/QUOTE]
:laugh::laugh::laugh:ROF

I don’t remember where I heard the twin stores called that, but it stuck and that’s what I call them. And it doesn’t matter which is which.