Illuminations

Does anyone know if Le Cellier Steakhouse is a good place to watch Illuminations?

No, not really. Canada doesn’t have the best views and you can’t watch it from Le Cellier.

Absolutely not!
You need to find a place with a clear view of the water from the shore with no trees overhead.
But Canada’s area does have good views, between the Friendship landing and the big rocks to the right.

The Rose and Crown’s outside eating area has great views - but the food’s not great (IMHO)

IMHO if anyone here on MB should have the honor of providing the final rating of the food at R&C it is you and our other UK buzzer’s. 'nough said.:laugh:

You can also view Illuminations from Tokyo Dining (ask for a windows seat) in the Japan Pavilion and La Hacienda de San Angel (again, need a window seat).

Thank you P&R we accept the responsibility ( I think) :laugh::heart:

Kid’s love Yorkshire Fish Shop, R&C is good for the Pub and the view:happy:

Yes, you can get window seats, but the only way to get the full effect of a fireworks presentation is not behind a wall of glass that muffles the sound and kills any of the “punch in the gut” of the explosions. Inside, your senses aren’t fully used. You don’t hear the full sound, you don’t feel the force, and you don’t smell the environment.
At Tokyo Dining, sit anywhere and excuse yourself from the table 7 minutes before the start so you can get a good view from the railings. Not sure what to suggest for Hacienda. And let’s not forget that if you ask for a window, you might wind up waiting much longer for your table than if you just get seated at the first open table.

Opinions vary and these are mine.

We ate at Tokyo Dining a few weeks ago…although we were not there to watch illuminations. I would not want to sit there to watch whats going on at Illuminations personally…the trees and the Japananese Torii (archway) seem to block the view from the windows. I guess if you don’t mind missing part of the action and want to be inside it might work but…I certainly wouldn’t.

As Epcot has aged, many of the places we used to view the nighttime displays have become overgrown with bushes and trees. I tell friends to walk around and scope out the best views…I’m not sure that any restaurant is the best view for it…just depends on how much you want to see. :mickey:

Le Cellier is basically a cellar and therefore no views of outside. Canada does not give the best area for viewing either but the bridge between France and the UK is a great place to watch it and also as my bud Dixie has said, the outside eating area for the Rose and Crown is a great place also. I do also agree that the food here is not spectacular and not a fair representation at all of the food that can be found in the UK for real. :happy:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1121540]We ate at Tokyo Dining a few weeks ago…although we were not there to watch illuminations. I would not want to sit there to watch whats going on at Illuminations personally…the trees and the Japananese Torii (archway) seem to block the view from the windows. I guess if you don’t mind missing part of the action and want to be inside it might work but…I certainly wouldn’t.

As Epcot has aged, many of the places we used to view the nighttime displays have become overgrown with bushes and trees. I tell friends to walk around and scope out the best views…I’m not sure that any restaurant is the best view for it…just depends on how much you want to see. :mickey:[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that myself over the past couple of trips. Our #1 viewing spot has turned into a sitdown restaurant (Mexico) and other areas we’ve enjoyed have a restricted view due to growth.
Seems like that happened in MK a few years ago and they cut a lot of trees back.

[QUOTE=smallworld;1121540]We ate at Tokyo Dining a few weeks ago…although we were not there to watch illuminations. I would not want to sit there to watch whats going on at Illuminations personally…the trees and the Japananese Torii (archway) seem to block the view from the windows. I guess if you don’t mind missing part of the action and want to be inside it might work but…I certainly wouldn’t.

As Epcot has aged, many of the places we used to view the nighttime displays have become overgrown with bushes and trees. I tell friends to walk around and scope out the best views…I’m not sure that any restaurant is the best view for it…just depends on how much you want to see. :mickey:[/QUOTE]

A lot of stuff I agree with here. The entire balcony around Japan has more obstructed views than clear views. If you’re in the right(:glare:) place, you’ll never even see the globe because of the arch, though it can be used for interesting effects in stills and video, just not as a primary location. Many people suppose R&C offers good views, but again, there’s more obstruction than you’d think, including other tables that are in front of you. Also, the orientation isn’t optimal because most seating faces the bridge or is at the wrong angle to watch from your seat. R&C has “viewing pens” on the north side of the building, but everyone inside and many from outside will crowd there because that is the better viewing area. Obviously, France, Morocco, Germany, Norway, USA, and Italy have nothing that gives you a view from inside. China has windows in Red Dragon, but they’re small and, well, it’s Red Dragon.

The point about foliage in the park is even more important because that will really affect your viewing experience.
That said, look first around the lanterns, especially 1, 3, 8, 11, 13, and 19.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1121535]Yes, you can get window seats, but the only way to get the full effect of a fireworks presentation is not behind a wall of glass that muffles the sound and kills any of the “punch in the gut” of the explosions. Inside, your senses aren’t fully used. You don’t hear the full sound, you don’t feel the force, and you don’t smell the environment.
At Tokyo Dining, sit anywhere and excuse yourself from the table 7 minutes before the start so you can get a good view from the railings. Not sure what to suggest for Hacienda. And let’s not forget that if you ask for a window, you might wind up waiting much longer for your table than if you just get seated at the first open table.

Opinions vary and these are mine.[/QUOTE]

Chill out, fireworks snob.

Just kidding… I’m actually a bit of a fireworks snob myself, and would never watch inside, myself, because I like a good ground-shaking boom. But I was assuming that this person wants to be able to see the fireworks while eating and that eating was the priority, sound was not.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1121552]…

The point about foliage in the park is even more important because that will really affect your viewing experience.
That said, look first around the lanterns, especially 1, 3, 8, 11, 13, and 19.[/QUOTE]

…I never knew that the lanterns had numbers!!! What you can learn on these boards!!! I’ll write those numbers down and hope I can find them next trip…thanks for that info…

There are 19 lanterns along the shore.
Number 20 is the globe during the finale’.
Bet you can’t guess why 20.

Oh and I think 17 is also good viewing.

To LMM - :tongue:

I personally liked it just next to the fence watching from no where special…seems I was the only person interested in no where special because I had the place to myself and could see perfectly.

Dana where is your no where special because everywhere we end up now it seems to be special…to a lot of people :happy:

To me, nowhere special starts with the decision to not tape. That’s because I’m not trying for a specific visual canvas for a shot. On these nights, I simply look for the closest place to wherever I am where I can get close to the fences and railings and not have an obstructed view. When I had finished taping in standard def until I acquired an HD camcorder and started in again, I would simply walk up wherever I was and watch. It’s always easier if you don’t need to be in place and set up your equipment 15 to 30 minutes early.

Warning! During F&W Fest, especially where the World Showcase entry meets Canada, there are many food booths that block the fencing and the views because they are positioned with their rears to the water so that the service windows are facing the walkway.

If you get a good seat there is no better place to view Illuminations than Rose & Crown. You need arrive early, request it, and tell them you will be willing to wait. It helps to be celebrating something. It’s still not a guarantee you won’t end up in a bad location though. I will disagree on the food although not as strong as my DS would. I love the fish and chips and the steak is good as well. DS thinks it has the best food in the World (my feelings are not as strong) he has made his own ADR’s for two meals there on our next trip. I told him if he wanted to pay, I would gladly eat there.