I'm back! Three wonderful days with Mom

Just got back tonight from Disney. Will start trip report soon, but will leave with some notes:

1. Have a new outlook on wheelchairs. Mom had to use a scooter due to extreme arthritis. There are some very shallow, cold, rude people out there, with very vocal opinions. Shame on them!

2. Had the best sandwich I have ever had in my entire life…at Earl of Sandwich (my first time there!).

3. Never knew I had so much giggling capability. My whole household is boys (even the dog) so going with Mom was such a wonderful experience. We giggled the entire trip!

4. Hats off to Disney. Every Cast Member was a joy, going above and beyond to accomodate Mom. Every ride, store, food. They all were great with her limitations.

5. Still crowded. It was a wierd trip in a way that the sidewalks and walkways were so crowded, but then went in Haunted Mansion with only 10 minute wait. It was like no one were on the rides, but were just “walking.” (And banging into Mom’s scooter!)

6. Beautiful weather. 83 degrees, fluffy clouds in the sky and light breeze. Perfect days, weather wise.

7. Connecting rooms. Had one this time (not with anyone we knew, just kept the door locked), with a very loud family, screaming at each other in the morning. You can’t believe how loud it can be. I’m assuming the connecting door is not insulated.

8. Recommend taking a trip with Mom’s, Dad’s, Grandma’s, Grandpa’s, etc. You take such a different look at Disney through their eyes, at a slower pace. Just an absolute wonderful memory!

Welcome back! Can’t wait to hear more! :happy:

(and ugg… I can’t imagine navigating through crowds in a wheelchair/scooter!)

Welcome back! Can’t wait to read a TR and hopefully see some pictures. When I took my mom in Dec so many people were rude when she had a scooter. I don’t understand why people would just walk right into it. If you see someone with a disablilty move over and give them the courtesy of the sidewalk.

Glad you had a wonderful trip. After reading your comment on scooters and wheelchairs I wanted to mention this. My personal attitude on wheelchairs are different than scooters. If you are using a wheelchair and need one to get around Disney due to an illness or arthritis, then God bless you! You are a better person than I am trying to navigate through the hordes of people.
My outlook on scooters are a little more aggresive. Again, if you have an ailment or medical condition that requires a scooter then OK. However, After going to Disney now for four years, I have seen some pretty poor excuses for needing a scooter and this past April while leaving the Fantasmic show I watched in dismay as some woman in a scooter was letting her child set in her lap next to the exit where we all were leaving the show and her kid decided to gas the pedal and caught the back calf of a young girl who was with her father. The woman in the scooter actually began yelling at the father of the girl. Some people on scooters don’t take any responsibility and can be rude themselves.
My other issue with scooters is that people use them simply because they are too lazy to walk. Not because of issues that you related but just lazy. I am 43 and by no stretch of the imagination skinny or some athlete but consider that the scooter needs to take up 3 seats on the bus then the person get off that then sits in another seat. That’s three seats that someone can’t use because of one. Simply put. There needs to be a legit reason for renting one. I say this because while there are some people with really nasty attitudes who would say things without thinking, there are those of us who see the other side of the coin as well.

[QUOTE=Seadragon7;954802]Glad you had a wonderful trip. After reading your comment on scooters and wheelchairs I wanted to mention this. My personal attitude on wheelchairs are different than scooters. If you are using a wheelchair and need one to get around Disney due to an illness or arthritis, then God bless you! You are a better person than I am trying to navigate through the hordes of people.
My outlook on scooters are a little more aggresive. Again, if you have an ailment or medical condition that requires a scooter then OK. However, After going to Disney now for four years, I have seen some pretty poor excuses for needing a scooter and this past April while leaving the Fantasmic show I watched in dismay as some woman in a scooter was letting her child set in her lap next to the exit where we all were leaving the show and her kid decided to gas the pedal and caught the back calf of a young girl who was with her father. The woman in the scooter actually began yelling at the father of the girl. Some people on scooters don’t take any responsibility and can be rude themselves.
My other issue with scooters is that people use them simply because they are too lazy to walk. Not because of issues that you related but just lazy. I am 43 and by no stretch of the imagination skinny or some athlete but consider that the scooter needs to take up 3 seats on the bus then the person get off that then sits in another seat. That’s three seats that someone can’t use because of one. Simply put. There needs to be a legit reason for renting one. I say this because while there are some people with really nasty attitudes who would say things without thinking, there are those of us who see the other side of the coin as well.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you! Hats off to you!:heart::wub:

I don’t want my trip report to turn into a scooter debate. All I know is my Mom definitely needs one and and many people like Seadragon7 obviously are pre-judgmental that she is abusing the system. Over and over again this trip I saw looks and heard vocal comments. It was pitiful to make my 72 year old Mom feel guity and apologizing to people on the bus every time we “took 3 seats that someone can’t use because of one.” on the bus.

Oh, yay, another Tr. This is great!!!. I am so glad to hear your trip was wonderful. I cannot wait to hear more.

:ohmy: Sorry you had a rough time but glad you had a great trip! can’t wait to hear more.

[QUOTE=bethishooked;954782]Just got back tonight from Disney. Will start trip report soon, but will leave with some notes:

1. Have a new outlook on wheelchairs. Mom had to use a scooter due to extreme arthritis. There are some very shallow, cold, rude people out there, with very vocal opinions. Shame on them!

2. Had the best sandwich I have ever had in my entire life…at Earl of Sandwich (my first time there!).

3. Never knew I had so much giggling capability. My whole household is boys (even the dog) so going with Mom was such a wonderful experience. We giggled the entire trip!

4. Hats off to Disney. Every Cast Member was a joy, going above and beyond to accomodate Mom. Every ride, store, food. They all were great with her limitations.

5. Still crowded. It was a wierd trip in a way that the sidewalks and walkways were so crowded, but then went in Haunted Mansion with only 10 minute wait. It was like no one were on the rides, but were just “walking.” (And banging into Mom’s scooter!)

6. Beautiful weather. 83 degrees, fluffy clouds in the sky and light breeze. Perfect days, weather wise.

7. Connecting rooms. Had one this time (not with anyone we knew, just kept the door locked), with a very loud family, screaming at each other in the morning. You can’t believe how loud it can be. I’m assuming the connecting door is not insulated.

8. Recommend taking a trip with Mom’s, Dad’s, Grandma’s, Grandpa’s, etc. You take such a different look at Disney through their eyes, at a slower pace. Just an absolute wonderful memory![/QUOTE]

I love your #3. We went with our dd and dgd on our last trip to wdw and we did a lot of giggling too. So special and what fun. :wub:

I never said she abused anything and I gave her props for going as well. Don’t put words in my mouth I did not say about you mom. I do hope you and your mom had a great time and hope to see more of your posts in the future. Take care.

I did not think you said anything wrong either. My parents had to use one as well. They just could not do all that walking and expect to keep up with us. My dad is 75 and my mom is 68 and they both needed one to get around. There are many areas in Disney that people abuse certain things, scooters being one of them. I do think about 90% of people are legit and truly need one. I hope to hear more about your trip. Sounds like you had a blast.

I too love your #3, there is nothing like a good laugh with your mom to make your heart fill with happiness!

Looking forward to reading your report!:happy:
Sorry people were rude to your mom being in a scooter.

Agree on the scooters. You really need it with cerebral palsy, broken leg, etc. I’ll open the doors for you! But honestly, obese and some elderly need to reconsider the need for holding up everyone for their inconsideration. Find a new plan.

I can’t wait to read your TR.

I’m glad you had a great time with your mom!

My hubby and I went last January with just my MIL and it was really great.
I totally enjoyed her company.

And yes, she had a scooter too. She has a bad hip and can only walk short distances (like, 20 feet) without alot of pain. I’m sure people saw her get out of her scoooter and walk into store and gave us some nasty looks, but they don’t know the full situation so I dont really care what they think. I had a few choice words for people who dared to say something as well.

I am sure there are abuses of scooters in WDW, but probably not as many as people think. Not every disability is obvious at first glance.

Also, scooters are much easier for people than wheelchairs - it allows them more freedom than a wheelchair does, and I think that’s great!

WDW would be much nicer if everyone would just be courteous of each other - scooter, wheelchair, or walking :slight_smile:

Its important to remember that everyone is there for a fun time, not to ruin your day.

Was this the first time your mom used a scooter? I’m just wondering how hard they are to get use to.

My DD and DGD got to take a trip about a year ago and it was great. I wish we get to do it again some time. But maybe not go on dumbo 47000 times:laugh:

Yes, this was the first time. The first night pulling it into the room to recharge it was probably the hardest I have ever laughed in my life. Sitting there watching her figure it out, trying to park it was too funny. Seeing she wasn’t as familiar with it, I always had to ride it up the ramp and park it on the bus, and then take it off the bus. She was too worried about accidently running into someone. But, quick enough, she did get comfortable with it and could maneuver around pretty easily.

One of the funniest things I have seen was at EPCOT. There was an elderly lady on her scooter trying to get out of the park. Well we all know that it is a massive crowd all leaving at the same time. She must have had enough of the “shallow, cold, rude people out there with, very vocal opinions.” She was blowing her horn and yelling at people to get out of her way. Most people were caught off guard and laughed as she got past.

Deleted my comment.

I’m sorry for being one of the hijackers :heart: please forgive me :heart: i

You might want to edit your first post to include in bold letters “My TR is not a scooter debate!” :laugh:

It’s a shame that people who abuse the system create a bad reputation for those who actually need a scooter or wheelchair to navigate around the World (and it’s an awfully big world - I can see why a scooter is necessary, especially for the elderly… I would not want my 80-year-old grandfather walking around MK!).

Now, I can’t wait to hear more about your trip!