I'm Beginning To Not Like Planning Disneyworld Expeditions

So here I am, 2 months out from our annual October trip and I’m trying to plan.
I say try because as much as I look at my planner, I just don’t like locking in my life 2 months in advance with no idea what the weather will be, what we’ll feel like doing, etc.
I used to be able to plan dining and evening activities, but it’s the newest wrinkle that Disney has rolled out that is the biggest pain for planners. That’s right, fast pass reservations this far out just so you can be sure you’ll be getting on a ride…eventually.

So the way I feel now is, I’d really rather not have the pressure of planning down to the second a day far in the future. After all, this is Disney World, not a NASA moon mission.

But at least I got a fast pass for Seven Dwarfs in the daylight, so there’s that.
Now, let’s see if I can get Toy Story, Soarin’, and Test Track.

I agreed. With just the two of us and taking at least one trip a yr, it’s not so bad. But throw in a few kids and bad weather and changing park hours and everything is a mess.

I love getting a ride or two ready to go, but I so wish they still had that you could get FP at the rides.

I agree. I used to love planning our Disney trip. An ADR most days and a general plan of where we’re starting each day but nothing firm. Now we have to know exactly what ride we want to go on at certain time each day. I don’t like it and probably never will. We liked the flexibility of the old fastpass and miss it greatly. Now we don’t feel like we can wake up in the morning and vary from our plan we made two months ago.

That said, at 60 days our we got all the fastpasses we wanted at the times we wanted with no issues. I’m not even sure I booked everything on exactly day 60. Then I changed our plans at maybe two weeks out and got a Toy Story fastpass with our choice of times. I was surprised I had so many options when trying to match our fastpass with a friend so close to our trip.

I think the only place that it really matters to plan out fastpass so far in advance is EPCOT. There are so few fast passes, that you need them for other rides during the day. When you get to MK, there are 26 choices… not so many at EPCOT…

While we do dining reservations, we do NOT do FP reservations. We go where we want to go and wait in line. Long waits yes, but we have been so many times that we just go and relax and take our time. It we get on 3 or 4 attractions so be it.

I’m quickly approaching the 60 day mark for our honeymoon, an I am definitely not looking forward to making these FP reservations. It’s bad enough I had to make so many ADR’s. All this pre-planning is fun and stressing all at the same time. Fun, just simply because I am doing something Disney, but I like to be more spontaneous than this.

I dislike the system a lot! Some trips back, we were standing in line at Space Mountain and everyone had their faces in their cell phones instead of enjoying each others company. I counted 100 people around me and 31 people were on the phone. ONE THIRD were ignoring their family and surroundings. I blame MDE and FPs alot, as it’s training everyone to not be spontaneous. They are looking at wait times, FP times, etc. A few trips back, we had FPs planned and I found myself stressing over the timing of it all. DH and myself placed the cell phones on the counter in our room, headed out and felt relieved, free and happy. From then on, only plan 7 Dwarfs Mine Train every day, and if we are there around the time it’s schedule, then we will ride it…if not, oh well.

I have a wait time app on my phone. Just wait times, nothing else.
Yes, I do use the phone to check times and also to check radar.
Other than that, I really have little reason to even have my phone out of my pocket.

When it was first implemented I didn’t think I would like it. I’ve used it several times since then and have decided I really do like it. I print out my fastpass times and carry that paper with me so I don’t have to mess with my phone unless I’m changing something. Plus, the app seems to take forever to load sometimes. I’ve found it fairly easy to change your plans (unless you want a fp for something like 7 Dwarfs). I do wish they would let you park hop with the fastpasses.

This system to me can be good and it can be bad at the same time. I would like some flexibility that this system just does not seem to offer. What I hate is how it makes you choose three rides and it may pick them for you if you do not choose three and they try to put the times close together.

Oh God, this new system is a nightmare! We started trying to figure this out last night. We can’t book any foot the first day because nothing really fit between arrival time and our ADR later that night. We managed to book some the second and third day, but by the time we did all that, he had a headache and I was ready to go to bed. Ug! I think I’m going to try the “we’ll book then, but if we don’t make it to them it doesn’t matter” approach when I continue. See if that helps.

Just so you know, if you don’t like the time frames you are offered, select one of them to finalize it and then go back in to “modify” as it will give you an option to change the time which usually gives you additional options.

We’ve done two trips with the FP+ fully implemented. How I wish I had gone during that “golden” period when people were getting FP+ AND still pulling FPs at the rides.

The first trip was with my DS, his wife and DGS. And me and DH. Trying to pick rides, will a 2 yr like this ride, will he be grumpy, will he be napping?..actually those last two could be applied to DH too. What time will everyone wake up? How to plan rides and food? I too felt exhausted by the time I was done.

For the next trip, it was just DH and I. We made the FP+ but with the thought if we make them fine, if not who cares. We aren’t going to hang around a park longer than we want just because of a FP+.

I just returned from a trip to Disneyland, and I can tell you that they are way behind WDW in the FP area. We really missed using the magic bands and choosing Fps ahead of time. It was an adjustment for for me at WDW but now that it’s been implemented, I like the system. We don’t usually choose a lot of Fps anyway so the new system works well for us—especially the awesome magic bands. I hated having to always take my CC and or room key out of my wallet last week!! :slight_smile: That’s my favorite part. We don’t do a lot of planning and last years visit to WDW, we didn’t. We got our 3 Fps 2 days out of the 6th and that was that…got the must do’s done and then “let it go”…and we saw and did everything.

Thanks for that tip, Beth. I thought modify would just being me back to all the choices I had previously. This might actually help a lot. I’m actually kind of weird to try it.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1919095123]We’ve done two trips with the FP+ fully implemented. How I wish I had gone during that “golden” period when people were getting FP+ AND still pulling FPs at the rides.

The first trip was with my DS, his wife and DGS. And me and DH. Trying to pick rides, will a 2 yr like this ride, will he be grumpy, will he be napping?..actually those last two could be applied to DH too. What time will everyone wake up? How to plan rides and food? I too felt exhausted by the time I was done.

For the next trip, it was just DH and I. We made the FP+ but with the thought if we make them fine, if not who cares. We aren’t going to hang around a park longer than we want just because of a FP+.[/QUOTE]

Jo-jo, you just made me smile. Thank you for that. I needed it.

smallworld, I am definitely looking forward to using the magic bands. This will be my first trip using them. I think I’ll really going to like that aspect.

I agree! I didn’t like the sound of planning out FP’s 2 months in advance… it’s a bit ridiculous honestly. And I definitely think a lot of people feel that frustration too. I don’t believe it’s something that will grow on me… at all. It’s actually making me care less about getting FP in general. In my most recent vacation to WDW, DF and I didn’t even do a single FP reservation. None. Zero. We have been to WDW before so maybe we cared a little less about potentially skipping lines with longer waits, sure. But I truly feel bad for the first time WDW vacationers; because although it’s meant to be helpful and user friendly; I know for a fact a lot of people struggle with it.

Also, in my job as a Disney vacation I’m seeing A LOT more complaints about the inconvenience and frustrations associated with this new FP+ business.

Not a fan!

I can see the point to this post, however, I am a HUGE planner and love the planning-I feel like it allows me to just relax on vacation because everything has been taken care of in advance…with that said though, I’m totally bummed!
Today is exactly 60 days from our anniversary weekend, and the dining reservations have been made and the fast passes have been penciled in for 2 weeks. At the stroke of midnight (again, exactly 60 days prior-the EARLIEST possible time I could make my FP+ reservations), there was absolutely NO availability for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train! :crying: And, unfortunately, because it’s just a long weekend, and it’s during MVMCP, the MK hours are pretty limited (it’s also the last weekend of Epcot Food and Wine, so we plan to spend most of our time there)…Anyway, just needed to vent over the fact that, even as someone who loves to plan, I was very frustrated because now we probably won’t get to ride it at all this trip…

[QUOTE=SnazzyCMB;1919095155]I can see the point to this post, however, I am a HUGE planner and love the planning-I feel like it allows me to just relax on vacation because everything has been taken care of in advance…with that said though, I’m totally bummed!
Today is exactly 60 days from our anniversary weekend, and the dining reservations have been made and the fast passes have been penciled in for 2 weeks. At the stroke of midnight (again, exactly 60 days prior-the EARLIEST possible time I could make my FP+ reservations), there was absolutely NO availability for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train! :crying: And, unfortunately, because it’s just a long weekend, and it’s during MVMCP, the MK hours are pretty limited (it’s also the last weekend of Epcot Food and Wine, so we plan to spend most of our time there)…Anyway, just needed to vent over the fact that, even as someone who loves to plan, I was very frustrated because now we probably won’t get to ride it at all this trip…[/QUOTE]

Wow! I’ve never had a problem getting the fastpasses I want and even had several Seven Dwarfs Mine Train options to choose from 2 weeks out the last time we went. I wonder why there aren’t any available? Any chance it’s closed for a refurb that weekend?